Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done a lot of research and finally found a setup that I think is fit, but since I'm new to this I think I'll ask for opinions from people who have done this before.

Amplifier
Subs x2
Enclosure
Wires

The amplifier is 870 RMS at 2 ohms and the speakers are 400 watts RMS each. From what I've read I shouldn't need a capacitor or upgraded alternator/battery or anything. But the amplifier is class AB so I don't know if that would change anything too much.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well, I was hoping others would step in, but I see there's been no activity :(! I didn't take this path, but I've worked with speakers before and so my question is whether the Pioneer drivers have a resonance frequency reasonably matched to the enclosure. I'd say it's best to be at least similar to the resonance of the drivers suggested in the advertisement (I'm presuming the enclosure is optimized for them). As for the amplifier, never heard of that brand before, but if you have good reason other than total price to select it, hopefully it'll be fine. Looks like your emphasis is bass over the rest of the audio range, which is cool. If not, then you may eventually revisit the door drivers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the resonance frequency just change what the size the box should be? Because the drivers are recommended 24.1 - 49.5 litres, which averages to 1.3 cubic feet, and the enclosure is 1.25 cubic feet per chamber.

I am on a budget, so price is a factor, but I did more research on that brand and it doesn't get all that great of reviews. Hifonics seems to be a decent budget brand and I found this which has all the right specs and features but also the reviews to back it up. Have you heard much about Hifonics?

& I bought my xB with the upgraded audio system which sounds great, so for now just some bass in the back to take stress off the other speakers would be nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry it seems that I haven't done all my research. 1.25 cubic feet given to each driver will make a Qtc of .9, and from what what I've read .9 seems good (but of course that's just from what I've read, don't really have experience).

·
Registered
781 Posts
Does the resonance frequency just change what the size the box should be? Because the drivers are recommended 24.1 - 49.5 litres, which averages to 1.3 cubic feet, and the enclosure is 1.25 cubic feet per chamber.

I am on a budget, so price is a factor, but I did more research on that brand and it doesn't get all that great of reviews. Hifonics seems to be a decent budget brand and I found this which has all the right specs and features but also the reviews to back it up. Have you heard much about Hifonics?

& I bought my xB with the upgraded audio system which sounds great, so for now just some bass in the back to take stress off the other speakers would be nice.
Sorry it seems that I haven't done all my research. 1.25 cubic feet given to each driver will make a Qtc of .9, and from what what I've read .9 seems good (but of course that's just from what I've read, don't really have experience).
Darn, I really wish others that went this route would jump in on your thread :(! I got your email and my experience and knowledge is specifically with home audio, however the principles are identical.

Basic idea is with a sealed enclosure (also termed infinite baffle) the driver must have a very relaxed cone surround (resulting in an especially low resonance frequency) and depends on the baffle (enclosure) for optimal acoustic suspension. If the combined suspension is too relaxed, then the driver will be sloppy. If too tight, then bottom end extension will be lost. Consequently, the best solution is where the enclosure and driver are designed to work together (or alternative drivers are selected that have similar suspension characteristics).

Driver quality definitely matters in providing accurate response, but so does the matching of driver to enclosure. I know nothing about Hifonics and they could be a gem, but that can't be assumed. From what you said, my best guess is to choose what appears to be a quality subwoofer that roughly conforms to the volume of your selected enclosure (recognizing that total volume in this case is divided between two drivers). Definitely evaluate reviews in making your choice (both driver and enclosure) and when making the final purchase, recognize there's an element of finger crossing involved :(!

PS. Regarding the amp, as I said, I know nothing of that brand, but seems to me if you carefully sift through owner reviews, you should be able to make a good choice -- try not to limit possibilities more than necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for your help, even though this isn't your specialty. You sharing what you do know helps a lot. After researching more and plugging values into calculators I feel more comfortable with the setup I'm gong to try. Of course this is my first time buying a setup like this so I won't mind if I have to change something later on. I'll double check everything and order it this weekend. I'll post how it goes once I get it set up :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I used Knuconceptz wires in my xB too and was very happy with the quality and price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.