Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have fun in high cross winds?
I had been on vacation in NC all week and drove home to NY yesterday , OMG.... what a ride we had high cross winds the whole way ,my arms and hands hurt when we got home . Midway through PA it started snowing and about the time we NY it was bad , cars in ditches ,blowing snow white outs , nice drive but even though the XBs suck in cross winds it got us home safe but what a drive

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Really?
I hadn't noticed the B being too bad in crosswinds.

Compared to my old '87 VW Vanagon (Wolfsburg Ed), the xB doesn't have much cross-wind issue at all. I'd have to drive that one with the steering wheel cranked to keep it tracking straight and adjust to truck "blow off" wind when passing a semi.
If you aren't used to something affected that has tall, fairly flat sides, the xB might be a bit more than you'd expect. I could see that . . .

I drove down state to Charleston, South Carolina today in a considerable wind w/o much issue, esp. compared to that old Gen 3 Bus.

· Registered
782 Posts
I have mine modestly lowered with a rear swaybar and although I definitely felt the crosswinds, I wouldn't say they were a problem. I did have to counter slightly via the steering wheel though. But hey, you haven't felt crosswinds until you drive an original VW bus in them -- now that's a real treat :)!

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Really?
I hadn't noticed the B being too bad in crosswinds.

Compared to my old '87 VW Vanagon (Wolfsburg Ed), the xB doesn't have much cross-wind issue at all. I'd have to drive that one with the steering wheel cranked to keep it tracking straight and adjust to truck "blow off" wind when passing a semi.
If you aren't used to something affected that has tall, fairly flat sides, the xB might be a bit more than you'd expect. I could see that . . .

I drove down state to Charleston, South Carolina today in a considerable wind w/o much issue, esp. compared to that old Gen 3 Bus.
I have mine modestly lowered with a rear swaybar and although I definitely felt the crosswinds, I wouldn't say they were a problem. I did have to counter slightly via the steering wheel though. But hey, you haven't felt crosswinds until you drive an original VW bus in them -- now that's a real treat :)!
Ain't THAT the truth!
(See above)

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Im in Az, what are crosswinds?
If a serious question and not sarcasm, . . .
Crosswinds are when winds blow from the side, rather than from the front or back. The term comes from the days if sailing ships, when wind direction played a HUGE difference as to navigation, speed, and where/how fast one could maneuver their vessel.
The term is more recently known primary in regards to aircraft operations where crosswinds are when the wind is going side-to-side rather than a plane flying against (headwind) or with (tailwind) the prevailing winds. Crosswinds need to be accounted for as they can blow a flying plan off-course and make routine landings interesting or even quite scary as the crosswind (wind blowing across the runway) tries to blow the plan out-of-line when landing or even off the side when touching down or braking/stopping.

The term crosswind applies to automobiles in regards to winds blowing across the road in a way that tries to push vehicles out-of-lane or even off-road. Usually, they aren't strong enough to be felt at all by the driver, but high crosswinds can play havoc with a vehicle and especially a light, tall, slab-sided one (of which the VW Bus -of the first three generations esp.- is a perfect example). That said, ANY vehicle can be affected. Winds through valleys in Germany are known to take a Porsche doing 180-200 MPH right off a bridge, which is why autobahn bridges have large windsocks on them.

That make sense?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Yep . . .
Been told that before . . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.