Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to do some compounding work on a few sports on my car. How do you remove the marks left by the compound?

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe this. There are 3 pages for the thread about "How many bugs are on your windshield", yet no one can help with the rubbing compound marks on my car.

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where I used the compound it looks dull. Should I use a buffing machine with the wax??

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I've never used rubbing compound, so I don't know an answer.
Though, I wonder why it was used on a fairly new vehicle.

From what I remember, rubbing compound is a fine liquid "sand paper" that removes the upper surface of paint and is used to remove oxidation and the like. As such, it removes paint. A "repair" would involve smoothing it out. The best way depends on the depth of the surface and the amount of surface material/paint/clearcoat removed by the compound. a good waxing or whatever the recommended finishing for the rubbing compound should remove minor scratches. If greater, have a detailer (more experience, tools, and supplies) look at it and tell him/her exactly what you need.
Again, I am using reasonable speculation and educated guessing. A detailing expert would be better. I have "issues" washing my car(s) more than once a month, averaging once every 1,000-2,000 miles . . .

· Registered
474 Posts
gr8scape said:
Where I used the compound it looks dull. Should I use a buffing machine with the wax??
Hate to say this but, I think your hosed.... :( But, I'll keep this alive to see if anyone has a solution other than repaint. :sick:

Brewski

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Brewski said:
gr8scape said:
Hate to say this but, I think your hosed.... :( But, I'll keep this alive to see if anyone has a solution other than repaint. :sick:

Brewski
Before you repaint, have a GOOD professional detailer look at it.

Otherwise . . .
This is a GOLDEN opportunity for a UNIQUE color box!
You could also make a cool complex paint scheme . . .

· Registered
474 Posts
[Before you repaint, have a GOOD professional detailer look at it.

Otherwise . . .
This is a GOLDEN opportunity for a UNIQUE color box!
You could also make a cool complex paint scheme . . .
[/quote]

As always TartanJack is right on! :yes: :yes:

Brewski

· Registered
17 Posts
It sounds as if the "clear bra" from 3M is actually the same or similar thing they use to make auto wraps. The info about the wraps actuallys says that it protects the car's finish.

One might find a sign shop locally with the experience to apply the vinyl on all the angles - it would just be clear & unprinted. And it's supposed to be easily removed by pulling diagonally at a very sharp angle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.