Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
741 Posts
You don't have to remove the front bumper. I do believe you have to get to it thru the drivers side inner fender.

· Registered
783 Posts
You don't have to remove the front bumper. I do believe you have to get to it thru the drivers side inner fender.
that's correct. you don't remove the bumper to install it, just unbolt part of the wheel well.

· Registered
601 Posts
that's correct. you don't remove the bumper to install it, just unbolt part of the wheel well.
Good info. Just curious, does the thing come with instructions for doing this when you get the TRD CAI?

· Registered
243 Posts
you get it to by removing the front driver's side tire, remove one bottom bolt near the arc of the fender (should be a clip on it); use a screwdriver to half-turn the plastic pushpin (it should pull right after that); remove the lower innermost pushpin on the fenderwell. adjust and pull back the fenderwell. this gives you access to the filter housing. pull the two silver clips on the housing. pull out then up on the front of the housing. now you have access to the filter for cleaning. reverse step when done.

what kind of cleaning kit are you using?

let us know how it goes!!!

· Registered
601 Posts
That's great info. I really just wanted to know in case I get it. I think I'm leaning toward the TRD CAI now and having it installed at the dealer so that it would be covered on my long warranty. If they expect you to clean it then I'd hope they would tell you what to do, especially considering this is coming from Toyota.

· Registered
266 Posts
That's great info. I really just wanted to know in case I get it. I think I'm leaning toward the TRD CAI now and having it installed at the dealer so that it would be covered on my long warranty. If they expect you to clean it then I'd hope they would tell you what to do, especially considering this is coming from Toyota.
The 2011+ TRD intake is A LOT more easy to clean, just look at this TRDsparks install on page 2 and 11-12. The newer intake is less of a CAI in my opinion...

· Registered
243 Posts
i must apologize! my previous post did not include removing the first bolt on the arc of the fenderwell. if anyone gets confused about this procedure pm me and i'll send you the install guide which explains the whole procedure w/pix.

@hikingmike don't rely on the dealership for cleaning instructions on this part. i experienced alot of confusion with the service advisors and techs. during oil changes part of their multi-point check is the air filter. the trd cai is not included in such routine inspections.

they didn't even know what to charge if had them do it. but they knew it wasn't FREE. i had to get the master tech that installed it in the huddle w/service director, service advisor and the grunt tech doing the oil change. the master tech inform us that it only needs cleaning every 30k - 50k miles depending on driving conditions. turns out to be another benefit to upgrading to CAI.

now you know the service director volunteered to come up with an astronomical price to have it done. by that time i was NOT interested. i decided to do my own research into this matter.

the warranty is still in place even if you service it yourself.

another interesting point i discovered during my research is the cleaning time. the recommended drying time for the filter is 6 - 8 hrs. some allow it to dry overnight before reconditioning. the problem is your would be disabled during that time.

what kind of price you think the dealer would come up with for that type of service?

i considered buying an extra filter to get around having my B disabled. but $50 for a spare filter discouraged that at the time. i still may get one. i have 40k miles to think about it.

· Registered
243 Posts
@mathxb, you think the old style trd cai would fit the 2011 model? my only concerns would be the one filter housing mounting clip and the fender intake vent.

· Registered
601 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought, the new TRD CAI uses a normal looking filter in an airbox, not a cone. I think I'll start a new thread since this is sort of off topic.

TRDSparks does not bring up the older style on their site when I put in 2012 but who knows. I don't think the car is that much different.

· Registered
266 Posts
It's the vent in the bumper that are different. The older TRD CAI use the driver side one as the air inlet port.

· Registered
422 Posts
:rofl:You know what I have to do to get access to my filter? Just open the hood and bam it's there for the taking. Aww the joys of owning the K&N Typhoon short ram intake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.