Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month, I've been living with a buddy of mine in Columbus, Ohio. I'm originally from Houston, Tx and just kinda seeing what it's like to live up here. So I was originally supposed to leave back for Texas on March 20th. Today is March 20th and I'm still sitting in Columbus. 2 days ago, I left Columbus to make the 2hr drive to Cleveland because I wanted to see the Rock Hall of Fame before I left. Willie (on the forum) and I planned on meeting up at a restraunt for lunch, so as I was texting him that I'll be arriving soon, smoke shot out from under my hood, and I stalled out, coasting almost a quarter mile before coming to a complete stop. I get out, and see my hatch covered in oil. I pop my hood and check the oil: bone dry. I get under the car and see no oil drain plug. I'm flipping out, so I call Willie (who still lives an hour away from where I stalled) and he offered to bring me a new plug and oil. I tried getting a few parts stores within a 5 mile radius to bring me some supplies, but all of them failed to come through. I'm extremely disappointed in the fact they didn't help a stranded person so close by, instead they allowed me to continue drowning while I panicked. Willie brought me some supplies and I put the drain plug in, poured the oil in, and I got him to start the car. It ran hard and kept stalling out until we realized I was once again painting the highway with oil. Thinking I blew a head gasket, I rang almost 6 tow truck drivers before I got one out to pick my beloved box up. He says "where am I taking you?" I say "a mechanic shop, I'm from Texas and have no idea who's around here." He took me to a local shop, and charged me pennies on the dollar for the tow. The shop first verbally bashed the car before getting it up on the lift, then came to get me and Willie in the waiting area and put a bolt and a piece of metal in my hand. My heart sank, "well son, that there's a piece of your motor." I had a blown motor 1,700 miles away from home. After joking about finally doing my 2JZ swap, they called their engine guy up and found a new one with 45k miles for a fair price, and gave me a total quote for labor that I almost didn't believe because it was so cheap. Willie drove me back down alittle over halfway back to Columbus so my buddy could come pick me up. My car is supposed to be done late today or early tomorrow morning. It's funny because I joined this forum just over a year ago just to do crazy stuff to my car, but it ended up pulling me out when I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thanks Willie, it's guys like you that make this community worth being a part of.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The most probable cause of why it threw a rod was I did my oil change the day before. It was ice cold outside and I was working on gravel so I was trying to make it quick. I don't think I tightened the oil drain plug tight enough. Most of the time I tighten it with both hands whereas this time I just pulled as hard as I could with my left. Ironic how I've been doing oil changes for years to save myself money, and then it ends up the complete opposite direction.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TartanJack-exactly. I mean 2 more seconds and I could've avoided this is I took my time.

Isk-I would have to defend Chevy's built up to the 80's, they were so easy to work on and built extremely well. Other than that you're right about them sucking now.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol "what kinda car is this? It ain't got no emblem in the front (walks to the back) oh it's a Skyon, what's this xB stand for on the side of the car?" "Xbox" lol "ay guys he gots a vibratin stick on his shifter" "flip that switch on the dash" "oh my Jesus guys, the footwells are lightin up blue now" hahaha those guys were awesome

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol the xB can be described with many words, but beast is not one of them. I just picked it up about 2hrs with a fresh 2azfe under the hood and a massive dent in my savings.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hahaha actually I won't be Texas bound until Monday morning. Motels are cheaper during the week and I still have to pack, so on so forth. Columbus is definitely a nice place to live, it'd be hard to decide if I'll be staying in Houston or returning to Ohio for sure. Northern winters are brutal though, and the north does murder to cars from what Ive seen hahaha

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I wind up living in Ohio I'd be undercoating my entire car in a split second hahaha. I hate rust on something I take care of so much. Now I AM thinking about rat rodding my xB out, I have a plan, but just want to enjoy a nice shiny car while I can :)

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
One guy gutted his B, painted it matte black and did a red rat interior and red rims. It's a pretty sick B, but I'd be going in a different direction. I'm noticing a ton of small and medium sized dents popping up and paint is chipping so idk when I'm going to do this, but I won't be repairing any of the dents, and I'm going to strip all the paint off then use beer and salt to rust the body to a certain extent, clear coat it, and get some mega wide black rims. Idk what I'd do with the interior but that's the basic idea for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.