Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the springs installed today. By the way, I hate paying somebody to do my wrenching for me but work didn't allow for me to do this change.

I did get a real 1.5 drop in the rear and 1 in the front. The jacked up rear is now gone and the car looks more on an even keel. I honestly thought the drop would have been visually more, but everything I read was true and really can't complain. There is still abit more gap than I like but I'll roll on these for awhile to see if they settle a bit.

I also have the 19 TRD wheels. I think the ride is better with the TRD springs vice the stockers. Something just did not feel right before the spring change. After a drive of about 15 miles on different type roads, I believe that the TRD pieces are just about right for me. I may get sucked into the lower some more later!

I also think (perhaps wrongly) that sticking with a complete lineup, whether brand x or y makes sense. Each piece is designed to compliment the other within a lineup regardless of manufacturer. Next up is the rear sway bar and even though it may just be eye-candy, the front strut tower brace.

Gordon

·
Registered
781 Posts
FWIW -- despite the oft repeated BS on the various forums, quality springs don't settle, any change in ride height is due to installation errors. However, if you get junk springs, anything's possible :(! Still, you're surely safe with TRD, as well as other major brands.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I recently did the complete install too.... Bought everything first then installed everything at once... Did the rear springs and installed the sway bar... Did the front and installed the strut bar....

Here is a tip for you guys.... If you are looking to buy the sway bar or strut bar from the dealer.... First find out who has it the cheapest online.... Then go to your local dealer... If its higher then the price you found online.... Ask them if they can Price Match....right away they will ask you how much you saw it for and from where.... Even if they can't match it they will try to come close to it....

Food for thought.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Trd 19's with TRD springs are a perfect match. The gap all around the wheel is even top and sides. This is perfect for my visual OCD'ness. It has the added benefit of being a useful uncompromising drop gor drivability and handling. I'm glad I bought mine that way, for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To those with experience with these springs: I noticed that in the rear, the springs are coil bound on the tops, perhaps 2-2.5 turns. I've never experienced coil bound springs before and wonder if this situation is normal?

Gordon

·
Registered
979 Posts
Here is a tip for you guys.... If you are looking to buy the sway bar or strut bar from the dealer.... First find out who has it the cheapest online.... Then go to your local dealer... If its higher then the price you found online.... Ask them if they can Price Match....right away they will ask you how much you saw it for and from where.... Even if they can't match it they will try to come close to it....

Food for thought.
Not my dealer. I tried this when I bought my sway bar. They acted mad that other dealers are discounting because they said parts are supposed to be "pure price" too. The local dealer wouldn't budge on price, so I bought it from Sparks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just because you bought Scion parts from somewhere else, the dealer most likely will install them. The parts dept. and service are really two separate departments. Example: when I had my Tundra, I got the TRD exhaust from one dealer that had the best price and took it to my dealer for the install. They did it with no questions ask. I think they charged $150, and took 30 mins.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pure Price only applies to the parts and vehicle at time of initial vehicle purchase.
After purchase there is a jobber price and a suggested retail price... If the dealer you went todoes not want to accept...well that's too bad... Less business for them and you should let the manager know... I am sure he will be happy to hear his sales people don't want to sell parts.. LoL...

Good luck to you guys buying TRD parts ... They are worth the price... But we are not all making as much $$$$ as Bill Gates... :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Pure Price only applies to the parts and vehicle at time of initial vehicle purchase.
After purchase there is a jobber price and a suggested retail price... If the dealer you went todoes not want to accept...well that's too bad... Less business for them and you should let the manager know... I am sure he will be happy to hear his sales people don't want to sell parts.. LoL...

Good luck to you guys buying TRD parts ... They are worth the price... But we are not all making as much $$$$ as Bill Gates... :)
Yeah I figured as much, or there wouldn't be authorized dealers with discounted prices. I guess they would rather make no $$ than less $$. Since I can install most things myself, I don't mind buying online unless I'm in a hurry for something.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree, I have both front strut bar and rear sway bar and it just eliminates a 70% percent of the body roll..with of course lowering the vehicle will eliminate the rest of body roll.this upgrade is a must!:eek:
FWIW -- Strut tower braces are for the purpose of stabilizing the strut tower geometry and do nothing for body roll. Sway bars act on body roll.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.