Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing my amp (JL Audio HD900/5) under the passenger seat. What I'm not sure of is the sequence for the airbags. I believe it goes like this:
1. Disconnect battery, wait a couple minutes.
2. Disconnect yellow plug under seat.
3. Remove seat, center console and do amp install. Question: Does the surround at the bottom of the instrument panel (with power outlet) pop off like the rest of the panels? Or is there a sequence I'm not aware of?
4. Reinstall seat.
5. Reconnect yellow plug
6. Reconnect battery

I'd like to avoid blowing the bag or causing an idiot light to come on. Am I thinking in the right direction?

Gordon

·
Registered
658 Posts
Your airbag will not deploy 90 minutes after the car has been powered down. (If the battery is disconnected, the car is powered down.)

I work with Toyota airbags/pigtails daily, they will NOT deploy if the battery is not connected for over 5 minutes. The only way they can at that point is by introducing current to the pigtail which you don't seem to be interested in doing.

That said, when I removed my seats in my FJ Cruiser I didn't even unplug anything. Just unbolted the feet, unplugged the connections and removed it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips! I'm old school and when I learned to work on cars, seatbelts were optional and we had to adjust points and timing. Didn't even know what a computer was!!

I just wanted to check with people who have done this before and draw on the experience of others. Just like my spoiler install. TartanJack said "measure thrice, drill once"

Now does anybody know a thread or advise me on pulling the panels below the shifter? Or should I just grab hold of it and pull?

Gordon

·
Registered
846 Posts
After taking the bezel off,the lower surround is secured by two phillips screws. Remove these and pull the cover down and to the rear. Don't forget to dissconnect the 12v socket. When reinstalling, take the side panels off first, and put them back on after placing the main cover in it's proper location w/ the two screws. That should do it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah, the silver one. The shifter boot is just held in place with snaps, it will come loose from the bezel, therefore you don't have to remove it.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
How far do the seats tip back after removing the front leg bolts?
From your pictures on your google page brickpig they almost look like they are on hinges with how far they went back.

As for trying to get underneath the seats is the only thing (or best way) to do is unbolt the two front legs?
Or how else do you get the back legs off or how much tilt does the front ones off give you?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
152 Posts
Inside ALL of the little yellow plugs on all Air Bags, is a little shorting Shunt, that connects the two leads together as the plug is disconnected (On the air bag side of the connection). This is pretty much ALL airbags in ALL vehicles that are Legal In the USA. Probably a standard worldwide even..... but for sure in the US.

Shorting the two wires together, insures that not even a good Static charge from one's body can charge and deploy the air bag. If they are left un-shorted, it's pretty much a hazard.... a nasty, dangerous, deadly hazard. Once you un-plug the air bag connectors, take a look down insed the air bag half and you should be able to actually SEE the shunt. It's a very thin, fairly small piece of metal that folds down and shorts across the two individual connectors inside the plastic plug.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
How far do the seats tip back after removing the front leg bolts?
From your pictures on your google page brickpig they almost look like they are on hinges with how far they went back.

As for trying to get underneath the seats is the only thing (or best way) to do is unbolt the two front legs?
Or how else do you get the back legs off or how much tilt does the front ones off give you?
Thanks guys
I unbolted all four seat mounting bolts, which allowed my front passenger seat to tilt back about 45 degrees without disconnecting any plugs. You can get even more slack in the cables by dismounting the plugs from the seat bracket (all without disconnecting the plugs or the battery).

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Thanks brickpig.
But I have another question.. (for whomever).
The computer under the drivers seat is much more protected than the passenger one.. Im trying to free up some space and want to move it a bit but im scared I'll wreck something. I moved the passenger seat computer but the drivers side looks more important the way its laid out and makes me nervous. Am I good to move it the same as the passengers side?, or should I leave it be?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks brickpig.
But I have another question.. (for whomever).
The computer under the drivers seat is much more protected than the passenger one.. Im trying to free up some space and want to move it a bit but im scared I'll wreck something. I moved the passenger seat computer but the drivers side looks more important the way its laid out and makes me nervous. Am I good to move it the same as the passengers side?, or should I leave it be?
From what I've been reading, the computer mounted to the floor under the driver's seat is a yaw sensor. Perhaps it has input into the Traction Control System. So far I've yet to read of anyone moving it. I don't really know for sure what it does so I left it alone. Anyone care to share their knowledge on this?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Any info would be great.
TARDIS? Your toyota employee right?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
So I found out that the computer under the drivers seat is a yaw rate sensor. Which has a gyroscope in it to sense spin or angular velocity around its vertical axis. So it can be moved but has it's limitations as to where.

To function the way it is meant to it must be near the center of three vehicle as well as horizontal (like it is stock)

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I moved mine today under the cup holders onto an existing metal bracket looking thing. It worked out perfectly although I couldn't figure out a way to use the screw holes so I used a single drop of super glue.
The picture shows it mounted before I cleaned up the wiring

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.