Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about using a carbon fiber wrap for the doors, is it hard to remove the door handles? I have the PDF file that does an okay job, but I was looking for someone who as done it before.

Thanks

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Actually . . .
It isn't that hard at ALL!

For the fronts, there is a black plastic plug that enables access to the screw/bolt that holds on the small part that doesn't move.  To get to the one in the back door, you need to remove the 3 screws holding the catch latch in place and push it back.
I'd also recommend removing the door panel.  Most should be manipulatible though the wire connecting hole.  If you let the stuff fall too far in, the plastic water shield may need to be peeled back (CAREFULLY!) to get your arm in there. 
Putting it back together BE CAREFUL to make sure the plastic parts (green on one side and orange on the other) on the back latches (inside the door) get aligned back on the metal bar on the latch mechanism.  Otherwise, they will clank around.  Also, those help make the door latch system feel more "solid."

I replaced my stock external latches w/ the ones from Mummbles Marketing's RS 6, figuring it out on my own.  The first door took forever, after that it was EASY PEAZY!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Or a big Hammer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TartanJack said:
Actually . . .
It isn't that hard at ALL!

For the fronts, there is a black plastic plug that enables access to the screw/bolt that holds on the small part that doesn't move. To get to the one in the back door, you need to remove the 3 screws holding the catch latch in place and push it back.
I'd also recommend removing the door panel. Most should be manipulatible though the wire connecting hole. If you let the stuff fall too far in, the plastic water shield may need to be peeled back (CAREFULLY!) to get your arm in there.
Putting it back together BE CAREFUL to make sure the plastic parts (green on one side and orange on the other) on the back latches (inside the door) get aligned back on the metal bar on the latch mechanism. Otherwise, they will clank around. Also, those help make the door latch system feel more "solid."

I replaced my stock external latches w/ the ones from Mummbles Marketing's RS 6, figuring it out on my own. The first door took forever, after that it was EASY PEAZY!
Thanks! I will go over that PDF again, but knowing that someone else did it makes me feel really good.

·
Registered
342 Posts
How tough would it be to paint the handles? I think it would look great on my super white.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just don't use a Hammer!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.