Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that telling the wife not to drive into standing water....of unknown depth...was all I needed to do to avoid hydro-locking the engine. :( Well this proved not to be the case, as she managed to suck water up into the engine during a typical SW Florida thunder storm. The xB is at the dealership now...awaiting a determination. The good news is that the damage is covered under my insurance...so best case is I'm out the $50.00 deductable and have the xB back and in good shape. Then the issue will be how to prevent a recurrence.... Go back to the original air box.... :yawn: .....convert to a "short intake"...or install the "AME by-pass valve"...at this point I'm leaning towards the "by-pass" if it will fit...if not I'm open to suggestions on a "short intake" that will place the filter higher in the engine bay.

Should know by early next week what the insurance company will do....

Brewski

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too am in Florida (Cutler Bay area) and I already purchased my CAI (not yet installed) but the first thing I made sure to buy was the By-pass valve to make sure I take all precautionary measures for this not to happen. I have used those bypass valves before and from my experience....they work and worth it!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnnyBoy said:
Thanks...just as soon as I know that the xB is coming home I'm going to order the AME bypass...great write up you provided in the link!

I really didn't want to go back to stock...but I promised the wife that I wouldn't keep the CAI if it was going to cause her some concern every time it rains...

Thanks again!

Brewski

·
Registered
50 Posts
i bought the aem bypass valve and it does fit you just have to cut your intake.. i too have the fujita cai.. you can put a injen hydro shield!!! i ended up returning the bypass valve and getting my money back.. i do not want to cut the intake.. but did you also remove the side vents ???? i drove through a thunder storm here on guam and i didnt get hydro lock... i even drove into a puddle as well... well thank god that your not paying for the repair... and good luck on finding a solution... i recommend the hydro shield..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guambomb86 said:
i bought the aem bypass valve and it does fit you just have to cut your intake.. i too have the fujita cai.. you can put a injen hydro shield!!! i ended up returning the bypass valve and getting my money back.. i do not want to cut the intake.. but did you also remove the side vents ???? i drove through a thunder storm here on guam and i didnt get hydro lock... i even drove into a puddle as well... well thank god that your not paying for the repair... and good luck on finding a solution... i recommend the hydro shield..
Well, you were lucky...I also had the injen hydro shield installed when the hydro-lock occurred. I don't understand why you would need to "cut the intake", unless there is not enough clearance between the battery and the fuse box to install the by-pass where the break is for the "down" part of the intake. As for the vent...yes I have the TRD CAI vent installed. I'll either install the by-pass (even if I need to cut the intake) or go back to the stock air box with the K&N filter....but, that is a last resort. May even dump the Fujita and go something like the Weapons R short intake...as it is now, the dealer is tearing the engine down to replace a bent connecting rod or rods...so it is not here to look at the intake. I would think that Guam would have "monsoons" that would equal the SW Florida tropical storms...so good luck on avoiding the dreaded "hydo-lock"...

Brewski

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JohnnyBoy said:
I too am in Florida (Cutler Bay area) and I already purchased my CAI (not yet installed) but the first thing I made sure to buy was the By-pass valve to make sure I take all precautionary measures for this not to happen. I have used those bypass valves before and from my experience....they work and worth it!
You are indeed a smart person...I've ordered a AEM by-pass, part number 20-402S (2.75"),,,,and will install it as soon as the xB is back in the driveway...new short block coming from CA will arrive later this week....Insurance Adjuster told me that it will be $6500 with parts and labor....I'll go back to the stock intake only if the Dealer says I have to to guarantee the work...I hope that is not the case...."cause stock is boring!"

Brewski

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey fellas this is the reason i held off in putting a cai in my 09 so for now this is what i did till i find a solution removed air filter and installed a k&n filter was better but not quit right then someone at the dealership that has one suggested removing the top filter in the stock airbox its held in by plastic rivets just pry them out with a screw driver now the air circulates alot faster now. Anyone else tried this. :sneaky:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rog63 said:
Hey fellas this is the reason i held off in putting a cai in my 09 so for now this is what i did till i find a solution removed air filter and installed a k&n filter was better but not quit right then someone at the dealership that has one suggested removing the top filter in the stock airbox its held in by plastic rivets just pry them out with a screw driver now the air circulates alot faster now. Anyone else tried this. :sneaky:
You could also consider removing part of the very long intake "hose" that goes down into the area that the filter for a CAI would be located....ie. Take air directly into the the stock airbox and then thru the K&N filter....with the input high on the engine there should be no problem with sucking water into the engine...unless you put the whole car into very, very deep water. Even at that you still will not get the boost that a pure CAI will provide...but, it would be easy and safer...(I'm still waiting on the AEM by-pass and the xB is still in the shop....lesson learned the hard way.)

Brewski

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks brewski any reason for that hose being so long. i can't think of any? How far back do you think would be safe to cut that thing. :confused:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rog63 said:
Thanks brewski any reason for that hose being so long. i can't think of any? How far back do you think would be safe to cut that thing. :confused:
It is my understanding that the long inlet hose serves two purposes...one to get the input high away from the threat of intaking water...but also to make the input quieter. If I were going that way I would eliminate the whole thing...now if you want "safe" just leave it as it is.

Brewski

·
Registered
781 Posts
Speaking for myself, I replaced the snorkle with a 3" pipe into the driver's side fender and installed a valve into the underside of the OE airbox. If the pipe tries to draw water, the valve will bring air from the engine compartment instead and that'll solve the problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Where do you install the bypass valve? before the intake at the throttle body? or in between the two intake pipes? I have a Fujita CAI by the way.

·
Registered
781 Posts
guambomb86 said:
Rain isn't the problem, water standing high enough to cover the intake vent is. The only certain solution is to make it easier for the engine to suck air than water -- that's what the AEM bypass provides.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Regarding improving the OE intake -- step one is remove the snorkle -- step two is install a high flow air filter. Removing the carbon filter (above the air filter) is optional, the TRD CAI includes the same filter.

Brewski said:
You could also consider removing part of the very long intake "hose" that goes down into the area that the filter for a CAI would be located....ie. Take air directly into the the stock airbox and then thru the K&N filter....with the input high on the engine there should be no problem with sucking water into the engine...unless you put the whole car into very, very deep water. Even at that you still will not get the boost that a pure CAI will provide...but, it would be easy and safer...(I'm still waiting on the AEM by-pass and the xB is still in the shop....lesson learned the hard way.)

Brewski
From everything I've read, a CAI actually provides only a very modest improvement over an SR, and then it still depends on conditions and the way it's driven. One actually loses very little in choosing SR.

===========================================================================

Oops :eek:! I've just been responding to a very old thread -- sorry about that folks :(.

·
Registered
781 Posts
MenniFresh said:
Where do you install the bypass valve? before the intake at the throttle body? or in between the two intake pipes? I have a Fujita CAI by the way.
Anywhere well above the CAI intake but before the MAF -- all air reaching the TB must be counted.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks man.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.