Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought my Xb 2nd gen a few months ago. Have not done anything to it just yet but I want to go head and put an existing amp I own and 12" Kicker L7 that I have into my Xb. Which is already been wired for a sub amp to be installed from the previous owner. Now I am a dj and I have gigs weekly where at times I need to load my XB up with my speakers. So at first i was going to just get a regular ported box that would only take up half of my trunk space and remove it when I needed to load all my dj equipment. But with doing more looking around I stumbled across the subtub. Now why I think that it is a really dope idea and concept I am a bit skeptical on how it'll sound. I haven't been able to find much on it other than the advertisement of it and a few YouTube videos. As I said I have a 12' Kicker L7 along with a 750 watt amp I would like to use for it because it wouldn't make much sense to buy anything new. I wanted know how does it sound. I understand its a bit pricey but that I can deal with if I get to keep my trunks functionality when needed. If anyone has some input I am all ears... Well eyes. :book::biggrin:

·
Registered
432 Posts
pros: hidden, looks really high quality

cons: car-specific, limited in size (I think)

I gave a lot of thought to this system but I ended up getting a 12" JL box. That way if I keep it in good condition I can take it with me to my next car, etc. and it's pretty easy to move out of the way or just work around.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Under seat sub boxes seem to be popular around here. Put one under each front seat. I think you can go up to a 10" under each front seat so your trunk will be untouched save for an amp if you bolt it to a seat but surely even that could be hidden with a bit of work and then you'll have your fold down seats, all the space in the back, AND can roll up to a gig thumping.

I haven't ever heard of a sub tub (did a quick google search on it) but you could probably build something to hold a speaker that slots down in your spare space and just do a plexiglass cover to keep it all smooth and enclosed. It's really a more show car way to do it but I guess it's an option.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The sub tub is a great idea, my only concern would be the air space in it. At 3.8 cu. ft. it is way too much airspace for most car audio subs.

For example your sub, the Kicker l7 is designed for

sealed box volume: 1.25-2.0 cu. ft.
or
ported box volume: 1.75-3.25 cu. ft.

And those specs are on the somewhat high side for many car audio subs.

My other concern is the price. It's not completely out of line for a custom fiberglass sub enclosure but you could have a custom enclosure build for the same price that has the correct airspace for your sub and it will sound much better that way.

i know I could build the enclosure and install the amp for that price no problem.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
You can't fit 12" between the seat slider rails for an under seat sub. You could go a sub under the drivers seat too, but honestly, a single 10 under the seat is plenty. I don't know what your into, but I've got my rockford 300w mono amp at about a quarter and the head unit sw control at -10 mostly. It's very tight bass and balanced well with the stock speakers off the factory headunit. It's plenty loud, and clean.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the input. After doing a bit more research on the Subtub and its size of cubic feet I decided to go with a custom enclosures that will fit in the passenger side cubby area or whatever its called. :) I've never owned a sealed enclosure so this should be interesting. I listen to a little bit of everything but being I need the space getting a ported box wont do.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you listen to a bit of everything then a sealed enclosure will actually work better. It will go lower and have a more linear sound but it will not get as loud as a ported enclosure at the port tuning frequency. Sealed enclosures are also a lot more forgiving when you over power them as you can hear the distortion build up gradually and they handle a lot more power as well. The down side to them is that they do require more power to get and equal volume level as compared to a ported enclosure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.