Scion XB Forum banner

hid fog light install, need help...

10K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Indk 
#1 ·
long time troller first time posting...

ok so i have been searching for weeks and im a bit confused about hooking up hid fogs. my car doesn't have any fogs but i already running hid lows for my headlights on a relay harness.

i just received my universal h3 projector fog lights and just ordered an h3 hid kit for the fogs. my question is do i need to hook up a second relay harness to get my fogs to run hid? is it safe or ok to run 2 separate relay harnesses, or unnecessary? i dont plan on using a switch im going to just wire them to the headlights.

any input is greatly appreciated...

#2 ·
couple unrelated pics of my xb

Attachments

#3 ·
If you use the same harness, the fogs will come on at the same time as the existing lights. Also, I don't know how much extra capacity the one harness has for 2 sets of lights. To be safe, I'd get another harness, they don't really cost that much more to have the extra protection.

#5 ·
ok so thats exactly the answer i was looking for... hook em up using a second relay harness, thank you!

and now i have no idea wheres a good place to mount the hid ballasts for the fogs, need some input guys

#6 ·
If I am just installing oem fogs is just plug and play no need for relay? I also have low beams hid no relay. I got a steal on new oem fogs for 2012

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
One set, it just plugs into the connectors already in the harness.

#10 · (Edited)
so these are the fogs i got on amazon for $25 shipped. then added a 8000k 35w hid kit from opt7 also on amazon for 39.99 shipped. total cost for custom hid projection fogs for 64.99!! you cant beat that, kit also came with a relay harness.

side note ive been running these opt7 8000k hids on my low beams for 9 months.

Attachments

#11 ·
Looks good! I got a set of ebay projector fog lights and the projectors themselves are just horrendous. They shoot light haphazardly all over the place. I was looking into getting a set of projectors like the ones you've got and retro them into the foglight housings, but I was wary of the output and if it had a clean cut-off line. Do you have any pictures of the fog light output?

I got a set of Opt7 Bolt HIDs for Christmas, but ended out returning them as there were numerous things wrong with the kit ranging from super loose bulbs to ballasts that flickered and blew fuses immediately. So back to the DDM kit that has been chugging along just fine.

#12 ·
didnt get them wired yet, it got dark outside and i began to get wife agro 3 hours into it lol

but as for opt7 i havent tried the bolt series but blitz series works well for me, ive been running them for 9 months, day and night...

#13 ·
I've gotta ask, the lights in your headlights are killer, what exactly are those? I know they're probably strips but what style?

#14 ·
Auto zone white side mounted led strips, cost $24.99 for a 2 pack

#16 ·
updated day time pics...

so today was the first time i could see my work in the daylight, i think it came out great. i had to work all day so i couldnt work on the hid wiring :( maybe on my next day off

Attachments

#18 ·
yea im gunna hook em up to the battery via a relay harness...and u know how when u hid low beams on a relay how u only use one side of the factory headlight harness, well im gunna hook up the fog relay up to the unused factory plug on the lows. that way i dont have to cut or splice the factory wiring.

my next day off is tuesday so that will be when i wire them up. only thing i gotta mod is i need to extend to wiring on the relay harness in order for it to reach the passenger side factory headlight harness.

#19 ·
update!

ok good news, i got a day off to work on the xb.

i got the ballasts mounted and relay installed, everything wired up and running! the 8000k hid fogs match perfectly with my low beams. it looks so sick! but its daytime, the true test is at night time. so i can wait for it to get dark outside. because i still have make sure they are angled right and whatnot. never the less here are daytime pics and i couldnt be happier with only spending $64.99 for the entire project.

i know u guys wanna see night time pics but let me know what u think...

Attachments

#20 ·
more pics, doesnt exactly show the cut off line for the fogs but shows a before and after. my wife was getting annoyed, so i just snapped some quick pics.

first pic is before fogs

second pic is after hid fog install

pics 3 and 4 are just night time pics

Attachments

#21 ·
Came out unbelievable man, nice job!

#24 ·
i currently have them hard wired to the low beams to make it easy, but my next project is going to be putting the fogs on a switch. if anything so i can gauge where the cut off is and if they need adjustments etc...plus adding switches is just plain cool. im thinking a light up blue one so it looks cool.

-Chance12XB,

id say the light output is nearly double and i can see the road in front of my xb for the first time ever.

overall im extremely happy with the outcome and highly recommend hid projection fog lights! im running 8000k so i cant imagine 5000k-6000k light output would be even better! but im loving this current setup

#27 ·
Ditched leds and got oem fogs installed today with yellow bulbs thanks to chris

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#28 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.