Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2009 XB with the optional factory(ish) LED taillight. The ones with the red halos and yellow incandescent bulb on top. I really like these lights, but the driver's side one's brake light is messed up and only half of the lights light up and very dimly at that. I went to order a new one from Toyota, and they said they were "discontinued"...whatever. I found some questionable used ones on ebay, but was afraid to be in the same boat and be out a lot of money in the long run when that one or the existing right one went down. Low and behold, I found a "open box" set on ebay. Guy had just put them up and I bought the SET for $100! Wow, that's awesome right? Wrong. They appear new, but they are both defective and now I have to send them back to the seller for a refund. They have more bad sections than the ones I have.

So here are my questions.

Do you guys have any experience with these aftermarket LED lights? I mean, do they have any quality in them at all, or am I going to be replacing them again in a year or two?

I considered buying some stock lenses and blacking them out and putting those 5 arm LED bulbs in them. Do they swap out like stock bulbs, or require any modification? Will they affect stuff like cruise? Do they look good, or ghetto??

Final option I am considering....Take a dremel and cut the housing on my existing taillight out....remove the LEDs for the running light and halos both, and light it with an incandescent bulb or LED equivalent. I do realize that will leave the halos non working on both the running light and turn signal, but would light up the whole assembly...halos and centers and all when the lights were on...or maybe change the insert to make the top one light up full time like a running light too and blink only for turn. Sealing the enclosure back might be a *****, but ****, what do I have to lose? Anybody ever tried any madness like this before, or am I just wasting my time?

Here's the lights I am considering for LED.

2X 3157 3047 3357 40 SMD LED 5 SPOKE SPIDER TAIL/STOP/BRAKE LIGHT BULB RED | eBay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also read up that you can heat the light up to break it apart. Anybody have any info on this? Can it be done on this type of light?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had two sets and both ended up burning out. First set I bought new and ultimately got them warrantied for the second set. As soon as the second set started burning out, I threw on my OEM tails.
Threw them in the trash. Chalked it up for something I shouldn't have purchased in the first place. Junk and I'm glad Toyota finally realized it. I just wish they were able to do something to the end consumer.

Call Scion and express your concern and see if they can do something for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's about what I figured. I am going to call them on Monday and seeif they will send me some OEM

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody got any input on aftermarket LED?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump. Anybody? I'm about to cut these old ones open and post some pictures as to what is inside. It appears that the top section is separated from the bottom, and the halo for the bottom one is in the same area as the brake lamp, so those should light together as brake/tail, and the upper section will just be off unless blinking to turn, which should be totally legal...not only that but unique!!

so if I am able to remove the guts from the bottom of the unit and put it back together, it should result in a functional taillight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like gutting the bottom section alone would do the trick so that I can get the board and LEDs out, so structure won't really be affected. Any tips on how to put it back together? Fiberglass? Maybe epoxy? That's the only part of this that concerns me at all is put it back together. I'll post some pix for the next guy that has this problem and maybe they can improve upon the process. Any help is most appreciated

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is what they look like with the inside gutted. It's only a board with some LEDs sitting on it. Pretty crappy really. I am going to brainstorm on what to do about the light part. I haven't been able to source any red bulbs. Any ideas guys? I don't think putting it back together is going to be too difficult either. Going to try fiberglass. Can't see any reason that wouldn't work do you?

Till then, I am styling legally like this...Yeah...super cool, but legal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope. It was impossible to get it apart without destroying it, so I did just that. Trying now to decide on whether to Just put it back together and stick red bulbs in it, see how it looks and do the other like that and sell them as a pair, or just cut my loses and throw it in the trash, and sell the remaining working one on ebay. Guarantee someone else is going through the same predicament. I bought some smoked stock ones, and thinking about putting those LED star bulbs in them which would be pretty cool, and reliable. Anybody tried those yet? They are the kind you squeeze together and push them through the hole in the taillight and then they flare back out. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Upon further inspection, I noticed two of the LED bulbs very dim in the one good light on the right. No kidding. These lights truly are junk.

I bought some smoked stock ones to go on my car. Just waiting on them to get here. In the meantime, I shoved some red plastic where the leds used to reside in the one I gutted, and put an incandescent bulb in the hole. Functional...but **** crummy looking when on. But legal. Duct taped the housing back together till they arrive. Gonna put the one "sorta" working on ebay...starting bid at $1 which is about what they are worth.

Still, the question remains. Does anybody have any input on aftermarket LED lights? What stuff is good versus what is garbage?

What about LED bulbs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The LED Tail Lights are JUNK

I got a rejected inspection on my 2008 xB just today for these cheap-*** LED lights that I had the dealer install.

This is the second one to die - the first one Scion covered because it was under warranty. For this one - they told me to look it up online... Nice.

I called the parts desk today and was quoted $360 for one side!!!

Besides, I have not seen this style online - does anyone know where to find the type that was Scion-installed?

At this point I am going to put back the OEM's and draft a nice letter to Scion.:boxing:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey man, I was told there were none available. I think it is bullshyte that there are cars still in warranty with these...what do they tell them? Too bad...so sad? Yeah, I bought my car one year used, so i am assuming the original owner jackwad has the OEM ones. So I bought some stock ones. I wouldn't waste any money buying new ones even if you can get one. It will just do the same. Look at ebay. Cheaper to buy some aftermarket LED lights. Those lights sure are cool looking though. Hate that, but screw them after what I read and this experience. Thinking about the same and sending a complaint.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just figured out something that was confusing the ever loving shyte out of me. xseverdveganx and shepdotcom...we have different taillight wiring harnesses than folks with stock taillights. I kept looking at the bulbs it was calling for. I was like...I don't get it. This bulb socket is an 1157 dual filament bulb...but it kept saying 7443! That's apparently because there two different ones. Why the **** is this? Because those stinking taillights use an 1157 male socket to connect them to the unit! No problem going back to stock because the bulb mount is the same...still you will have to use 1157 type bulbs instead of what should go in there...another reason to hate those taillights. Grrr....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah...I'm trying to figure out something though....I never paid much attention to how the stock housings actually illuminate. Do both bulbs glow on tail and brake filaments? I guess stock behavior is upper and lower running (parking) light, brake on bottom and blinkd for turn only on top for the bright filament? Yes??

See our harnesses only have a single filament on the top section because the job of the upper tail (parking) light is the job of the LED halo on top on the LED units we have which gets its power from the lower section. If that's the case, we will be stuck with taillight (parking) lights that only glow on the bottom. The upper section then would only blink on turning. Somehow, I don't think that is correct. Do you?

But yeah...1157 will work on the bottom. I am running that way right now with the LED light gutted and red plastic in front. I freakin duct taped the housing back together...it's classic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmmm....I am also making a stupid assumption too about the 1157. I don't have any freaking idea if that bulb will fit the stock housing....Crap. On the LED lights the bottom hole is larger than the top one....I'm looking at a picture of a stock one, and they appear the same size....grrrrr...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking closer. This is looking bad for the harness in our cars working in the stock units. Now Im really pissed off about this deal. Not only do I think they won't illuminate the housing correctly, I am feeling like the **** bulb socket won't even fit the stock housing....IT MAY be time to to call Scion and complain for real.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah...I'm trying to figure out something though....I never paid much attention to how the stock housings actually illuminate. Do both bulbs glow on tail and brake filaments? I guess stock behavior is upper and lower running (parking) light, brake on bottom and blinkd for turn only on top for the bright filament? Yes??]

I finally spotted a stock xB with it's lights on - only the lower half glows for parking lights. So it makes sense it would be single filament (upper) and Dual Filament (lower).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Jebus that's terrible. Raise some **** and hope they give you OEMs or something. Could be tough since you destroyed them though :)

"$360 for one side!!!" wow

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.