Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered some RGB LED strips from SuperBrightLEDs.com as well as some 5mm RGB LEDs, with the intent to install the 5mm LEDs in all the cup holders (since I am missing the ones built in to the back of the arm rest I will deal with them later, add some kind of switch so it only lights up when you pull out the cup holders) what I need to know is if anyone has any idea what kind of resister setup I would need to install for the LEDs to bring the voltage down from ~12v to the 5v that the 5mm LEDs need, as I have a LED controller coming as well but its 12v to 12v and just controls the LED strips.

And just to give an idea of what I am going to do is with the setup, I will leave the stock RGB setup in place but add my own in the foot wells in the front, under the front seats both front and rear and under the rear seat in the front, using the LED Strips for that. The 5mm LEDs will be in the cup holders in the front sitting next to the stock ones, in the top of the little shelf above the glove box and the cup holders in the doors, it should look awesome. I may even get ambitious and add something to the ceiling of the car later on.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Here is a resistor calculator site that I use occasionally for building LED curcuits.

Current limiting Resistor calculator for leds

Just a word of warning, you will need a lot of LEDs for most of the areas you mentioned as the all black surrounding areas tend to soak up the light output quite a bit. I've actually do LEDs in most of those areas and more and had to use a lot more than initially anticipated.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Here are some of the outfits that I have ordered from:
21LED USA.com
Oznium.com
V-LEDS
I think there is another called super brights, but I've not used them.
Hope these help.
Dale

·
Registered
457 Posts
Honestly I've used almost exclusively LEDs from Chinese sellers on eBay and they have worked great, and I was upward of 1000 LEDs in my car in the previous build. Use cool white in a key word search and you'll find they are the color temp you're looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.