Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 XB with Scion security system and I was wondering how good it was to stop thieves. Lots of vehicles getting stole around us and what I read it would be real hard to steal with out the security key.

On the lighter note our youngest son said our XB wouldn't be on the hit list:mad:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
what I read it would be real hard to steal with out the security key.
True, it's harder to steal a car that uses a "smart" key. However unless Scion changed something starting in 2012 (I doubt it) our xBs use "dumb" keys.

Proof of this: I went to my local Orchard Supply with my 2011 xB ignition key, verified with the key copy machine it was a "dumb" key, made a copy, used that copy to start my 2011 xB and drive away.

You may want to verify that your 2012 has a "smart" key by taking it to a hardware store with a "smart" key sensor to verify/disprove it is a "smart" key. Don't take the salesperson's word for it, they will tell you all cars use "smart" keys now and it's not necessarily true.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The scion security is as good as any alarm. It has a ignition cut if the system is armed. But nowadays these types of systems only stop petty thieves and kids. Professionals just use a tow truck and its gone within 30 secs no matter what you got.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.