Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I've been so spoiled by HID headlights. My xB is usually commute only but last night, I actually had a chance to drive the car with my headlights on. OMG... It felt like back in the 90s when my headlight was really dim and it was really hard to pick things up until they came close. Also, I don't like that yellowish light.

I guess I have two options.

1. Change the bulbs only.
2. HID conversion kit.

If anybody has changed their bulbs or installed the conversion kit, please let me know.
If you can provide the brand, how they are working out for you, where and how much, and etc.

Any other information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance ^^

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Your options with bulbs alone are extremely limited - to get brighter, they need more power (i.e. 100w vs 55w), but you'll fry your wiring harness. Or you can get different colored bulbs, but then the more crisp white or blue you go, the fewer lumens they'll put out. So, that leaves HIDs. I got mine from MobileHID.com. Cliff is a great guy and his kits are high quality. Maybe a bit pricey, but IMHO, you get what you pay for w/ HIDs and his support & instructions are very helpful, if you need 'em :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, somethings I'm very cheap on. For example, door sills and bumper applique.
Heck, I wouldn't even pay $100 for the cargo liner from weather tech.
That's way too expensive for me for a piece of rubber.

HIDs are a little different. Ever since I first had them, I just can't go back.
Once they're in, they're supposed to last for lifetime (of the vehicle) so I wouldn't be cheap on them.
Plus, you get a bad kit, then you have to go through all the labor again...

Anyways, do you have any pictures? Which one did you get (lumens)? Low beam only? or both?

We need the H11, right?

* Isn't it interesting how all different websites have exact word-to-word description on their HID kits? :rofl:

Heck, just checked the price. $225 shipped. Not too bad at all. I remember when HID kits first started coming out, they were like $1200.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I found your feedback to MobileHID.com.

====================================================================================
I got my 6000k hid kit from MobileHID a couple of days ago and i am so happy it is the best not just because of the price...I am running thick tint on my headlights and they are still very bright and has a good cut off for a stock housing. Not only are the hids that good but MobileHID will take care of all your questions and unlike many sites that sell hids they know what they're talking about.

Thanks

-Eric
====================================================================================

I wonder whose Super White (LONGO) that is. If it's somebody that belongs to this forum, I'd like to get together so I can ask him to watch over my install. Maybe he lives a few miles away from me...

If anybody lives in SoCal (Inland Empire preferably), and have done this HID kit conversion, please come forward. As always, I'm offering a double-double from In-N-Out just for checking my install.

* I'm a little worried because I've never actually worked on a car before and thought I never would... but ever since I got the xB, things are changing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric said:
I got 6000k for just the low beams.
Hey Eric,

Just talked to Cliff at MobileHID. Sounds like a very nice guy.
Anyways, I asked him but for liability issues, he wasn't able to answer.
But he did tell me that in AZ, he has people that have 6000k and they haven't been pulled over.

I see that you live in Sacramento. Have you been pulled over with those lights?
Or do you mostly get away with them?

Anybody else with HIDs, please tell me what you guys have been getting away with.

Thanks.

* I'm on standby refreshing this every 2 minutes so I can place an order with Cliff. *

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the 8000k kit from MobileHid.com. Great kit and Cliff is a helluvaguy. :yes: However, I wouldn't suggest 8000K. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably go a bit less kelvin. The output is great, but the light that is emitted is dark.
*BUT* It's absolutely nothing like having actual HID projectors. I have about 3 spots of glare that go above any given cut off.

There's no "kit" for a retrofit, either. There have been a couple people on scionlife that are in the middle of or have completed a full on retrofit. If you want more info, let me know. I'm still trying to find the right projectors that will actually fit in the OEM xB2 housings without too much trouble.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
wangster said:
Hey Eric,

I see that you live in Sacramento. Have you been pulled over with those lights?
Or do you mostly get away with them?
No, I haven't gotten pulled over, but then again, I don't drive too much at night & if I do, it's short trips to get something at the grocery store. We'll see when we get closer to winter and I actually leave work when it's dark out....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know everyone swears by the Mobile HID kit and im sure its great but i order mine off of ebay from A&R Motorsports and theyve been excellent. My total with shipping and everything was like 185 or 187. and thats shipped to hawaii! The cust service of those guys over at A&R is really good too. The link they sent me in the box to get the install instructions didnt seem to work for me so i emailed them and within 15 min i had recieved an email with the actual lnk and a phone call immediately after to let me know they sent me the link and that it was case sensative. ive had it for about 2 months now and i will never go back to regular halogen ( i dont even like saying that word anymore, halogen, makes me quiver. :rofl:) bulbs. I looked 2 days ago and they are still selling the kit. Oh and just like the mobile hid it does come with a precut wiring harness and all. I give them 2 hands up!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.