Scion XB Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Are they bigger than the xB ones?

Yes, they are taller, wider, and longer. The piston size is the same though, so it shouldn't impact the pedal feel.

xB2 brake pad is 139.2x55.5 and 17.5 thick (mm)
TC2 brake pad is 146.6x56.6 and 17.6 thick (mm)

I'll bet the xB2 calipers will work with the TC2 brackets, but I've found that it's much more cost effective to by calipers with brackets (no one wants to separate them).

Now I'm just trying to settle on rotors. I can get cheap blanks for just over $50 a pair, but I'm wondering if I should spent a bit more on something a touch nicer. I don't believe in the gimmick of cross drilled or slotted, but I know there are better quality blanks out there. I wonder why the seller I got the calipers from isn't selling the rotors as well; looks like they are parting out a whole TC and the car only had 5k miles on it...

Edit: A note on pricing, it looks like I will be able to sell my calipers alone for as much as (if not more than) the TC2 calipers, so this is going to end up being a very cheap upgrade (probably well under $100 when everything is done)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I wonder why the seller I got the calipers from isn't selling the rotors as well; looks like they are parting out a whole TC...
Wouldn't hurt to email the seller and ask!

I salute you and all the research and hunting you've done so far. Good luck on this project and thanks for keeping us up to date.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok, all front parts ordered. Calipers have pads with ~5k miles on them so I'll reuse those, and I bought some generic blank rotors (I've had good luck with cheap blanks, just not slotted or drilled). So my total cost was 115.34 for everything, plus I'll spend about $4 on a big bottle of brake fluid. I'll probably list my old calipers/rotors/pads/brake lines for close to $100 on eBay (and I think i'll get it). They have around 10k miles on them.

So yeah, hopefully a $20ish upgrade in the end. I'll post all the details once I have everything done (everything should be here in time for an install next weekend)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So yeah on the rears - I it turns out that Centric actually has a super detailed catalog of every caliper out there - even stuff from classic cars and manufacturers they don't actually make anything for (lots of OEMs). I was able to scrape the whole thing and there are 1,736 calipers in their catalog. I'm still going through them looking for possible matches.

I'd share the catalog, but it's a single 700mb PDF! (plus I suppose I don't own it, so I probably shouldn't distribute it).

I'll post possible caliper matches as I find them. From there it's a matter of locating a suitable rotor, but calipers need to come first I think.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't think it's necessary for a tc front brake swap as the tc rear has the same size rotor and caliper as the xb. From my calculations, the tc setup adds about 10% more pad surface area, plus the larger rotor. A decent increase. I was looking at Evo8 brembos and they would add 33% more surface area, so a rear upgrade of some sort would be a good idea to restore some rear bias. Just need to work out the mounting spacing etc to see if it's even possible.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I agree that the brake bias shouldn't be an issue with TC2 brakes in the front. I'm totally cool with keeping the same rear rotor diameter if I can switch to a thicker vented model (I think that thin solid rotors are junk).

I got the whole Centric catalog OCR'd so I can search all nearly 2,000 calipers by specs now, but the PDF is 2gb. I went through all Tokico rear calipers and there's no upgrade in sight, but I'll keep looking for other options.

Meanwhile the 2GR-FE swap research continues, and I'm listing my TC2 brake progress here: https://sites.google.com/site/paulsxb2/home/tc2-front-brakes

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
TC2 rotors have arrived. On paper they don't seem much bigger, but in person they are a pretty dramatic upgrade. I suppose that's because the surface area grows considerably as the diameter increases, plus they are noticeably thicker. I highly doubt these will fit under 16" wheels.

I'll put up plenty of side by side and before/after comparisons when I get them installed. The calipers won't be here until Thursday so I'll probably tackle this Friday night.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thank you for all the work on this. My brakes are already starting to look small under my 18s, once the 20s go in they will look pathetic. This will be a great upgrade to help the look and slow the larger wheels down properly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
For anyone watching, here's a pretty sweet deal on some calipers:

11 12 2013 Scion TC Auto Front Brake Caliper Right FRONT2 5 2AR FE Loaded | eBay
11 12 2013 Scion TC Auto Front Brake Caliper Left FRONT2 5 2AR FE Loaded | eBay

Under $100 for the set and supposedly they are pretty much new (pads definitely look new and the seller claims only 10 miles/new take offs). Plus it's best offer so I'm sure you can get them for less.

My calipers will be here tomorrow and I'll be able to confirm tomorrow night, but I'm pretty **** confident everything will work (remember that the RAV4 already uses both the XB and TC brakes on the same vehicle depending on engine size).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
SUCCESS!

The TC2 brakes are a 100% direct fit with no apparent issues. Even the brake lines are the same (I used the new brake lines since they have 70k less miles than my old ones).

When comparing the loose parts side by side they look bigger, but when you do a before/after shot, it doesn't look like that much of difference. Of course you have to keep in mind that the rotor is thicker and the caliper is larger as well. A 16" wheel probably would just barely clear.

I still have to loctite the caliper bolts and do the other side - this is as much as I could get accomplished on my lunch break.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I decided not to write up a how-to since there's really no point (changing rotors and calipers is pretty standard for most disc brake cars). I've archived all the info here: https://sites.google.com/site/paulsxb2/home/tc2-front-brakes

End result:

* Looks good, though not quite as dramatic a visual change as I had hoped
* Not dramatic, but clearly noticeable difference in brake power
* With brake fluid, more loctite (couldn't find my old bottle) and a new brake bleeder kit, I still managed to do everything for under $135. I'm going to list my old calipers, pads, and rotors for about $100 online/$80 locally, so this should end up being a really cheap swap.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
WOW!
That's something I would be interested in!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I think it's worth it, and it's definitely a DIY job. Now I need to figure out how to improve the rear brakes a little (just because I can).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well the seller switched those calipers to free shipping so I picked them up just now, so only $74 for caliper and pads. Since I already run drilled and slotted rotors I suspect my swap will cost a bit more but I'm ok with that. Need something a bit bigger before I move up from my 18s to the 20s I have waiting to go on.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Update on the rear - it's not looking good. I've examined 1,993 rotors, and there are zero potential upgraded rotors that would work (not even considering calipers). The xB rotor has a tiny height (30.5mm) and nothing even comes close with the right bolt size, pattern spacing, and hub size. A rear upgrade is NOT going to happen without a super expensive aftermarket kit, new hubs, or a new rear end.

I'm calling the rear disc upgrade dead for now.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The fronts are the ones that take most of the load anyhow.The whole project is amazing as it is.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts