1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to wire a pre-wired LED that has a black/red cable:

To this switch:

and put the switch here at this location:

1.) How do I get to the Cigarette lighter?

2.) I also want to know what my wiring situation would be.

I'm no expert on electronic, but usually this kind of switch is completing the circuit between the middle connector and the connector on either side. For example the three connectors on the switch are labeled as 1, 2, 3 from top to bottom:

Either 1 & 2 connected, or 2 & 3 connected, depends on your switch position. (usually the switch position is reversed, means when switch pointing down connect 1 & 2, and when pointing up connect 2 & 3)

Unless there is a LED on the switch itself, I highly doubt that there is any situation which you need to connect both power and ground to the switch. It is because that will means in one of the switch position, the power will go directly to the ground without any load (thing that actually use power)... Basically that's what we called "short circuit" and probably will cause some damage.

For your case, I think the connection should be something like this:
Cigarette Power -> either #1 or #3 on switch (depends on which direction you choose for switching on the LED).
Red LED wire -> #2 on the switch.
Black LED wire -> ground.
Again, I'm no expert on this, if someone think it is wrong please post a correction.

3.) What color wires am I looking for on the Cigarette lighter? Does anybody have a picture? Gound color is? Power color is?

4.) Also, does anyone know how to take off the HVAC controls? That way I can get to the transmission shifter center console. Then maybe I can get to the cigarette lighter.

5.) One more question, is it possible to route a wire from transmission shifter center console to the glove compartment WITHOUT drilling any holes?

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can check out the security system install from sparks .com for shift console instructions. They show removing the shift knob then pop the top off. Under the top you will find four screws that drop the front panel including the lighter. To figure out wihich wire you can stick the red led wire in the back of the plug for the lighter and touch the black to metal. If your on the ground side nothing will happen. If you have the hot wire the light will come on. Try the other one if the first try does not work. To remove the glove box you squeeze the pin where the shock is and remove it then lower the box and it will come off.

The first question is are the LED's rated for 13.8 volts. A 12 volt car battery gets charged at 13.8 normally. Most LED's run at much less voltage but if you bought them with the wires on it is probably 12 volt.

The second part is to keep things simple. Black is the ground (metal frame of the car) and the red is the positive. You run a wire from the lighter to the switch and then the red wire on the led is connected to the switch. The black wire goes to a metal part of the car to ground it. When the switch is on your LED lights should be on. Looking at the switch it appears to have a small light in the tip of the handle. I assume that you would have the light on when the switch is on. If you want the light to work you will probably need to hook the ground wire to the third lug on the switch. It might have a diagram with the switch that shows the switch like an open gate and a curly wire logo that represents a light. IF it does not have a light in the end you will have a short with the ground connected.

Two more things... First, get an inline fuse holder and locate it where you can get to it if you burn up the fuse. LED's dont take much power so you can use just about any size fuse..2amp or 5 amp should work fine. Second you can take one wire from the switch and run it to the first led. DO NOT CUT IT. Use a match/lighter to heat up the cover on the wire and then scrape it off gently without burning yourself. Now you have a long wire with an inch of insulation missing. Fold the wire in half so that you can stick the exposed part in a butt connector. The other end is where you put the red led wire. Crimp or squeeze the connector and your done. Then go to the next led and do the same thing untill you get all of them done. You can do the same for the black wire. If you are going two different directions put two wires on the switch and do the same thing.

Neatness counts..You can shorten the wires on the led's but not too short incase you want to do something else with them later. Be sure you put the fuse as close to the lighter as you can. Years ago I had a fog light wire get pinched and it melted the cover off the wire and almost burned up my pickup.

Of course heat shrink tubing and solder is another option but this is the K.I.S.S. method.

PS> While you have the lighter exposed you might want to add another one next to it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt Richard said:
You can check out the security system install from sparks .com for shift console instructions. They show removing the shift knob then pop the top off. Under the top you will find four screws that drop the front panel including the lighter. To figure out wihich wire you can stick the red led wire in the back of the plug for the lighter and touch the black to metal. If your on the ground side nothing will happen. If you have the hot wire the light will come on. Try the other one if the first try does not work. To remove the glove box you squeeze the pin where the shock is and remove it then lower the box and it will come off.

The first question is are the LED's rated for 13.8 volts. A 12 volt car battery gets charged at 13.8 normally. Most LED's run at much less voltage but if you bought them with the wires on it is probably 12 volt.

The second part is to keep things simple. Black is the ground (metal frame of the car) and the red is the positive. You run a wire from the lighter to the switch and then the red wire on the led is connected to the switch. The black wire goes to a metal part of the car to ground it. When the switch is on your LED lights should be on. Looking at the switch it appears to have a small light in the tip of the handle. I assume that you would have the light on when the switch is on. If you want the light to work you will probably need to hook the ground wire to the third lug on the switch. It might have a diagram with the switch that shows the switch like an open gate and a curly wire logo that represents a light. IF it does not have a light in the end you will have a short with the ground connected.

Two more things... First, get an inline fuse holder and locate it where you can get to it if you burn up the fuse. LED's dont take much power so you can use just about any size fuse..2amp or 5 amp should work fine. Second you can take one wire from the switch and run it to the first led. DO NOT CUT IT. Use a match/lighter to heat up the cover on the wire and then scrape it off gently without burning yourself. Now you have a long wire with an inch of insulation missing. Fold the wire in half so that you can stick the exposed part in a butt connector. The other end is where you put the red led wire. Crimp or squeeze the connector and your done. Then go to the next led and do the same thing untill you get all of them done. You can do the same for the black wire. If you are going two different directions put two wires on the switch and do the same thing.

Neatness counts..You can shorten the wires on the led's but not too short incase you want to do something else with them later. Be sure you put the fuse as close to the lighter as you can. Years ago I had a fog light wire get pinched and it melted the cover off the wire and almost burned up my pickup.

Of course heat shrink tubing and solder is another option but this is the K.I.S.S. method.

PS> While you have the lighter exposed you might want to add another one next to it.
Thank you so much! I just want to clarify the directions about the in-line fuse. This is the fuse I think I will be getting:

So to be clear, I'm running a hot wire in the Cigarette Lighter to one side of the inline fuse. I fold the tip of the wire into a bend, and insert the bend into the fuse.

A different wire from the Inline Fuse then goes to the Switch which has 3 prongs underneath:

1: Power
2: ACC
3: Ground

I run the wire coming out from the inline fuse to #1 (Power) .

I ground #3 (ground) ONLY if there is an LED inside the switch handle. If there is not a LED inside the switch, I don't attach any wires, and leave as is.

I run the RED wire from the LED to #2 (ACC) on the switch. I run the BLACK wire from the LED to a ground/screw in the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.