Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I havent been on since I TRDed my suspenion,But I have a new problem.When I come to a stop while in drive or reverse(like waiting at a light)I notice the hood starts bouning up and down any idea's?Its a 2008 with 60,000 miles the motor is still stock.thanks for any suggestions.el gordo:confused:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Two possibilities occur to me. Make sure your hood is fully latched, there should be two clicks. Make sure the four hood stop bumpers are properly adjusted (one on each forward fender, two across the front).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy who works on my car siad I need to get my thottle body cleaned its only going to cost $95 so I took it home and going to thinkif thats what I want to do.Toyota stealership said the its time for a fuel injector cleaning is that BS or true do ya'll have that done.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The guy who works on my car siad I need to get my thottle body cleaned its only going to cost $95 so I took it home and going to thinkif thats what I want to do.Toyota stealership said the its time for a fuel injector cleaning is that BS or true do ya'll have that done.
60K probably isn't a bad time to clean the TB :)! A fuel additive can be used to accomplish injector cleaning (sounds reasonable at 60K), there are several brands out there and they're pretty cheap (Lucas, Seafoam, MMO). If you're handy, I'd suggest doing the TB cleaning yourself, just pop the air hose to the TB and spray in some Seafoam Deep Creep or similar product while the engine is running (follow the can instructions). If you're not handy, best to take it to a technician :).

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
the hood is bouncing cause of the vibration while idling, so it could be a TB cleaning issue or could need to add some fuel injection cleaner. Both will make your idle a bit nicer. But Id check the hood bump stops, and if its not bouncing to a point of coming out of line with the fenders, if it's just vibrating, I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
the hood is bouncing cause of the vibration while idling, so it could be a TB cleaning issue or could need to add some fuel injection cleaner. Both will make your idle a bit nicer. But Id check the hood bump stops, and if its not bouncing to a point of coming out of line with the fenders, if it's just vibrating, I wouldnt worry about it.
FWIW -- hood bouncing is usually due to either incomplete latching or improper hood bumper adjustment. Engine idle behavior is not the first thing to consider, though if it really is the problem, you'll probably notice it through the seat, floor, and/or steering wheel -- much less smooth than original!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know maybe the hood was'nt shut properly I never check it before dropping off and now it isnt bouncing.But I am going to dump so fuel injector cleaner in it to see if it helps more.At the last oil change at the dealer they said it was due.my question what do they acutally do to clean the fuel injectors?They dont take them out and clean them right?Just wondering.Thanks for the input!:biggrin:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine dances a little. It's fully shut and sealed and all that jazz. Its a brick, cutting through the air at 65+ MPH with places for wind to get underneath. Its bound to dance a little.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I dont know maybe the hood was'nt shut properly I never check it before dropping off and now it isnt bouncing.But I am going to dump so fuel injector cleaner in it to see if it helps more.At the last oil change at the dealer they said it was due.my question what do they acutally do to clean the fuel injectors?They dont take them out and clean them right?Just wondering.Thanks for the input!:biggrin:
If I wanted to clean my fuel injectors, I would use a fuel tank additive such as Lucas or MMO (follow the instructions exactly). Both work!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Mine dances a little. It's fully shut and sealed and all that jazz. Its a brick, cutting through the air at 65+ MPH with places for wind to get underneath. Its bound to dance a little.
Perhaps, but remember, the question is asking about stopped idle behavior. Still, if air flow is causing a problem at 65 MPH, then that's not comforting -- could still be a bumper adjustment issue!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I wish the shaking in the hood was like the shaking in my 69 RT Cornet with the 383 4speed and Dana rearend.I bet the XB would be able to smoke the tires real good then yeehaw!:cheers: But I think it might have been the hood not close all the way even though it looked closed.I am still going dump some F.I. cleaner in it anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.