Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting ready to start putting my interior lighting in (Figure its a fairly inexpensive mod and im comfortable with it so why not?) and i figured id ask you guys for any insider advice to help before i tear into it this week. i ordered 2 6inch led strips from oznium for under the front dash to start. my goal is to do the dash, driver/passenger seat, and bottle holders. and i would like it to all be run from an independent dimmer switch. any pro tips or schematics or walkthroughs or trash talking or whatever else you have is certainly welcome. ill probably put together a whole DIY on it and put it up here, so i figure ill start with the ones that have done it first

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my goal is to not void my warranty, so im gonna just make my own independent circuit. wire to the battery, through the firewall, my own fuse box, all my own ****. no splicing or anything. that way if there is a problem with anything, i can tear it all out in 10 mins and be good to go. "yea. i dont know. i didnt do anything to it. fix it" (im sneaky like that). i wanted to buy another dimmer switch from them to put in that panel on the left of the steering wheel and make it look stock, but that might blow my cover. still gonna be nice, and i can run under the panels and all that. hopefully gonna do it tuesday night if my order comes in. just gotta explore and figure out how to get all the panels and everything i need apart

·
Registered
44 Posts
Putting lights on the car will not void the warranty unless you did something to the wiring that would cause something on the vehicle to fail. And only if something did fail and they can prove that what you did actually made it fail. I have battled with a few dealerships about lighting and warranty issues and have not had to remove anything before.

Here is my wife's xB:
IMG_0111.mp4 video by jdusty84 - Photobucket

Here is my Neon:
102_4738.mp4 video by jdusty84 - Photobucket

102_4666.mp4 video by jdusty84 - Photobucket

What kind of dimmer switch are you going to be using. If you let me know I can draw you a diagram of how all the wiring should be if you wanted. Also if you have time go to the Oznium forums and under the How to forums (How to & Diagrams ) there are a lot of threads about how to do the actual wiring and calculating the fuse size and everything.

I hope some of this can help you out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my goal is to use the actual dimmer that they have on that panel to the left of the steering wheel for the lights inside. i want to get another one from toyota and just put it in that little plate right next to the other switches in there. i want to make it look "stock" if you know what im going for. underglow will happen eventually. i dont know if i want it to look like a christmas tree like that car (not knocking it at all, its pretty bitchin) lol. im doing all UV lights inside, and i go to california quite a bit and i want to be able to turn them down/off cause cops out there are douches. i just want to be careful and not void anything quite yet. i figure i can just make my own circuit and run it through the firewall to the battery and make it all mine, that way if there was an issue i can rip it out real quick.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You are talking about using the gauge light dimmer. I thought you were going to use a seperate dimmer. If you use the factory dimmer then you are going to have to splice some wires to accomplish this. I would add in a on/off switch in one of the available blanks and just have them turn on or off with the switch. Very easy to do. The UV lights will not be very bright due to the amount of lumens that they put off. In other words you would not have to worry about dimming them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was talking about getting a second one and cutting a hole in that panel and adding it in there next to (i think its the power mirror adjuster thats on there with the first dimmer.)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea. i was thinking about that last night. but i still need somewhere to mount the remote controlled machine guns..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think im just gonna do an on/off switch. gonna try the 6" strips and see how bright they are, then either order 2 more, or do the 12" ones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 12" ones under my wifes dash. They spread out the light evenly. The 6" ones will work, but will not give the coverage of the 12" ones. You can still do the idea of the dimmer switch or get either of these (Inline LED Controller You can dim the LED's that are inline with this one or 12V Remote Control LED Dimmer Switch & Strobe Controller - Plug & Play This one is more expensive due to it being wireless and can do some more features and it has 2 channels out instead of having to wire it inline with the LED's).

I personally have both and the remote dimmer is amazing and I have a ton of LED's hooked up to it and have not ever had a problem and the ECU for it can hide anywhere. You would just have to use the remote to dim the LED's if you wanted them to.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol i dont think i need a wireless remote for my led's. i had one for my stereo in my old explorer, and it basically ended up being another thing that got lost in my car. i do like the idea of strobes and other stuff for another "hey look at this" kinda thing though

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lights Came in today. Probably gonna put them in tonight after a trip to frys electronics to pick up some stuff :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you have any diagrams and whatnot, feel free to send them over. and input is awesome :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Neon Accent Tube Wiring Diagram #1
(for neons WITHOUT external transformer). NOTE: If using a light up switch connect the 3rd connection on the switch to ground.

Same diagram but with LED strips instead of neon tubes. Also what kind of switch (just a simple 2 prong or does it light up)?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep im on there too lol

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I couldn't find a good pos/neg wire to use. I want to use the ones under the seats that are for the seatbelt sensors. Is this possible? Does anyone have a good diagram of the wiring for the connectors under the seats? Or a good way to get to the cig lighter? I really don't want to spend hours tearing panels out and whatnot.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I couldn't find a good pos/neg wire to use. I want to use the ones under the seats that are for the seatbelt sensors. Is this possible? Does anyone have a good diagram of the wiring for the connectors under the seats? Or a good way to get to the cig lighter? I really don't want to spend hours tearing panels out and whatnot.
The nice thing about the B is that you don't "spend hours tearing panels out.". The center console comes apart in ~ 5 mins. the are posts on the forum that describe this. Have fun with your projects.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got the small end panels off closest to the firewall, then the next one was fighting me and I didn't wanna risk snapping something so I gave up for the night lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.