Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my new 2008 xB RS5.0 2 weeks ago and had all TRD parts installed except Cold Air Intake (Fujita), TRD Differential, and Supercharger. I will have Differential installed about 4-6 weeks. I am also looking to have Supercharger installed just before X'mas if not earlier. I know by adding supercharger, it will get the HP to 200. It might actually a little more because of intake and TRD muffler. My questions are...

1) What mod, that is safe and still legal, I can still do to gain more HP?
2) Is it possible to boost up to may be around 240 or even 260HP without worrying of putting too much load on the engine and gear box and still LEGAL?
3) If yes, please advise what and which brand and model to go with.

After reading and told (from none xB owners), I think these are the items but not sure since I never into mod until last week when I got my xB 2 weeks ago.

1) Performance Header
2) Performance Exhaust System
3) Performance Muffler (Installed TRD)
4) Cold Air Intake (Installed Fujita)
5) Differential (Will install in 4-6 weeks)
6) Bigger Battery
7) Bigger Alternator
8) Bigger Spark Plug
9) Bigger Spark Plug Cable
10) Performance Computer Chip. What Chip?
11) Changing Heads and Cams. What is head and cam?
12) Modified Computer Program?????

I have more question to come on other threads. Hope to get some great advices here!!!

THANKS

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
sautan said:
I had my new 2008 xB RS5.0 2 weeks ago and had all TRD parts installed except Cold Air Intake (Fujita), TRD Differential, and Supercharger. I will have Differential installed about 4-6 weeks. I am also looking to have Supercharger installed just before X'mas if not earlier. I know by adding supercharger, it will get the HP to 200. It might actually a little more because of intake and TRD muffler. My questions are...

1) What mod, that is safe and still legal, I can still do to gain more HP?

{quote]

2) Is it possible to boost up to may be around 240 or even 260HP without worrying of putting too much load on the engine and gear box and still LEGAL?
[/quote]
With superchargers, people use different pulleys to increase the spinning speed of the supercharger. The gains won't be that high (you are asking to more than double the boost of the blower).
The only way to get that much power would be a larger blower itself, which are not sold yet (as far as I know) as a n xB2 specific kit. BUT, to do so would void warranty for the drivetrain (I am pretty sure).

3) If yes, please advise what and which brand and model to go with.
Stock kits don't exist yet, as far as I know.
After reading and told (from none xB owners), I think these are the items but not sure since I never into mod until last week when I got my xB 2 weeks ago.

1) Performance Header
3) Performance Muffler (Installed TRD)
THAT helps power on top of a blower

2) Performance Exhaust System
Is the above 2 together.

4) Cold Air Intake (Installed Fujita)
Incompatible with a supercharger (as both occupy the same part of the engine system-> a supercharger is an intake that uses a centerfuge (belt driven by a pulley from the crankshaft) to shove much more air volume into the engine (kind of like the theory behind a ram air intake, only MUCH more effective
A cold air intake attempts to add more air by drawing denser, colder air into the intake.

5) Differential (Will install in 4-6 weeks)
Effective at laying down higher power, but not in making more. I am assuming you mean a limited slip, which controls wheel slip and making less power wasted by slipping wheels. Also, higher HP cars often add diffs that are able to take higher power without breaking. You could also being installing one of those.

11) Changing Heads and Cams. What is head and cam?
THIS would be very effective at more power. It is the alteration of engine internals to make the engine higher power by increasing the compression ratio in the cylinders.
BUT, it is best to be done by someone who knows what they are doing, but is expensive. Most people worry about blowers (superchargers and blowers) first and engine internals only later, unless they want to make a point of non-blown power.

The head is the part directly above the cylinders themselves. The cams are the spinning things that make the hydraulic lifters go up and down (letting air/fuel in and the exhaust gases out of the cylinder heads.

Cracking (messing with) engine internals certainly would cause warranty problems.

6) Bigger Battery
7) Bigger Alternator
Those mess with the electrical system and really don't add HP (in fact a larger alternator takes it away). BUT would be effective and important in adding high power electronics,.

8) Bigger Spark Plug
9) Bigger Spark Plug Cable
Those might work, but mostly if you know what you are doing. I wouldn't start with that. By bigger spark plug, a more complex, higher output spark is what I think you mean. There is great debate about how effective such is, beyond a certain level. It is true that crappy spark plugs rub efficiency in burning the fuel in a cylinder (effecting power).

The engine only needs a certain level of spark at a given power level. So, an ignition system that flows better than that is pretty useless, besides looks.

10) Performance Computer Chip. What Chip?
12) Modified Computer Program?????
The xB's computer is solid state, so there is nowhere to add a "chip." The only way to change the power curve is to hack into the computer itself and mess with its programing. It isn't something you need to worry about until you get well into the 200s in power.

I have more question to come on other threads. Hope to get some great advices here!!!

THANKS
That's why we are here.

As a rule, more power means more money in an escalating cost-per-horsepower ratio (the more power you have the more additional power costs).

Oh, and anything above the TRD parts and blower risks warranty issues. Some dealers would probably claim a non-Toyota installer also voids warranty. (I am a bit weary of dealers claiming warranty violations WAY more than is fair, for any make of car.)

If I had more time, I would post more.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
OK (back from church)

If it was me:
Add the TRD supercharger
Focus on exhaust system, go for higher flow. The backpressure isn't needed, as the blower compensates.
- Header
- Full tubing behind second catalytic converters
- High flow catalytic converters (see if the exist, they do for older cars, but not sure about the xB)
If manual: high performance clutch and lightweight flywheel (lower spinning mass increased engine spool-up
Differential (where needed depends upon, what type of diff you put in (how different from stock)

Suspension (sway bar, spring, shocks)

Wait for warranty to expire
-pullleys changes for blower
Internal engine mods (shave the head, cams, adjustable cam pulley

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the answers. First, i am not going to mess those stuffs on my own. The reason, I purchased the Dealer's Extended Warranty and wrote a special agreement that if all aftermarket parts are installed by them, they would keep their warranty, factory's warranty might be void but dealer's warranty still good. I just had them installed short shifter and CAI. Tey charge $81/hr!!! Anyway, i will have to do it this way because of warranty and of course i have no clue about those engine parts.

1) I will get the Header and Exhaust System, I need a brand and model you would recommend! Dealer is trying to sell me Tanabe, is this good?
2) I am not looking to mod the supercharger itself. It's what it is. I am only trying to add outside agents to work together with the supercharger. Make sense? :confused:
3) Can we just use the cold air intake with the supercharger? Don't supercharger need an air intake too? If not, wasted the fujita! Maybe i will install in my wife's auto xB.
4) Yeah i meant Torque Biasing Limited Slip Differential - whatever but i guess you know what i am talking. It's TRD parts and i will have this installed in 4-6weeks).
5) I will have the head and cam changed as well. Dealer is selling all kind of parts. They can get me anything i want. I wanted to get a 17" alloy wheels for my wife's xB and they told me to go internet and search then let them know. They got me a set at $360.00 compare to online price of $550 and if i bought it off the aftermarket dealer it would be $480. I COULD NOT BELIEVE A DEALER PRICE IS MORE COMPETITIVE THAN THE AFTERMARKET. Oh but they charge me $21/wheel to install and balancing. Still save though.
6) I thought bigger electric will drive it better. I would need a bigger alternator anyway because of my stereo system.
7) I will also get the spark plus and power cord. NGK has some good stuff. Do you have any suggestion for the aftermarket performance spark plug and cord?
8) As for the program, i will have the dealer mess with it, if they will.

Again, thank you very much. If you have any suggestion on parts' brand and model, i would greatly appreciated.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Gotta ask . . .
What dealer is THAT?

It sounds like a good place to go to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It certainly good money for them. Making your money on parts and labor. $81/hour on labor!!!! They would charge me 10 hours on installing limited slip and 12 hours on the supercharger. They charged me 2.5 hours on the Fujita Cold Air Intake. Originally estimate at 1 hour but claimed it's too complicated and need 2.5 hours because need to take the whole front out! Oh well, i have no choice i guess want to have warranty.

·
Registered
160 Posts
According to the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1979, you can add any part to your vehicle that is made for your vehicle and that is installed correctly without voiding your warranty. The exclusion to that rule is anything that is put in writing by the manufacturer like Toyota has stated regarding the Supercharger and adding Headers. Just curious, did the person who said they would cover anything on your car even if TRD/Toyota wouldn't, actually put that in writing for you?

Ken

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Sparks_Scion_TRD_Parts said:
According to the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1979, you can add any part to your vehicle that is made for your vehicle and that is installed correctly without voiding your warranty. The exclusion to that rule is anything that is put in writing by the manufacturer like Toyota has stated regarding the Supercharger and adding Headers. Just curious, did the person who said they would cover anything on your car even if TRD/Toyota wouldn't, actually put that in writing for you?

Ken
Now, I REALLY wished I lived closer to MB, so I could get the work done at Southeast!
(Aside: my car was unloaded in Jacksonville, Florida, shipped to Southeast and signed off, then traded to Town & Country in Charlotte, then traded (for me) to Ballantine in Greenwood. So, my CAR came to me from ya'll, indirectly.)
As it is, I have to pay shipping AND tax . . . At least the shipping will be quick . . .

Edit: So, what kind of parts do you recommend (that are allowed by Toyota's warranty details)?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, basically, you can add parts that are made for your vehicle as long as they don't cause damage to your vehicle or that are not excluded by the manufacturer in writing. TRD has excluded headers when added to a vehicle with a Supercharger, but other than that, I believe everything else is fair game.

Ken

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Sparks_Scion_TRD_Parts said:
Well, basically, you can add parts that are made for your vehicle as long as they don't cause damage to your vehicle or that are not excluded by the manufacturer in writing. TRD has excluded headers when added to a vehicle with a Supercharger, but other than that, I believe everything else is fair game.

Ken
Good to know. THANKS!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for late reply. I was out of town. Based on the Dealer Agreement (NOT SCION/TOYOTA/TRD), anything dealer agrees to install in my car will be under this dealership warranty. I must also come in to their dealership for regular maintenance. Anything that is installed outside dealership will not be warranted under the dealer agreement.

Basically this is the dealership own warranty. I have to pay extra for this warranty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I live close to Longo (not my closest dealer though) and I'm curious.
How much did you have to pay for that dealer warranty?
How long is that warranty good for?
What does it cover (only the aftermarket parts that were installed by dealer or the whole car)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
200hp is about all the hp you are going to get and still be legal and have the warranty...

If you decided you need more and dont care too much about those two things you can get an NST 9.5psi s/c pulley the stock one is a 7psi pulley... Also you can get the NST CR-Lite crank pulley that is way lighter then the OEM one which frees up lost power... Headers with full exhuast will get rid of the back pressure... the scuba tank is very restricive, but it is not 100% legal to remove it... Bigger injectors and an AEM piggy back will upgrade the computer and feed the beast that will need more air and fuel to make more power...

From what i have HEARD the 2.4L can handle around 300hp safely...

To take it even further you can do a whole engine build i.e. head work, pistons, rods, crank, and cams... BUT at this stage you are 100% void of warranty and ILLEGAL... also it is BIG $$$ and i would recommend a turbo instead, so you can do big boost (15psi sounds good)...

I know this is probably way more info then needed or wanted, but letting you know it is all about how much power you want and money you want to spend....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.