Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a MobileHID kit for my low beams a few weeks ago.
Been so busy so haven't had a chance to install them.
Finally had some time today so I took the kit down to my car, opened the hood, then started reading the instructions.

Ok... I am totally new to this. Heck, the only thing I've done in my life was just replacing a burned-out bulb in my first car.

Does anybody have detailed instructions with pictures for installing the HID conversion kit?
Every little details as such as where and how to mount the ballasts and etc.

Appreciate any help or if anybody around here (Ontario, CA) can help me out with the install, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've seen the instruction manual.
I've looked at the site.
If I was really good with these things, I probably would have figured it out already like many of you here.
Unfortunately, I'm not too good with these things.

The only problem I have is I don't know where to mount the ballasts.
If anybody installed HID conversion kits, I'd really appreciate it if you can tell me where you guys mounted the ballasts. By the way, if you tell me where it was installed, I probably wouldn't know where that is... Picture's worth a 1,000 words, right?

Please please show me where you guys installed your ballasts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hey man was just teasin with you earlier. I know the perfect place to mount them but can't think of how to describe it. I may have to take a picture to show you. Its basically those flat support section inside the fenders. They are perfect for mounting the ballasts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eviljack said:
I know the perfect place to mount them but can't think of how to describe it. I may have to take a picture to show you. Its basically those flat support section inside the fenders. They are perfect for mounting the ballasts.
Over here like this?

This is what I plan on doing tonight unless I get some replies with better places by the end of the afternoon...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Yeah thats where I plan to put it when I do mine later. Its a nice flat spot right behind the headlights. Plus you already got holes to mount it to. I put a threaded rivit in there so when I do it I can just bolt it down.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up some industrial strength velcros and some long zip ties so I don't have to mess with any screws or drilling. I checked out some forums on Scionlife and it seems like velcro will do just fine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't taken pictures yet but they're great.
My other cars have stock HIDs and I couldn't stand the halogen.
So after doing some research, went with MobileHID kit and they're great.
My first after-market HID but so far, they look better than stock ones that come with Infiniti.

This is what I ended up doing with the ballasts.

I went to Home Depot and got some industrial strength velcro and some 24 inch zip ties.
There's a wall of sheet metal just inside of the fender. I used the velcro to place the ballast.
Felt strong enough but just in case, I used a zip tie to secure it more.
Both sides have the same metal sheet so both sides look the same.

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

Now I need to use some zip ties to secure and hide away all those loose cables.
But, so far, working great (only been like 12 hours).

·
Registered
528 Posts
I used the brackets that came with the kit, drilled out one of the holes, and mounted the bracket/ballast assembly on my strut tower. Works great!

I'll probably be selling my kit in lieu of a full retrofit with RX330 projectors, 50watt bulbs, and 55watt ballasts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
xseveredveganx said:
I used the brackets that came with the kit, drilled out one of the holes, and mounted the bracket/ballast assembly on my strut tower. Works great!
Can you upload a picture of your installation? I'd love to see how other people are doing it.

xseveredveganx said:
I'll probably be selling my kit in lieu of a full retrofit with RX330 projectors, 50watt bulbs, and 55watt ballasts.
Nice... 8)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KUBA said:
I got my HID kit from this guy, also if you need instructions on how to install your HIDs click this link:
http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/08ScionTCHIDInstructions.html

- Kuba
Welcome to the site.
Thanks for the link. Could've used it sooner but good instructions.
I'll probably bookmark it just in case same question comes up later.

MobileHID is great. Cliff is great.
I just wish he had different instructions for different cars instead of one generic manual.

How you like your HIDs? Which one did you get?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quality product, very good fitment, HIDs working great so far, have them on for few days only. We'll see how they're performing in long run.
I'll take a picture tonight if you wonder

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

I did the upgrade HID lights for my box at 250 miles. Purchase from ebay for about $160. It took me about 3hrs to install(first time). I bought the same one detailed in KUBA posted link. Big difference in visibility. I used the brackets that came with my kit to mount the ballast. Kit also came with tie-downs to hide cables. I can post pics if needed.

later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.