Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if has been talked about before (I did a search and didn't find anything) but has anybody tried a hitch mounted cargo carrier?

I really don't want to use a roof rack (aerodynamics :) ) so I was wondering if anybody has gone this route.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would steer away from that kind of adapter with any kind of substantial load like a shelf. For a bike or ski rack OK but not for something heavy as it is prone to bending and it moves the center of gravity even farther away from the axles efectively reducing capacity.

Several companies make 1.25" receiver shelves but they are usually more than the 2" variety. I recently adapted my existing 2" shelf by adding a section of 1.25" square tubing (3/16ths wall) centered inside the full length of the 2" tube. The 2" tube slips over the outside of my 1.25" receiver and the hitch pin goes through both bars. The only down side to this whole setup is I can no longer use the shelf on my 2" receiver with a standard 2" hitch pin as the hole in the 1.25" member is sized for the smaller pin. On the rare occasion I use the shelf in my 2" receiver It just rattles a bit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

How much weight are you carrying? I'm just planning a couple suit cases or something like that.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Class I hidden-hitch from etrailer.com. Fits perfectly under the bumper, with only the reciever visible. The install was a breeze, uses existing bolt holes in the underframe.150 lb tounge weight, 2000lb towing capacity. The tray as you see it here is pretty much completey filled up and covered. On it is, obviously, my son's derby car all wrapped up. Inside the car are a few small bags of tools and rags, as well as a pair of folding chairs. The yellow you see under the car is a pair of folding plastic sawhorses. Works very well set up like this for us.

DOH! Weight: The derby car is about 110, with at most 30 more pounds of tools and chairs.

And a partial shot of the tray empty:

·
Registered
73 Posts
As much as I hate asking for more photos from someone nice enough to post anything - could you possibly give us a shot of your xB unfettered by any shelf or equipment? Basically what I'm trying to see is how the hitch looks with nothing connected (as in day-to-day driving.) Your help is definitely appreciated.

Michael

G

·
search out forum we have those types of pics some place already on here.

Thanks for helping out and posting pics. Karma to you for your help. Seeing your pic gives me a nice visual as I have a NBM to :).

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
OK, only took me 14 hours :) Sleep and a party...

Anyway, these are 2 I just took , in the dark with plenty of flash.

This first one is from about 4-5 inches off the driveway, so you can see just a small bit of the hitch. When looking at the rear from a standing position, only the reciever is visible.

And here's another, shot from the right rear bumper, standing. Camera level is just about 5 feet off the driveway. All you can see here is the small square of the reciever. (anybody wanna come over and wash my car for me while I sleep?) And yes, that's a huge gouge you see in my bumper. Did that one myself, backed into a fence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OC Tom said:
Thanks for the replies.

How much weight are you carrying? I'm just planning a couple suit cases or something like that.

Thanks again!
I carried two loaded 70qt ice chests 12 hours on it the last time I used it. I don't know what they weighed but they were heavy.
Before I assembled the shelf with the 1.25" tubing I put the 30" section of tube in the receiver and stood on the free end. No permanent deflection even with 250 lbs.

Just a word of warning when I bought my xB I asked the salesman about the towing capacity. He immediately spouted off 1500 lbs. Having done my research prior and knowing towing is not factory recomended I asked for his source. Eventually he pulled out the owners manual and discovered "towing not recommended" He then proceeded to tell me if the xB showed up at the dealership with a hitch mounted I would be risking my warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.