Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month, I've been living with a buddy of mine in Columbus, Ohio. I'm originally from Houston, Tx and just kinda seeing what it's like to live up here. So I was originally supposed to leave back for Texas on March 20th. Today is March 20th and I'm still sitting in Columbus. 2 days ago, I left Columbus to make the 2hr drive to Cleveland because I wanted to see the Rock Hall of Fame before I left. Willie (on the forum) and I planned on meeting up at a restraunt for lunch, so as I was texting him that I'll be arriving soon, smoke shot out from under my hood, and I stalled out, coasting almost a quarter mile before coming to a complete stop. I get out, and see my hatch covered in oil. I pop my hood and check the oil: bone dry. I get under the car and see no oil drain plug. I'm flipping out, so I call Willie (who still lives an hour away from where I stalled) and he offered to bring me a new plug and oil. I tried getting a few parts stores within a 5 mile radius to bring me some supplies, but all of them failed to come through. I'm extremely disappointed in the fact they didn't help a stranded person so close by, instead they allowed me to continue drowning while I panicked. Willie brought me some supplies and I put the drain plug in, poured the oil in, and I got him to start the car. It ran hard and kept stalling out until we realized I was once again painting the highway with oil. Thinking I blew a head gasket, I rang almost 6 tow truck drivers before I got one out to pick my beloved box up. He says "where am I taking you?" I say "a mechanic shop, I'm from Texas and have no idea who's around here." He took me to a local shop, and charged me pennies on the dollar for the tow. The shop first verbally bashed the car before getting it up on the lift, then came to get me and Willie in the waiting area and put a bolt and a piece of metal in my hand. My heart sank, "well son, that there's a piece of your motor." I had a blown motor 1,700 miles away from home. After joking about finally doing my 2JZ swap, they called their engine guy up and found a new one with 45k miles for a fair price, and gave me a total quote for labor that I almost didn't believe because it was so cheap. Willie drove me back down alittle over halfway back to Columbus so my buddy could come pick me up. My car is supposed to be done late today or early tomorrow morning. It's funny because I joined this forum just over a year ago just to do crazy stuff to my car, but it ended up pulling me out when I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thanks Willie, it's guys like you that make this community worth being a part of.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd like to know more about how your engine just exploded. Was it a pressure issue or was the drain plug just not in properly?

I could also take this opportunity to express my overwhelming disdain for Ohio and try and talk some sense into you and say Texas is better but I feel like your probably past the point of no return especially after your previous stories.

Also, must get pics posted of the new engine :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The most probable cause of why it threw a rod was I did my oil change the day before. It was ice cold outside and I was working on gravel so I was trying to make it quick. I don't think I tightened the oil drain plug tight enough. Most of the time I tighten it with both hands whereas this time I just pulled as hard as I could with my left. Ironic how I've been doing oil changes for years to save myself money, and then it ends up the complete opposite direction.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the motor, but I'm glad it worked out.

Once, I didn't tighten the Miata oil plug tight and I saw the "floom" behind me on the interestate. I happened to right where I could pull off and coast into a part store. Oil was still draining out of the engine. I got a unversal plug, oil, and drove back home. I'm still on that engine over a decade later.

When it happens, it's scary. Then . . . you feel like an idiot for not tightening it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I once had a similar issue with the actual oil filter. When I removed the old filter the old rubber ring didn't come with it. When I put the new one on the rubber on rubber didn't seal and I filled a good chunk of driveway with fresh oil as soon as the motor started up. Took me a few seconds to figure out what was happening because I knew everything was on tight, but once I removed it I realized it. Since then I have always double checked the little rubber bits even though I doubt it will ever happen again. Paying close attention to your gauges helps in situations like this, once that oil light comes on it's time to kill it and figure out why asap. I rate it probably the highest warning light on the dash since I ignored it once and threw a rod.

For some reason the only cars I have ever had any actual issues out of were GM and Chrysler and I didn't want either of them, it may help if their engine bay layouts didn't suck and you could actually reach things... and their quality was decent.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TartanJack-exactly. I mean 2 more seconds and I could've avoided this is I took my time.

Isk-I would have to defend Chevy's built up to the 80's, they were so easy to work on and built extremely well. Other than that you're right about them sucking now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Isk-I would have to defend Chevy's built up to the 80's, they were so easy to work on and built extremely well. Other than that you're right about them sucking now.
I have a friend that will defend domestics to his death, I will grant that they used to be built so people could actually work on them (lights in the engine bay were nice). Now you have to tear down half the engine bay to get to anything. As for quality all I know is how often we have to pop any of his domestic hoods vs. any of my Jap cars. To be fair though we have had to crack into his scion a couple times for some minor tweaks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm glad I could help! I couldn't leave a fellow scion owner on the side of the road when they're 2000 miles from home. I would just hope someone would do the same for me! Lol. I'm glad we got it all figured out for you. I hope tims shop takes care of it, make sure you keep me updated! we definitely learned a very valuable lesson! Lol good luck getting back to Texas! And as the hicks in Mansfield say... Get rid of that fart can and dildo shifter on your skyon! Lmfao!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol "what kinda car is this? It ain't got no emblem in the front (walks to the back) oh it's a Skyon, what's this xB stand for on the side of the car?" "Xbox" lol "ay guys he gots a vibratin stick on his shifter" "flip that switch on the dash" "oh my Jesus guys, the footwells are lightin up blue now" hahaha those guys were awesome

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry about what happened Garry, I know how you feel I lost my much beloved WRX, car was driving like a champ, as soon as I got off my home exit car started to sound like coffee cans out of no where. No warning lights. Almost exclusively dealer serviced. Apparently I lost oil somewhere or blew turbo or something. Had a mechanic and Subaru look at it, I never got a why except it needed to be rebuilt. I loved that car but couldn't pump crazy $$ in a car with over 100K miles. Glad it's working out for you though. And awesome of Willie. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
oh man, what a tough situation to be in? glad you weren't without a fellow to help ya out.

Lol "what kinda car is this? It ain't got no emblem in the front (walks to the back) oh it's a Skyon, what's this xB stand for on the side of the car?" "Xbox" lol "ay guys he gots a vibratin stick on his shifter" "flip that switch on the dash" "oh my Jesus guys, the footwells are lightin up blue now" hahaha those guys were awesome

hilarious!

·
Registered
185 Posts
so did you make it there to pick the beast back up today?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol the xB can be described with many words, but beast is not one of them. I just picked it up about 2hrs with a fresh 2azfe under the hood and a massive dent in my savings.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
TEX-AS HERE WE COME!!!!
(Or at least Garry. . . . but I get the feeling he'd rather be in o-HI-o )

[-PS-> I have "interesting" ways to write every state-]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hahaha actually I won't be Texas bound until Monday morning. Motels are cheaper during the week and I still have to pack, so on so forth. Columbus is definitely a nice place to live, it'd be hard to decide if I'll be staying in Houston or returning to Ohio for sure. Northern winters are brutal though, and the north does murder to cars from what Ive seen hahaha

·
Registered
185 Posts
yea the road salt can kill a car in a few years here if you don't take care of it lol. But the winters are not all that bad. You get used to them real quick and you seem to handle the cold pretty well even coming from TEX-AS lol. But I drove my car lowered here all winter and no issues. And this year was a brutal year for us.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I wind up living in Ohio I'd be undercoating my entire car in a split second hahaha. I hate rust on something I take care of so much. Now I AM thinking about rat rodding my xB out, I have a plan, but just want to enjoy a nice shiny car while I can :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
rat rod would be cool. There's a few ppl tossing that idea around on here but I don't think anyone has actually done it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.