Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I started painting the interior parts of my dash and I have a few questions. BTW I have 09 Release 6.0

1. How can I remove the silver pices on the steering wheel?

2. I am painting the door trim that has the window buttons and the lock buttons- how to I keep the handle caompartment where the screw is from getting painted? I tried tape but it came out very crocked...any ideas?

3. How can i remove the guage covers around the speedometer so I can paint it?

Thanks for the help guys! I did a search so if I missed a post please let me know where to go.

·
Registered
528 Posts
1. Torx bit from behind the wheel. Either a 10 or 11 Torx, I can not recall. Make sure the battery has been disconnected for about 5 minutes or so prior to removing the air bag. Do NOT want it going off in your face. Especially with a screwdriver in your hand... Rest is self explanitory.

2. Could tape, then use an X-acto knife to cut it out how you want it. I just had my painter paint the inside of the bucket. No big deal.

3. Have to pop the surround that extends from the bezel itself, all the way to the driver's side vent, off. Then you'll have to remove the 4 Phillips head screws holding the gauge cluster in. Unplug the wiring, unscrew the back of the panel, pop the clear part off, then you should be able to remove it. Pretty self explanitory. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xseveredveganx said:
1. Torx bit from behind the wheel. Either a 10 or 11 Torx, I can not recall. Make sure the battery has been disconnected for about 5 minutes or so prior to removing the air bag. Do NOT want it going off in your face. Especially with a screwdriver in your hand... Rest is self explanitory.

2. Could tape, then use an X-acto knife to cut it out how you want it. I just had my painter paint the inside of the bucket. No big deal.

3. Have to pop the surround that extends from the bezel itself, all the way to the driver's side vent, off. Then you'll have to remove the 4 Phillips head screws holding the gauge cluster in. Unplug the wiring, unscrew the back of the panel, pop the clear part off, then you should be able to remove it. Pretty self explanitory. :D
How much did you get charged for painting parts?

Whats a Bezel? Do the buttons that come out of the guage come out or do they stay there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just removed the 2 silver pieces on my steering wheel - it wasn't hard at all. The torx i used was a 27. For the speedometer, once you pop off the clear cover, you have to remove 4 screws on the back to pop off the black housing, to get to the silver piece to paint...

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So wait.....how do you take the silver pieces off? not the steering wheel, but the ones around the vents, the AC controls, the mirror controls on the left, the silver parts around the shifter? Do they just snap off or what?

·
Registered
162 Posts
the air vents have 3 screw behind them. They just come off with a little tug. The shifter part come off by pulling the bottom side stright up and it snaps off. The side mirror part I cant't remember.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the side mirror control panel just pops of with a tug u might have to pop the dash up a lil to put it back on and the ac vent on the pass side u have to take the dash off or if u don't want to take it out u can take the 2 screws out by the radio and pop up the dash by the vent far enof to get your hands through and there are 3 screws holding that vent on just like the driver side vent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.