Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way home from work there are a ton of frieght trucks and now i got a couple of small rock chips on my front bumper and hood. Does anyone know a good way to repair the paint back to normal?

· Registered
614 Posts
I use the touch-up paint (small bottle with brush) I got from the dealer. While it helps covering the chips, it is by no means, back to normal. You can definitely tell it was touched up when you get up-close.

· Registered
27 Posts
I travel 100 miles each day on the highway. To add insult to injury, I have a white one whose chips show up like a sore thumb. I found Dr. Color Chip to work best for me. They give you a "rubbing compound" to delete all excess paint so you're left with just filling the pot hole. The compound works via a chemical process, not an abrasive one, so it doesn't booger up the surrounding good paint. Unless it's just a scratch, I ignore their "smear" instructions and just work to best fill the chip with a good quality small brush. Much less wastefull of the paint and compound. It works and looks good once you get the hang of it, but of course it's not an invisible repair. My 2 cents.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone thanks for all the help now i have a few choices to choose from to try and get this eye soar of a chip repaired.

· Registered
4 Posts
I travel 100 miles each day on the highway. To add insult to injury, I have a white one whose chips show up like a sore thumb. I found Dr. Color Chip to work best for me. They give you a "rubbing compound" to delete all excess paint so you're left with just filling the pot hole. The compound works via a chemical process, not an abrasive one, so it doesn't booger up the surrounding good paint. Unless it's just a scratch, I ignore their "smear" instructions and just work to best fill the chip with a good quality small brush. Much less wastefull of the paint and compound. It works and looks good once you get the hang of it, but of course it's not an invisible repair. My 2 cents.
+1

also drive 80+ miles highway daily. Clear vinyl done right goes a long way IMO. Take a close look at a Porsche GT2 or GT3 RS on the road. Clear vinyl pretty much covers entire body. and would hardly ever know it

· Registered
116 Posts
If you really want them to 'disappear,' the secret is finding out who repairs them at one of your local dealership's used car departments and then hire that person to fix yours - cause they usually work on the side too.

It will cost around $75 but once a year or so keeps the front end looking like new because usually these guys are very fast and very good - which is why the dealers hire them in the first place. Just ask who they use for their stone chip repairs. Sometimes they also do paintless dent removal as well. I've used a guy here in San Diego for years and he can fix just about everything.

· Registered
559 Posts
If you really want them to 'disappear,' the secret is finding out who repairs them at one of your local dealership's used car departments and then hire that person to fix yours - cause they usually work on the side too.

It will cost around $75 but once a year or so keeps the front end looking like new because usually these guys are very fast and very good - which is why the dealers hire them in the first place. Just ask who they use for their stone chip repairs. Sometimes they also do paintless dent removal as well. I've used a guy here in San Diego for years and he can fix just about everything.
IMO. We have people come every tuesday and thursday. They do all the touch up and panel work for our used cars or small lot damaged cars. They do good work. Id use them for small stuff but big stuff is kinda sketchy because ive seen them out back painting when the winds blowing hard and i know theres gotta be some debris in there.

· Registered
116 Posts
Yea, I wasn't suggesting them for more than mostly touch up or paintless dent removal. Big jobs usually require a spray booth if you want a really good outcome. I've seen some amazing interior repair type guys too - for rips and tears in fabrics and leather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.