Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2008 xb and occasionally when im driving the vcs, traction control light will flash and the check engine will come on, i got the code off of it and it was powertrain control module malfunction, it dosnt effect how it drives but its just annoying, it will go away after a few start ups, im not too familiar with toyotas and i called to see if there were any recalls and it was only the ignition coil, would that cause this to come on?

· Registered
782 Posts
From reading, that behavior/codes are indicative of a problem with the rear ABS harness connections to the hubs. Usual cause appears to be winter driving, snow and slush splashing over the connectors and resulting in corrosion. That would be my best guess at what you are seeing.

· Registered
846 Posts
I think that I read a post about a SB on this problem a while ago. I'd check with Scion and see if your car is covered.

· Registered
782 Posts
My 08 does this exact same thing, winter only. Been fine once it got 40ish
The solution I'm aware of (aside of taking it to the dealer for rear hub replacement) is to apply dielectric grease to the connector contacts -- preferably before it becomes a significant problem. Dialectric grease can prevent corrosion, but it can't repair it. If the problem is already established, the contacts need to be cleaned of corrosion before preventative steps are taken.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you guys, i was also thinking a bad spot in the wheel speed sensor as well, i didnt know if that was a recall or a common problem with toyota's, it hasnt snowed since april so thats not the issue but i will check the connectors for corrosion

· Registered
846 Posts
If you decide to clean the contacts,might I suggest a product called "Deoxit". It is specifically made to clean corrosion from electrical contacts. The web site is craig.com and they make other products also for removing corrosion, the company is CAIG Labs. and is located in Poway,Ca.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.