Scion XB Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am researching OEM disc brake upgrades (any OEM; not just Toyota/Scion) for...

I wonder if you could use the 2010 LS460 calipers with 2006 LS430 rotors. The rotors are 5mm thicker than the Xb and have a height difference of +6mm. Diameter difference of +40mm. Same bolt pattern and bore size.

All depends on the mounting points on the caliper. The LS430 calipers mount totally different so that's why the 460 ones would be the option. Plus they look sexy.

Rumor has it they are made by brembo too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm definitely moving forward with this. This is the final interchange list for front brakes:

2008-2013 HIGHLANDER
2010-2013 LEXUS RX350
2010-2013 LEXUS RX450H
2011-2014 SIENNA

Just trying to locate some at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ALL PROGRESS SO FAR IS DEAD!

I got ahold of some Camry brakes (at not cost) with the same mounting spacing and specs as the highlander brakes, and the caliper bracket mounting holes are half an inch off (5.5" apart on the xB, 6" on the Camry). This means that the highlander brakes are NOT an option.

Back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)

Different bolt pattern on the rotors, and very likely 6" caliper bracket spacing. Toyota seems to fall into two categories for calipers: 5.5" and 6". The goal now is to find the largest 5.5" application possible. I'm still confident that something is out there. I think I'll hit the junkyard tomorrow with a measuring tape and mark down spacing on as many vehicles as I can.

On the upside, I confirmed 100% that my wife's 2014 Camry can take the highlander brake upgrade, so we will do that once it's out of warranty (it's almost new).

·
Registered
841 Posts
When I was growing up, my uncle had a small junk yard and my brother and I would play in it when my dad would go there to see him. We never worried about snakes or rats. we just had fun with all the old cars. Today, when I need something for car, that's where I go first, the local junk yard, a trove of parts that are OEM and a lot cheaper that new. I haven't found a lot of xB's at the one closest to me. I'm looking now for the unit that is located on the head liner. I'll need to get the template. With the weather getting colder, I'll most likely wait until spring to do the install.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah salvage yards definitely have been my go-to place for this.

So far the best rotor looks like the RX330 (319mm and 26-38mm thickness vs 275/22-25), but finding a matching caliper has been difficult. The Majority of calipers out there that have the right bracket mounting (140mm) are from vans and SUVs, but I'm going to have to actually get my hands on them to try. I still wish someone had caliper measurements online.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
After looking a little more, I can't believe I didn't see this sooner... (I suppose some work was started on it in this thread, but I don't think it was ever attempted). The TC2 brakes look like they are a 100% match - just change the caliper bracket (same caliper) and rotor to go from 275 to 296mm diameter and 22/25 to 25/28mm thickness.

I'll research pricing but I bet this is a stupid cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Pricing is in: About $30 each for rotors new (or more if you want nicer ones), but caliper brackets aren't readily available. Nearly $80 each from a dealer, but should only be a few bucks if I can locate one at a salvage yard somewhere.

So yeah as long as I can locate a decent junkyard version of the brackets, we're talking under $100 for the upgrade.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
More progress: the caliper bracket from the upgrade comes from:

2001-2014 Scion TC
2006-2014 Toyota RAV4

Finding a 2006+ RAV4 at a salvage yard is far more likely than finding a 2011+ TC

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
As usual I'm just talking to myself to keep all my notes in one place.

The 2006-2014 RAV4 brakes must be the V6 model. The 4 cylinder model uses the xB brakes.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OK, I'm at a loss here...

Centric caliper bracket casting 63-25 fits the xB2 and 4 cylinder RAV4 (2006-2014)

Centric caliper bracket casting 63-28 fits (supposedly):

2011-2014 Scion TC
2006-2014 Toyota RAV4
2001-2003 Toyota Sienna
2002-2005 Toyota Camry (which doesn't seem right; I thought they were 6 inch spacing)
2007-2010 Toyota Camry
2003-2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2003-2012 Toyota Tacoma
2003-2012 Toyota 4Runner
2007-2010 Lexus ES250
2007-2010 Lexus ES300
2007-2010 Lexus ES300H
2007-2010 Lexus ES330
2007-2010 Lexus ES350

If this is true, it shouldn't be incredibly difficult to find the right brackets. Surely some yard around here has one of those. This also opens up other options for swaps as well, but I assume the big different here is hub and rotor backspacing to match those hubs.

Edit: There's a yard nearby with a 2002 Camry with the appropriate brackets; gonna go pull em in a few minutes and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Allright, after much more research and some more time this afternoon at the salvage yard, I'm going to locate 06-14 V6 RAV4 front caliper brackets and some decent quality discs and go with them. It's not a major upgrade, but its really cheap and I can finally close the book on this one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
What do the caliper brackets look like?
Almost exactly the same as the xB brackets, just a touch taller to allow a larger disc:

RAV4: ELECTRONIC CATALOG - MULTIMEDIA FORM
xB: ELECTRONIC CATALOG - MULTIMEDIA FORM

The argument could be made for using the RAV4 caliper instead of the xB since it shifts the brake line connection down just a to compensate, but I think there's more than enough give in the xB brake line to allow for that without issues. Plus it's a lot cheaper and easier upgrade if you don't switch (I think the xB caliper can handle the extra 3mm of thickness, and that way you don't have to swap pads, completely drain and refill the brakes, etc.)

I'm going to call a few out of state salvage yards that have the RAV4 brakes in stock and see if they can sell and ship me just the brackets. I can't find anyone who makes them aftermarket, but I doubt they will be very expensive used if I can locate them.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts