Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to make the rear hatch door open different than other xB2s

i've been brainstorming for a couple of days now and i think i got something.

i want to make it open something like this...

it's from the scion fuse

i'll figure out a way to do it and make it happen

if someone else does it before me, congrats

but i will make it happen :yes:

or else i'll think of something else :dontgetit:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I may have an idea for you, but it'd take a better mind than mine to figure out exactly the parts you would need and at what psi.

The way I'd do it would be to figure out the weight of the rear hatch and figure out how many psi two arms would need to hold up the door in it's up position. Think of the arms as pistons attached to hinges that pop out when the hatch is unlocked and fold back in to lock the rear once you're done. Something like a fold out screen for car stereos, only on a larger scale.

The major problems I see with this idea is 1) locking the door back when you're done (maybe a dual bar that when turned one way bolts the door closed, but folds into the door when the key is turned the other way so it will open?) and 2) sealing it shut so the weather doesnt' seep in.

I know, it's after 1 am here adn I'll need to think a little more on it. I'll try to be more specific later on for you.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
That would be pretty cool to see... The way I understand it, you'd have to split the glass from the hatch door, have the glass push out and slide up on tracks, and then hinges on the bottom or side of the lower part of the hatch door. Keep in mind the wires going to the third brake light assembly would need to extend to the new height when the window is in the open position, or the brake light would need to be removed or relocated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts