Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious what the letter/number designation for the xB2 was . . .
So, I looked up info and compared to other models to gain understanding of what it meant.  (This was inspired by a recent discussion of the AE-86 and another on FJ40 and FJ55s.  I got wondering about the xB2.  Well anyways . . . )

Looking into the Rumion, I saw that it was E150N (and distinct from the E150, which is a higher-end, mechanically (edit-> wider and often bigger engined), Corolla model).  I found that interesting.
This is the Toyota internal designations and their significance is for Toyota models.

IF I am reading that right . . . it means . . .

E-> type designation for the class vehicle that the Corolla is, regardless of specific model name.  So, the xB2 IS a Corolla-class vehicle (like it or not)-> remember that the Rumion's full name is: Toyota Corolla Rumion

150-> model sequence w/in the E/Corolla line and heritage.  That is the upper-equipped relation to the normal 140 Corolla.  So, the E150N is a variation of the E150.
Edit: the 150 model range includes those for Australia/New Zealand and the Matrix sold in the US. The 150 is better able to handle higher power and so forth than the 140. (Based on further reading on what differentiates the 140 and 150).

Now, the last N is important and separated the E150N Rumion from the E150 sedan.  IF I am reading that correctly, that is the letter Toyota uses for it's small trucks . . .
So, that would mean that the N signifies a truck version of the 150 . . .

SO, that means the xB2 is:
A small truck variation of the higher end model of the 140/150 Corolla range.
The E150N
(Specific additional letters and numbers prefixed and suffixed additionally signify engine and other more specific equipping of the basic E150N.  Making the US version the AZE150*** (AZ for the 2AZ-FE engine) -and likely a 151, 152, or 152 instead of just a 150.  See the Japanese market models' designations listed under http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_Rumion )

Interesting!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For comparison . . .
Land Cruisers:
J-> model line designation- ALL Land Cruisers are Js.
BJ -> Used 4 cylinder "B-series" diesel engined Js
FJ -> originally signifying the F-series 6-cylinder gas engined Js

the J-## is the sequential generations of Js.  In the first number as the generation and the last meaning wheelbase length-> O is short and 5 is long.  As described here:
"Why is there no FJ50? The reason is because the final numeral digit in the Landcruiser designation denotes frame length.  Usually 0 for short, 3 for middle and 5 for long wheel base.  A short wheel model was never mass produced, hence there being no 50 series.  Only the long wheelbase 5 was ever mass produced, therefore all models are called the 55.  If it came equiped with an F petrol engine, it was called the FJ55.  Diesel engine models (if any existed) would have been called the BJ55.  Later models, such as the 60, 80, 90 and 100 series, would drop the short, long frame designation, since all models were of the same frame length.  Only the muliple varient 70 series would retain the frame denotation in the numerial designation."
http://www.brian894x4.com/LC50.html

Looking up info on FJs, I saw reference to N for small trucks, in contrast to the J. Plus, one site mentioned the "N" as also being used after the number to mean small truck versions of cars-> can't find that reference now and not sure is accurate (see above "IF").

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the more specific designation for the US model on: http://www.toyotareference.com/scionxb#XB

AZE151N

(That is an interesting site to get info on US market Toyotas. It is gravitated TO the US market, as the owner is a US-guy, Land Cruiser fan, and a poster on the IH8MUD.com site. That is where I found it, originally. I forgot he had chassis numbers, as well as brochures.)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What?

No reaction to the "Corolla Truck"/van comment?
-I expected one . . . (pro OR con)

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Firstly, I didn't see this until today. Secondly, I've been using "sport wagon" to describe the car anyway. Hubby called it a "van" when I got the '09 until I threatened to hurt him. Since I had a 4Runner, which was classified as a truck and I have more usable room in the xB, truck will work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.