Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this board.

First of all, I own a 2008 Super White Scion XB. It currently has about 18,200 miles on it. Own it for almost 2 years now.

Two months ago, I got into a car accident. My rear bumper got smashed and my exhuast muffler got bent badly.

I just ordered a new bumper, and a N1 catback exhuast system.

Just got my exhuast system installed on Friday night by Midas. I've been hearing a big rattle under my cars body (only hear it once in a while and kind of annoying) and I am wondering if its vibrating to the point where its hitting that cover shield that was on top of the old exhuast systyem and should I remove it? If I do maybe I should let Midas to remove it for me...or could I do it myself? Sorry don't know much about cars.

For bumper, I had a friend of mine painted for me. It's still winter and cold here in Minnesota. I'm wondering should I install the bumper now or wait till its warm because it might affect my new paint?

The same goes for my chrome pillar posts too. I have those for a week now, still wondering if I am going to install it this time around or should wait till it's warm. I just want everything done ASAP :)

Sorry for the long typing...

Thank you all for the help.

· Registered
326 Posts
First off, welcome. I would have midas put it on the lift and have them check it, could be somthing covered under warranty since they did the install, have them look at the catalytic converter, when you got hit it could have snapped one of the mounts as theyre paper thin. Put the bumper on now, the paint is dry so the cold will have no effect. I would suggest holding off on the chrome pillars as they are installed with tape if I remember correctly, unless you have a heated space to do the install. Let us know how you made out. :D

· Registered
528 Posts
When you say an "N1 catback exhuast system" what setup are you specifically speaking of?
I remember someone purchased and installed a full 3" stainless system with an angled N1 style can, and it was rattling on the car. Turned out it was indeed hitting something. I can't recall what, but I'd do like what Goldtouch recommended and check with Midas and see if they have any suggestions. Better to have the original installer have a look at it before you start fiddling! :D

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have Midas recheck it. Already made an appointment. It was ratteling again today when I turn on the engine. I press my thumb down against the exhuast tip and it stop ratteling. I think it is the converter or something else that's not holding the exhuast system tightly in it's place. I'll make sure to put the bumper on sometimes today or tomorrow since it's 35-40 degrees:)

I am not sure what kind of set up I am speaking. I'm fairly new to cars (newbie...lol). But, the description of the exhuast is an N1 Catback Exhuast System. I think its the N1 Invidia...not sure, I ordered from ebay, maybe you guys can find it there. It's only $180 but it sounds great. Not too loud, not too quite just perfect for me.

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh btw, I'm just wondering since I've installed the new exhuast system, shouldn't the catalytic converter be new or good? Or is this thing seperated fromt he exhuast system? Cause when I still had on my old one, there was nothing that rattels up until I replace it with the new one.

· Registered
326 Posts
The cat should be good but you never know. I hit a piece of ice with mine, started ratteling when I was at an idle, when I crawled under the car I found that thearm that goes in the rubber was broken off. I was only doing 3 MPH as I was coming out of a car wash. But it was enough to rip the metal right off. Let us know how you made out.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, just got my exhuast fixed. They say the factory exhuast wasn't made perfectly the same way as the OEM exhuast. The pipe that connected to the muffler was a bit diff from the original one and the brackets were lose I think. So they just kind of move it around and now its okay (for now).

As for the bumper, gosh its hard. It's not even budging. Anyone have a DIY of the rear bumper??? Cause I went to abra to get an estimate on it and it was around $75-$150. Cost too much just for a bumper.

I've seen alot of 2nd gen XB here in st. paul and minneapolis.
Like to wave soemtimes to other xb drivers but they dont wave back...kind of makes you look stupid. lol!.

Well, thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.