Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name is Grumps, and I live on the Central Coast of California. While looking for the first new car my wife and I have purchased in 25 years, we decided on a gen-2 XB. I spent weeks looking up information, and then a week test driving everything. Test drove our first XB last week on Friday and decided to purchase on Sunday. Got rims installed on Wednesday. Man! What a great car!

Thanks to this forum and a couple others and your informative posts. It sure assisted us in our decision.

Since I am a railroad fanatic, I call this my "boxcar".

I am really looking forward to personalizing this car to our liking.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Nice Boxcar!
I like that name!

I am a "bit" of train fan too:

(Note the Railway Express Agency logo magnets on the sides)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
grumps said:
Name is Grumps, and I live on the Central Coast of California.
(Snip)
Since I am a railroad fanatic, I call this my "boxcar".
A bit of a hijack: Do you have a particular interest in any rail lines, past or present?

My grandfather was a civil engineer for Southern. He retired a few years after the Norfolk Southern merger, as chief engineer of track.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TartanJack said:
Nice Boxcar!
I like that name!

Yeah, I'm diggin the REA logos. I have my railroad logo in vinyl that I may put on later, but for now will stay clean.
You can check out the railroad I work at here: http://pcrailroad.blogspot.com/
My personal blog is here:http://grumpsbadger.blogspot.com/

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
grumps said:
TartanJack said:
Nice Boxcar!
I like that name!

Yeah, I'm diggin the REA logos. I have my railroad logo in vinyl that I may put on later, but for now will stay clean.
You can check out the railroad I work at here: http://pcrailroad.blogspot.com/
My personal blog is here:http://grumpsbadger.blogspot.com/
What to do: put it on a magnet and make it removable.
Note, those have the pre-1960 and 60-70 (REA X) logo in the same spot. They are both on magnets and can be switched out or removed entirely (like when I want to run incognito). Those are the 9" stickers.
It is easy. As for the stickers, make sure they are vinyl and not paper based. The ones I got are made by Country Trains and are sold in many train shops. Country Trains will sell you some direct, but recommended to go through one of their dealers. I went direct, as there isn't a dealer within 2.5 hours of me. If I got more, I'd get them through one of the Walthers-related dealers.
That reminds me . . . I need to get a set of large Southern Railway ones . . .

Nice Boxcar!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
IS this one an extra brown Blackberry Crush . . . ?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toytrains/1684156802/
Maybe an xB2 repaint . . .

CSX, which runs through my town, is the merged Chessie and Seaboard line. So, I get to see CSX trains practically daily.

Now that you mention Pennsy . . .
I LOVE the GG1 (designed by Raymond Loewy).

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just wanted to ask if you guys had heard of the Monon RR? I'm from Monon, IN and it was a booming RR town back in the day. Now it's a ghost town of about 1500. My great grandpa worked the RR back in the 20s until he got hurt. I remember my mom telling me he made a dollar a day on the RR.

here's some info (I didn't even know some of this stuff. How cool!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monon_Railroad

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That was pretty freakin cool shan. We should start a railroad thread in off topic so we can discuss trains and railroad history. Which is huge here in PA. I believe the Railroad boom actually started up here due to the coal mines and steelmill, but I gotta re-check that info.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Yep.

I really don't know much about the line (or that it was named after a town called Manon). But, I've seen many picts of their engines and trains.

My main interest is in trains of the southeast and the streamliners of the 1930s and 40s.
(Besides the REA, itself-> which used to be THE shipping company in the US when UPS was regional and FedEx didn't exist.)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
eviljack said:
That was pretty freakin cool shan. We should start a railroad thread in off topic so we can discuss trains and railroad history. Which is huge here in PA. I believe the Railroad boom actually started up here due to the coal mines and steelmill, but I gotta re-check that info.
Good idea!
(Oh, and it also was big down here-> esp. with the Best Friend of Charleston.)
Also, by favorite twisty (for fun and safe to "play" on is the Saluda Grade, which is the road parallel to the train line, the steepest mainline grade in the US, between Tryon and Saluda, North Carolina (Spartanburg, SC to Asheville, NC was the main destination cities). It is/was a Southern/Norfolk Southern track, which was also their main "test track," for if it could pull the Grade, it could go anywhere. The Grade isn't used much (at all?) anymore.
Actually, the Grade was the "twisty" where I went to "play" with my xB a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh Please don't get me started on the railroads and their history...

Here are some pix of my latest build and logo... first the logo

now the locomotive...

Here I am operating the locomotive...

And when I need a bigger fix...

To answer your question: No that is not Mrs. Grumps!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.