Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few reports that the iphone 3G is not working with the IPOD jack in the xB but I've only seen a few comments on this on the various sites. I currently have a video nano and it works great for it but I've been looking at getting an Ipod touch and wanted to make sure it would work with the car.

Just wondering if anyone has used an ipod touch with the car.

Thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a 1st generation iPhone - works fine with the adaptor, I just have to put it airport mode.
So the itouch should work fine as well. Haven't heard about the problems with the 3G, but after reading
the reviews, I'm in no rush to "upgrade".

· Registered
23 Posts
I have a first gen Iphone too and have not had any problems using the IPOD port. The touch has essentially the same internals as the Iphone minus the phone capabilities so it should work fine.

GoodnNuff you shouldn't have to put your phone in airplane mode. I know that the prompt comes up and warns that the device connected is not supported and it askes if you want to put it in airplane mode but you dont have too. I always select NO and it works just fine plus my phone will still ring.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Remember, the issue is with the G3 iPhones. The older iPhones and iPods depends on the internal workings and programming.
Apple changed how the phone works with the new generation and that change may/probably will filter down into the iPod products.

The iPod touch uses practically all the internals of the G2 iPhone, though with certain stuff locked or absent that make the phone be a phone. I've heard differing reports as to what is able to be unlocked and what has been removed/not included in the iPod touch. As I have neither, I didn't "lock" it into long-term personal memory.

Older iPods and iPhone shouldn't have any problems (and can use the stock Scion/iPod cable), though some of the newest models might have compatibility issues with the cable.

· Registered
32 Posts
If you want the full skinny on how Apple screwed their loyal customers, check out this link:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-universal-dock-2007

(It's a long article mostly about video, so search down to the paragraph that starts "The “what” turned out to be..")

I have a G1 nano and have no problems. I just bought a G4 nano and was quite anxious when I read that article. So, of course, I ran out and tested it. It will play. The steering wheel and radio controls will still operate it. That was a relief!

But it will not charge. :mad:

Apple, Scion or a 3rd party will have to make a cable with the licensed Apple chipset in it before that will work. If it's the chipset "lock-out" and not a hardware incompatibility. I suspect the former and not the latter.

· Registered
32 Posts
Cool. That's great news. Would be *highly* interested to hear from any other G4 nano owners on this.

I hit google, and found that several after-market interfaces for various car models state the the following products will not charge with their kit:

-3G iPhone, released 11JUL08
-iPod Touch, 2nd gen, released 09SEP08
-iPod nano, 4th gen, released 09SEP08

Anybody confirm? It was a quick google search, because I'm theoretically at work right now. ;)

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Thats actually the only problem reported. The G3 will work in fine with the adapter supplied from scion as far as music and control. Its the recharing thats the problem. You can no longer charge you iphone or new ipods with that cable. I think you now have to have a second power cable to so as such. Which sucks cause thats what made the ipod so desirable for me. You could plug and play with one cord only. Kinda why I haven't used my xm radio in a while. I hate having all those wires lying around.

· Registered
29 Posts
i have the 3GiPhone and love it. It does work but as mentioned needs to be in airplane mode, and wont charge it. I ended up just buying a 2ndgen nano on ebay and leave it in the xb. (bought it used, had a broken screen but other than that works great! 15bucks!)

· Registered
281 Posts
So I'm trying to decide which iPod to buy for myself and my XB and I'm more confused than ever.

If I go with the Nano, does the G4 nano have enough improvements over the G3 to put up with the fact that it won't charge?

Should I just get an iPod Classic?

Help???

· Registered
20 Posts
That's correct, the only problem we've heard is that the new iPone will not charge but does play music. Thank iPod for that. :confused:

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a gen 1 touch and really like that. Got it as a refurb for really cheap. I personally don't think the Gen4 nanos are better than the gen3's or even the gen1's for that matter. It's got a little larger screen then the gen3 but there is no way I would watch a movie on that thing. I'd say look around for a gen 2 or gen3 nano for cheap and you'd be happy.

The classic is also a great way to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.