Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
That angle that they are installed on is really wierd, I am not at all surprised that it happened. Not only that but the guy is using TWO of them. My Jetta only has one and the hood is at least twice the size of the xB's. In fact I will go take a photo and show you what the angle should look like. Athough the hood really should be reinforce for that kinda thing.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Do you think the hood is excessively heavy? Maybe that's why Scion didn't put dampers on it?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
boblamb58 said:
Do you think the hood is excessively heavy? Maybe that's why Scion didn't put dampers on it?

Just a thought.
the hood feels pretty heavy to me when lifting it and the way the strut that holds it up works is not the best set-up. i liked the way my Solara hood helped lift itself open with the dampers :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Ok here are some photos of my Jetta with the hood up so you can see how the strut should be mounted for proper function.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a set of those 50$ dampers. :eek:They do not fit at all. Can not reach from hood to fender. :yucky:Redline is working on a set designed to help lift hood for 08 in months 2-3 anyway. :) Same price as 1st gen dampers is target price.. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
most definitely sent them Pix of attempted installation and waiting to hear back on how to remedy problem, if possible!! :rofl:

THis is how short they are from hood to fender!

·
Registered
28 Posts
glad i saw this post. i was ready to bid for one... thanks guys...

·
Registered
141 Posts
now we have been in communication and this is what I have found out and it is not printed in instruction manual. The Dampers com to you compressed so they do not fit ALL the way at first. They are short because they are closed partially. When they are installed you place your hands on both sides of hood and close it SLOWLY with an even DOWNWARD MOTION. If you close from center only you will warp the hood. After first closing the dampers"release" and return to full open and close position.

Steve is sending me 2 spring clips due in this week so we will see what happens next and I will post pix and notes. They are not a new company and this is not a new product for them. Make lots of other vehicle dampers so I have faith (For Now)!!!!!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wow.. man you trippen me out. lol.

Ive got this ebay set on my B. It works, but the shocks are a bit short so it doesnt open all the way, kinda hangs low. Great for shows, but sucks if someone has to work on the car. I checked the clearance, it seems fine, maybe its the pressure you put on when u close? The box says to hold both ends of the hood and close with equal balance of pressure... hate to have that happen to my hood, would be a BIG reason to buy the CF hood now ;)

I can see it sorta brushes the edge of the plastic in the engine bay, my installer says all he has to do is shave it a little and I should be ok. I also did notice the hood bulging a lil too.. like now there seems to be more of a gap at both ends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts