Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a JL Stealthbox today. A very simple install and so far worth the cost and space saving in the rear. What I found interesting is that I was to apply a wax square to locate the mounting bolt then drill a 1 inch hole in the plastic and a 3/8 hole in the the wheel arch. once I drilled the plastic, I found an existing 3/8 hole which was in the perfect spot!

The only drawback to the JL is it will be required to remove it to change any bulbs in the right rear and I lost use of the small cubby in the floor. The carpet "almost" fits perfectly. It may be 3/8 of an inch too wide. But not enough to trigger an OCD moment and trim it!!

I have it driven by a JL 5 channel amp which provides 500 watts to the sub and 100 to the front and rear speakers. It won't win any spl awards but the bottom end has filled in nicely and is making the Polk speakers sound a bit better than I think they should. Not sure they are going to stay, but for now I'm a happy camper!

Gordon

·
Registered
243 Posts
sounds great, man! you happy, we happy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'll try again to post pics. Frankly, I've tried to post pics in several different forums and, I suck!

If I can't figure it out, the JL site has a pic and it is identical to my install. The fabric match is spot on and except for the cubby loss, a very nice addition.

My only recommendation would be to remove the right rear wheel and find the existing hole in the wheel well, drill a pilot hole from the wheel well into the plastic interior. Then drill the 1 inch hole in the plastic for the spacer which is provided by JL. This way you're not putting an additional hole in the car. I honestly believe JL knew that hole was there but trying to get the alignment correct might have been abit difficult for the "average" installer.

After playing with it for a couple days, I think a 10" would have been more appropriate than the 12. The 12 does not seem to be fast enough for the remotes. Although an amp with more than 500 watts may be able to control the sub better.

Gordon

·
Registered
844 Posts
Gordon, your add-on sub project appears to be right on. If you have any worries about the rear lamps burning out, why not replace them with LED's, that way they'll never need to move the box.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah that jl box is the same one i have. i didnt drill the hole tho, i just used double sided velcro from box to the side panel, just in case i wanted to take box out, there wouldnt be a hole.

·
Registered
33 Posts
JL box hits great for a W3v2 IMHO- I have it set at -2 on deck and about 45position on the amp - have to look at what freq but still everything bounces including your hair - I love it. I am running a JL 500/5 amp. Alpine type S components on the fronts.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It looks really nice, but way more than I can afford. That's why I'm going to try to build by own fiberglass enclosure to go in the same spot (assuming I have time). Of course I've never done it before, so it may be $100 in materials down the drain if it turns out to be a huge fail. :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts