Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here is competing in either of these this coming season.

I will if there are more than 5 shows in Southern Cali. I used to do IASCA for the Pro SQ class and am interested in doin' it again.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with 2 DD 15"? should be very attainable. I got a buddy that was doin' 145 db with 1 12". Box is everything

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
528 Posts
Cool. Good thing you can turn bass down... I'm not all that into SQ competing anyway. Bassrace is more my game.

Build on that xB is pretty nice, but doesn't appear that there's any type of acoustical engineering involved whatsoever. Looks nice, though.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Acoustical engineering? Whoa? you mean imaging? Its on the way. In the meantime here is the system layout. I have only won 1st place trophies in Pro SQ class and 2 perfect RTA Zero scores. Imaging is what I do. Anyone can do spl. Not insulting, just saying.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Nope. Acoustical engineering. I primarily refer to subwoofer enclosure engineering.
I've been working on my front stage, but I keep selling the amplifier I want to install, to actively run my components. :lol: I've bought two of the same amplifier but all my friends want it, so I sell it for a marginal profit.
I have a set of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25's sitting around at my house. Won those from winning Bassrace 130-139.9 class. NOT everyone can Bassrace a perfect 39.9. Takes a lot of practice and knowing your stereo, as well as the track your using. dB Drag isn't my forte, Bassrace is. I have good friends running Psychlone. That event gets pretty crazy.
Goals for 2012 include upping my substage to the 148 range and focusing on more dampening and front stage.
What are some components you'd recommend? I'm always down for recomendations! :cheers:

FYI, I'm running JL XR 6.5 components. Pretty decent, but I'm always after more. I feel my midbass is lacking.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I competed, I used the JL XR653CS which are no longer in production. They used the paper mid. Come see the car.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3386787/1987-toyota-corolla
Imaging in the Corolla was off the hook. 6" facing up 4" mids facing foward and the tweeters facing toward the center. I still meet guys at car meets that remember this setup, "your the guy that had woofers in his floors, right?".
As you can see I always use higher end gear for sound. Xtant for that car and now a/d/s/ and Boston Acoustics for this one. Wifee settles for Rockford, which is still good ****. She's happy.
I always do 3 ways after having those which are now in my buddies Dodge. He still uses the Xtant 1001x and 404m that I sold him in 1999. Higher end gear usually lasts along time. My a/d/s amp is 21 years old and still sounds excellent. I'm only the 2nd owner too.
These are the speakers I considered before these:
This company makes awesome speakers
Hi-Vi D630 3-way Autosound System: Madisound Speaker Store
These Powerbass sound incredible for a lower end company. The mid bass for this year uses the cast basket found in the 3xl sets. The mid is a silk dome.
WoofersEtc.com - 2XL-60.3C - Powerbass 6.5" 3-Ohm Component 3-Way Speaker Kit
Dls, made the list
DLS Reference 6.3 (R63) 6-1/2" 3-way Component System
Focal Poly glass, I almost bought these. My cost was $350. not $900.
Focal 165-VR3 (165vr3) 6-1/2" + 4" 3-way Component System (165VR3)

Only 2 way set I considered
Hi-Vi FR600 6" 2-way Autosound System: Madisound Speaker Store

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope. Acoustical engineering. I primarily refer to subwoofer enclosure engineering.
I've been working on my front stage, but I keep selling the amplifier I want to install, to actively run my components. :lol: I've bought two of the same amplifier but all my friends want it, so I sell it for a marginal profit.
I have a set of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25's sitting around at my house. Won those from winning Bassrace 130-139.9 class. NOT everyone can Bassrace a perfect 39.9. Takes a lot of practice and knowing your stereo, as well as the track your using. dB Drag isn't my forte, Bassrace is. I have good friends running Psychlone. That event gets pretty crazy.
Goals for 2012 include upping my substage to the 148 range and focusing on more dampening and front stage.
What are some components you'd recommend? I'm always down for recomendations! :cheers:

FYI, I'm running JL XR 6.5 components. Pretty decent, but I'm always after more. I feel my midbass is lacking.

As for the box, I have been building fiberglass and mdf boxes for 17 yrs and I have plenty of references to this fact that I build excellent enclosures. So with this don't you think I might have some craft. I have built hundreds of boxes from standard sealed to ported. Just out of curiosity, how much experience building enclosures have you had? Didn't you say your friend is building your box?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I always look around Madisound. They have decent equipment for decent pricing. I remember Xtant from back in the day, just never had the cash to get any of their product.
I've been running Sundown as far as amplification. I know a lot of dedicated SQ guys don't like the sound they provide, but my ears aren't that refined. :lol:
I have been wanting to go 3 way. I heard a set of 3 way active Focal Utopias ran off of Mosconi amps. BUTTER. Midbass was in my face, I could actually feel it. Imaging was fantastic.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best imaging I ever hear was a friend Bill Kraut; his Subaru SVX red had 2 2 channel Phoenix Gold amps he actually made (he worked R & D at Phoenix Gold) with a pair of Kef Uni-Q 8" for the front stage and 3 9" x 13" subwoofers. His audio control was done with a Behringer digital 31 band per channel Pro Audio processor converted to 12 volt and the deck was an Alpine that was converted to have Kimber Cable connectors. I still have the song that I 1st heard in that car. Michael Ruff's song, "Wishing Well". One of the best imaging songs of all time off the Sheffield Labs, "Ultimate Sheffield" disc.

He competed with that setup in Expert class IASCA for a few yrs with alot of 1st place trophies. We used to work together at Performance Autosound in Portland OR. These are the kinda guys I learned imaging from.

·
Registered
528 Posts
As for the box, I have been building fiberglass and mdf boxes for 17 yrs and I have plenty of references to this fact that I build excellent enclosures. So with this don't you think I might have some craft. I have built hundreds of boxes from standard sealed to ported. Just out of curiosity, how much experience building enclosures have you had? Didn't you say your friend is building your box?
As far as this goes, I've been building enclosures for the past 12years. However, I have an actual acoustic engineer design them for me. :cheers:
Anyone can design and build standard bass reflex and sealed enclosures. Especially with the aide of Bass Box Pro or WinISD. However, neither really give accurate real world results.
Standard bass reflex and sealed enclousres can only do so much. Most of the enclosures that have been designed for my car are rear loading folded horns. It's a variant of standard horns, just scaled down a bit.
I have a close friend that has been working quite a bit with quarter wave theory. He's designed and built some really nice tapered transmission lines, rear loading horns, and bandpasses. I'd get more into it myself, but I really don't have the time to do so.
Every enclosure I've had in my car has been built solely by myself. I've had roughly 4 seperate enclosures within the past 5 years.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The install I performed on my buddy's xB turned out pretty alright.

He wanted to maintain a fairly stock look and not occupy a lot of space. So out went the spare and in went his stereo equipment.
Planet Audio amplifier has since been replaced with a Sundown SAX-100.4d. Amplifier powers both 8" subwoofers and the 6.5" components. Just a clean little inexpensive install. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not bad install, did you tub the subs or do a wood box? Even my amprack is fiberglassed with a cooling fan and vents too.

So, when do I get to see yer handy work in yours?
Yes, I know it isn't finished, our cars never are. Soon as you finish, time to start over.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Best pic I have right now... mind the crappy camera phone pic. DD sub is installed, this sub was a Soundstream XXX 15. Softparts kept letting loose.

Same false floor and amprack, just the same enclosure as above:

I want to move main battery from under the hood to under my false floor, same with the secondary battery. Teammate of mine is sponsored by Kinetik, so we're waiting on getting a big order to order batteries. I want to trim everything out, so it looks a bit more presentable.
I have pictures of other enclosures on photobucket, but I'm currently at work and work blocks photobucket. :clown:

The above enclosure, the one you were asking about, is all wood. Client didn't want to spend the money on fiberglass, so I had to build it all out of MDF. If I would have built it out of fiberglass, I could have ported the enclosure.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheap guy didn't want fiber!!

Most of my pics are with my Moto X phone. I did my 2nd battery in the back as well. I might down the road get a SVR800 or whatever Kinetic fits our cars. My friend JT is also sponsored by them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you google "team rarefaction" you will come across one of my larger builds.
Video:

Most of us on the team are leaning more towards "SQL". I'm super jealous of everyone with a nice front stage! My headunit has time alignment and a decent EQ (DEH-P980BT), but it takes fooooreeeevvveeeerrrr.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.