Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm looking to buy an SRI for my 2013 xB.

I came across this one on ebay.

Scion 08 13 XB HPS Polish Shortram AIR Intake KIT Short RAM Cool 09 10 11 12 SRI | eBay

Is there anyone here who has this one installed?

They have a legit looking website and application list.

HPS High Performance Short Ram Air Intake Kit Shortram Cool

Comes in black and polished.

Feedback appreciated. I have zero concerns about K&N filters as my previous car had an Injen short ram with K&N filters. I had two filters and would clean and swap as needed.

I just wanna know about the fitment of this piece of pipe.

Cheersx

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seems legit. I just picked up a off brand CAI off ebay last week and its pretty amazing for $60. Probably going to pick up a K&N filter for it soon though. Install should be a breeze compared to CAIs (mine was a real pain to install).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems legit. I just picked up a off brand CAI off ebay last week and its pretty amazing for $60. Probably going to pick up a K&N filter for it soon though. Install should be a breeze compared to CAIs (mine was a real pain to install).
If you have a CAI.... do you have to take the front bumper off to change the filter?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had cars with CAI's, Ram air intakes, and just a high flow filter like I have now.

I wouldn't do a ram air for a couple of reasons, one I just don't like a naked filter sitting in the engine bay, 2 all its going to do is suck in heat which won't be any more efficient than the stock intake that does have at least one hose to suck in cool air.

I'm of the mind if your going to swap parts swap them out proper, not all intakes are created equal and even disregarding the "do you gain any HP" debate from them increased airflow will affect overall efficiency of the engine and the type of air going in will also have an effect.

As far as taking off the bumper to get to the filter It may depend on what manufacturer you get yours from, I've seen some cars with a filter that ends up in the fender wells, some behind the bumper and some that go down below the engine over the weather guards.

It's totally up to you but for that price you could find a name brand CAI, or even an off brand one and stick a good filter on it like Garry.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you have a CAI.... do you have to take the front bumper off to change the filter?
Yes and no, I didn't. When installing I have to take the battery out then the pipe that goes down into the bumper I ran behind the fuse box wiring, tilted it up, threw the first filter on and with alot of tilting got it into the proper spot. To change/clean the filter you can either take that intake pipe off and pull it out, or the easier way is taking off the mudguard as long as you'll have some sort of hands-free light source. It's like what, a screw and a clip to get off? (or at least gives it enough play to accomplish your task.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's totally up to you but for that price you could find a name brand CAI, or even an off brand one and stick a good filter on it like Garry.
Exactly, as far as I believe, all intakes are plain jane specifically bent metal pipes, so what AEM's make LOOK nicer, that look is not worth the 3x markup on generics. And the name brand good filters are like $20. I bet besides cosmetic of course due to lack of branding, my $80 CAI is just as good as anyone elses $300 K&N. I'm one of those guys that puts to work the term "ballin on a budget". Also I didn't mention in my last comment my CAI puts my filter right behind the fake vent, exactly the same as any other name brand CAI.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't do a ram air for a couple of reasons, one I just don't like a naked filter sitting in the engine bay, 2 all its going to do is suck in heat which won't be any more efficient than the stock intake that does have at least one hose to suck in cool air.
Much respect to everyone's comments. I'm new to the xB world and I've got all these minor aftermarket parts to install when the weather gets good here in Toronto.

Although I agree with you with CAI sucking cooler air by being away from the engine, living in Toronto, we have huge puddles (a flash flood last year) that I'm afraid of hydrolocking my engine.

I'm fine with a short ram. Yes... I get it that the air is hot (does that heat shield even work)

I DO believe in the K&N filter being way less restrictive than a stock filter. So in regardless, it's a check mark in the "better" column for me for efficiency.

This was how the Injen SRI used to sit in my tiburon.

Notice how it was tucked in behind the battery. It was a pain to constantly have to remove the headlight or move the battery to change the filter. Their version of the CAI had the pipe go right down inside the fender.

This is why a CAI isn't for me and my xB.

So it looks like I'll be the guinea pig for this HPS short ram. :D

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
The K&N is high flow. The question is on how well it actually filters. On that, I've read many, many opposing opinions. Those who like it REALLY like it, those who don't REALLY don't.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like the aftermarket filters better because they require less maintenance and generally you buy one for the length of time you own your car. Honestly if you visually inspect a normal filter vs. one like injen, K&N, etc there isn't too much of a difference aside from thread thickness which leads me to believe that the main difference is you have no box to restrict airflow and it still keeps anything large enough to damage an engine out of it but like you I have seen it both ways. Same thing with whether or not you actually gain any HP.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing I like about the K&N filter (Like I said, I swapped two in and out of my tiburon) was that you clean it with the recharge kit, lightly oil it, and put it back. Trust me when I say that my filter would get super, duper, duper, dirty.....on the outside....

....whereas the inside of the filter, would be crystal clean.

*shrugs shoulders*

So yeah... I'm a fan of them and believe that they are indeed high flow.

Let's face it. I'm not supercharging my xB. I drive a stick. I don't believe in the +9HP it gives.

I do believe the airflow is less restrictive, it sounds great, looks great, and gives me some more omph on the the low end of the rpm band.

These filters last very, very long.

I've been tempted to try the AEM filter.....but never got my hands on one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
HPS? DON'T DO IT! I just sold off that exact same intake and bought a stock setup to replace it.

* It's annoyingly loud. Not a "good" loud, just annoying as ****.
* You won't see any noticeable increase in economy or power
* The heat shield is attached with plastic tabs that will break over time
* The MAF sensor spacing is off just enough to cause an occasional CEL
* On the bright side, the filter included does appear to be real, but that's not enough to justify the cost.

The intake is one of the areas on this car where you're just not going to get any huge improvements. I'd highly recommend just replacing the stock filter with a K&N and removing the lower snorkel portion.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HPS? DON'T DO IT! I just sold off that exact same intake and bought a stock setup to replace it.

* It's annoyingly loud. Not a "good" loud, just annoying as ****.
* You won't see any noticeable increase in economy or power
* The heat shield is attached with plastic tabs that will break over time
* The MAF sensor spacing is off just enough to cause an occasional CEL
* On the bright side, the filter included does appear to be real, but that's not enough to justify the cost.

The intake is one of the areas on this car where you're just not going to get any huge improvements. I'd highly recommend just replacing the stock filter with a K&N and removing the lower snorkel portion.
Well those points are good enough for me. Thank you Paul1114.... I'll start looking at a brand I know... Injen. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.