Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's nothing wrong with my 2008. I feel I'm being petty...but I wanted the stingray metallic color last year and they didn't have it. Now they not only have the color but the park pilot, which I really loved when I used to drive a Mini Coop. I went to a dealer and he offered me $14,000 trade in...that's ridiculous isn't it? I mean I have the nav/dvd system, light kit, cargo and floor mats, etc. I should look for a better deal tho if I do it right?

Also, I may get a MT this time instead of a AT....but i've never driven a MT before. Is this a smart move? More fun to drive this way?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I say go for it if this is what you really want, though I would learn to drive on an older vehicle with MT instead of risking any damages to your brand new one as this sort of thing is not covered under warranty. Life is way too short and if you can afford it then what the hell, just do it! ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Before you take a several thousand dollar bath on trading it in, you might check on what a paint job costs?????

·
Registered
8 Posts
My grand daughter has a 2008 xb (purple) and I have a 2009 (metallic blue). I can't tell the difference. Hers is a manual I have an automatic. I like the auto best. The manual is a bother in heavy traffic. On a mountain road the manual is best, but how many mountain roads do you drive?

I have found from experience clutch cables are always a problem needing adjustment.

The 2.4L engine is super. Love the response...

I bought a 2008 dashmat and it fits the 2009 perfectly... Dashmat (ebay) is kind of a cheapo but it is all I could find... Now need seat covers...
My opinion: I wouldn't change. No gains I can see.

Regarding your latest post, the dealer is making out like a bandit with a GPS that car will sell like hotcakes.... Remember auto trannies sell much better than a manual...
Good luck. (this ain't a good time to take on more debt)

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
Even though I prefer a stick shift over an automatic, I wouldn't recommend switching to the manual transmission unless you are familiar and comfortable with it. Color is an emotional decision. I would move very slowly making a decision based just on color.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ScionxBBabyGirl,
Buying a stick shift because you think it might be "more fun" is not a good reason. Entering the world of manual transmissions is entering a wholly different world. Rather than list the many individual considerations, I'll summarize them by stating that it means you become totally involved in driving. Not many people really like to do that, which is why almost everybody drives auto trannies.
My advice is to live with a stick shift for at least a week before seriously considering spending all that money. If it turns out that you prefer the ease-of-operation of an automatic, you'll get rid of the stick shift car much faster than you got rid of the car that wasn't your favorite color. By selling two near-new Scions you'll take a serious financial bath.
Try renting a stick shift car for a week or two. It doesn't even have to be a Scion; what you want to do is get a feel for driving a stick shift.
Good luck.
Yodar

·
Registered
9 Posts
You need to look at several options before trading. For example. How much do you still owe on your 2008? Now take that amount add it to the price of the new one. Now subtract trade in. I have rolling over negative equity is the wrong thing to do unless you have no other choice. I traded in my 2003 Trailblazer for my 09 XB. I still owed $15000 on the Trailblazer, the dealer only gave me $7,000 trade in, so I rolled over $7,000 negative equity :eek:hno: . Instead of buying a $18,000 car I bought a $25,000 car.

Before I decided to complete the deal I had to figure payments, savings in gas etc to make sure I wasn't making the wrong choice. I am saving $75.00 a month between the car payment and gas with the XB than I was with the Trailblazer and I get to drive the XB everyday where my trailblazer I only drove on weekends. I had to find a new daily driver since my daughter will be driving in 3 months and the cavalier will be getting a complete overhaul for her.

Just my thoughts on trading a car in so quickly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I too would be really concerned about rolling over negative equity with the current state of economics. Someone else suggested a paint job. If that is one of the main reasons you want to switch, check that out...it will be MUCH cheaper in the long run.

There were not a lot of differences in the 08 vs 09 roll out. I have had my 08 since July 07 and i absolutely love it. I did like the 1st gen...but I really like the 2nd gen....feels so much more....comfy LOL

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, I don't know what kind of traffic you deal with but with me, I dealt with 4 years of LA traffic with my 6-speed manual before I got the xB. I love my automatic and I don't even miss driving stick shift.

Scionxbbabygirl said:
park pilot, which I really loved when I used to drive a Mini Coop.
What's is park pilot? Does the pilot park your car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Park Pilot isn't an option here in So Cal i believe. It's a dealer installed option, not a factory installed option. Coming from an FJ, this thing practically parks it's self already but a back up sensor is always nice...if that's what it is.

As far as stick goes, I drive stick and I love it (and i live in the LA area). So you just need to try it out before you buy to see if you really like it. To each his/her own.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In my opinion... not worth it... compute your loss if you trade in, check out what MODS you could do with that "extra" cash... But then again, that's just me :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.