Scion XB Forum banner

Help! Plasti-Dip

9K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  sjthompson01 
#1 ·
I have put a matte black vinyl overlay on my front bumper to black out the middle bar. not only did it take 3 hours with 2 people, but in the Florida heat it shrank a goon inch from either side and now the edges are uneven. i don't want to go though another wasted day of applying and reapplying the vinyl. i have heard of plasti dip but am uneasy about just spraying it on the car. anyone done this before and ave any suggestions.

#2 ·
plasti dip ftw! real easy to use i did my hub caps and my bumpers on my silverado..real easy to do wipe dwn the area ur gona spray..mask off areas u dont want to be plastidipped ...start with a light even coat and let dry repeat adding more coats..and let sit so it dries well and u should be good..best part is that this stuff peels right off... its been lasting for a while holda up fine during reg washes with a pressure wash....id say go for it stuffs preety cheap at home depot $7 a can i think

#3 ·
cool, so it wont ruin the clear coat or anything, because if my little brother doesn't total it while he learns to drive id like to have some resale value on it. and you used matte black?

#5 ·
Could you post a photo of the finished look?

#7 ·
alright so i bought the paint on can from ace hardware and i have the pros and cons that i couldn't find online now.

plasti-dip feels and appears after it has dried like vinyl. it is absolutely the same color as the matte black vinyl that i used for my bumper so i said **** it an touched up the sides instead of taking off the vinyl.

the reason people use vinyl instead of plasti-dip, or at least from what i just experienced, is because plasti-dip is thick and once it contacts the surface it goops up and is lumpy. in small coatings it flattens out but in large quantities it looks like you tried to use play dough. i highly recommend using the spray can kind because that will leave an even coating that a foam paint brush just cant do. also when using tape to give it an even edge, immediately remove it after you have applied the dip. it adheres very quickly and unless you want to us a razor the tape has to go, it will hold it shape.

so in the future i will use the spray can and take the tape off immediately.

ill probably stick with vinyl for larger stuff and the dip for touch up

#8 ·
yeah, i applied a few coats to my bumper and wasnt happy how the tape pulled up. good news is when i peeled it off it came off quick, clean and easy. not sure if im gonna try the bumper again. ive used it on mirrors and door handles and all over the interior.

#9 ·
Also, vinyl has become the defacto-standard for non-permanent graphic and color change mods. Plasti-Dip is relatively brand new and people are just catching on to its benefits, pros and cons, and best applications. It will probably become much, much more common.

#11 ·
its cool, im going to use it on my old wheel covers so i have a black set :biggrin:

#13 ·
alright so i probably wont keep them like this but here's what i came up with. seen this done a lot and i think it ties the look of my car together.

thanks to the great driving skills of the previous owner of my xb the wheel covers were all scratched. so the first thing i did was buy a new pair but kept the old ones just in case and now i know why :)

http://www.newscionxb.com/members/1...est-plasti-dip-old-scratched-wheel-covers.jpg

http://www.newscionxb.com/members/12774-08xbstock-albums-my-scion-xb-picture549-dscn0250.jpg

#14 ·
alright so i probably wont keep them like this but here's what i came up with. seen this done a lot and i think it ties the look of my car together.

thanks to the great driving skills of the previous owner of my xb the wheel covers were all scratched. so the first thing i did was buy a new pair but kept the old ones just in case and now i know why :)

http://www.newscionxb.com/members/1...est-plasti-dip-old-scratched-wheel-covers.jpg

http://www.newscionxb.com/members/12774-08xbstock-albums-my-scion-xb-picture549-dscn0250.jpg

wow I have wheels and I like this alot. excellent work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.