Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
mfielden said:
I'm wondering...

When you did this in your car, did you consider the option of adding one of those adapter dealios (technical term) that would then allow you to put in a regular 110 socket? Having another 12 volt is only somewhat beneficial for my use, but having a 110 in the car would be a huge plus for powering notebook computers, game systems, etc.

Michael
What you're speaking of is a power inverter. Adding one wouldn't be difficult at all. It depends on how much power you're wanting. A larger power inverter needs to be wired like any car stereo amplifier, to the battery with larger power cable. If you're a little more handy, you could use an outlet like in the wall of your home and have an outlet anywhere you want. Or you could just have your electronic devices plug right into the inverter.

After a quick search, it yielded me with this.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Brewski said:
Question....is the new outlet "hot" when the hatch is closed?

The only reason I ask is because when the hatch is down the cargo area light goes "off" regardless of the light's switch position.

Brewski
08 xB
That's because there's a pin switch like there is on all of the doors. If you hard wired it to the vehicle's battery, like an amplifier, it will always be on. Unless, there's a remote lead in which you can probably hook up a switch. But on second look, it appears that all of the inverters that I have listed have an external switch. So if you wanted it on, you'd have to physically flick the switch to turn it on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.