Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys

I hit a deer but i just whacked him with the passenger side rocker panel. he darted in front of me and i swerved to miss him . The odd thing is there is no damaged at all to my front of my car or my rocker panel. Now.. here the odd part.. every time i hit a pot hole or bump there is a loud squeak noise from the passenger side shock? the toyota tech said it may be the struts or the bush bearing? Could this happen since i had no damage to the car for hitting bambi?
I'll say this to anyone wishing to buy this car.. its a freaking tank !! check out the crash test on youtube.
1:
3:

· Premium Member
2,527 Posts
well here is the thing, you swerved out of the way and hit something WHILE swerving. The impact could have easily messed up your alignment, which you would notice fairly easily when driving, and it could have also done something to the internal workings of the wheel (hub, tire rod, busing, ect) or something along those lines.

Your best bet would be to have it looked at, because it will only get worse and could cost you a pretty penny for bouncing bambi off your bumper.

Living in New England, you're lucky if you dont hit a deer at least once while driving, so I feel your pain man.

· Registered
126 Posts
Get it looked at. You didn't say that when you swerved that you swerved off the side of the road. I assuming you did. You may have hit a pothole or the edge of the pavement and with the angle of you tires you could have torqued something. Even a pavement seam can do this if hit it at the right angle.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well here is the story... a deer jumped in front of my car i missed him and as i was "missing him" another was right in front of me i hit the brakes and cocked hard left to miss hitting him. I ended up hitting his buttocks with my passenger side rocker panel and front head light.. I got out to see if i offed Bambi and he was no where insight. I had some poop on my hood and not even a dent scratch or nick on my car at all.. which surprised me ! now i got the squeak ! it only happens when i hit a hard pot hole but i didnt go off the road when i hit the dear.. VSC works !

· Registered
96 Posts
Hey too bad you didn't finish bambi that would have been some good eats!!!!

But seriously you say there was some damage to the headlight and the rocker panel ? or do you mean the front quarter panel?

If its the front quarter panel then you might have also hit it with your wheel and if so you might have torn the bushing at the top of the shock tower that would explaine the squeek I say get it checked or if you notice the squeek getting louder more frequent,noticable then hurry before you do more damage!

· Registered
782 Posts
kidparis said:
Well here is the story... a deer jumped in front of my car i missed him and as i was "missing him" another was right in front of me i hit the brakes and cocked hard left to miss hitting him. I ended up hitting his buttocks with my passenger side rocker panel and front head light.. I got out to see if i offed Bambi and he was no where insight. I had some poop on my hood and not even a dent scratch or nick on my car at all.. which surprised me ! now i got the squeak ! it only happens when i hit a hard pot hole but i didnt go off the road when i hit the dear.. VSC works !
The rocker panels are at the bottom sides, so I'm guessing you mean the passenger front fender -- right?

· Registered
3 Posts
I just hit a deer last night. :mad: Deer are a huge hazard where I live this time of year. Luckily I was on a road whose speed limit is 35 MPH. I lost the font skirting, driver quarter panel, and buckled the hood. Adjuster comes Monday.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i'm taking it to get looked at.. the other thing is i get a load whistle sound from the replaced windshield they did back in may while driving on the high way.. i think they didn't install it right..

· Premium Member
811 Posts
Most of the places we travel have a lot of deer and you know they love to graze by the road. We bought a pair of "whistles" at a truck stop and installed them on the outside of the plastic cowl right beside the windshield. I had them on the 4Runner in the grill, but that was impossible on this car. They seem to work just fine. They also slip out of the holder when you don't want them to show. We just returned from another trip where half of the driving was at night with deer by the road with no problem. I'm just saying...

· Registered
474 Posts
Hellen4Wheels said:
Most of the places we travel have a lot of deer and you know they love to graze by the road. We bought a pair of "whistles" at a truck stop and installed them on the outside of the plastic cowl right beside the windshield. I had them on the 4Runner in the grill, but that was impossible on this car. They seem to work just fine. They also slip out of the holder when you don't want them to show. We just returned from another trip where half of the driving was at night with deer by the road with no problem. I'm just saying...
I put the "whistles" on my motorcycle after a near miss in East Texas...and never had another problem with deer...maybe it was luck or just maybe the "whistles" work.

Brewski

· Registered
94 Posts
Brewski said:
Hellen4Wheels said:
I put the "whistles" on my motorcycle after a near miss in East Texas...and never had another problem with deer...maybe it was luck or just maybe the "whistles" work.

Brewski
If whistles work, how come you don't hear a jet plane until after it passes you? Ever been to an airshow with the T-birds or Blue Angels and a jet comes over your head from behind and damn near makes you crap your pants??? I don't think a deer can hear a whistle behind your oncoming car, it just doesn't make sense and I worry it gives you a false sense of security, Chief

· Registered
318 Posts
chief52 said:
Brewski said:
Hellen4Wheels said:

Brewski

because the jets are going supersonic
If whistles work, how come you don't hear a jet plane until after it passes you? Ever been to an airshow with the T-birds or Blue Angels and a jet comes over your head from behind and damn near makes you crap your pants??? I don't think a deer can hear a whistle behind your oncoming car, it just doesn't make sense and I worry it gives you a false sense of security, Chief

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The jets aren't usually going supersonic at an airshow (it has been known to happen, but VERY rarely). But, they are likely going at the higher subsonic levels, so your point is a good one.

· Registered
27 Posts
My wife and I have had the horns on our vehicles for years. I'm a cynical guy and they of course seem like one of those items peddled by con artists and crooks. I asked everyone I saw who had them on a vehicle for about a year prior to purchasing, if they worked. Reply was always the same....I haven't hit a deer, but there are lots of people that don't have them that haven't hit a deer. Point well taken, but I've spent less than 10 bucks in worse ways. Seem to work to me...perhaps the placebo effect. Mounting was a challenge on the XB. I ended up putting them under the lip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.