Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haven't done much reading on this...but there is that Vehicle Stability Control button right by the driver's side door...

1. what does it do?
2. why or when would you want to turn it off?
3. does anyone ever use it?

just a thought...

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
The 2009 Owner's Manual, page 116, says: "The vehicle stability control system helps provide integrated control of the systems such as an anti-lock brake system, traction control, engine control, etc. This system automatically controls the brakes and engine to help prevent the vehicle from skidding when cornering on a slippery road surface or operating steering wheels abruptly." blah, blah, blah. Then, page 117, says: "If your wheels get stuck in a ditch when you are driving on a severe off road and sand, turn off the traction control system or vehicle stability control system. These systems control engine performance that interferes with the process of freeing your wheels." Since my last vehicle was a 4WD 4Runner, I understand what that means.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the opportunity to try this while in the sand and the xb didn't want to spin the tires. It just sat there, so I pressed the button and the sand began to fly. I was on a beach trying to pull the jetski out of the water. It never would have made it out without the traction control override.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i guess this would be helpful if you wanted to do a WICKED BURNOUT! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WhiteNoise said:
Or to keep me from doing a wicked burnout and save my expensive tires!
good call! ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
If I need to get out into traffic from a dead stop I turn it off it really helps get moven................... :rofl:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
As I don't notice an detailed answer . . .
VSC-> Vehicle Stability Control (should be BSC-> Box Stability Control)
The VSC is there to keep the box under control.If you are driving hard, it should light up a yellow bulb on your dash. It wants to keep you straight, so a sharp high-speed turn kicks it in.
If it beeps, you have pushed it to the very edge and the system is working to prevent the tail coming around on you.

The VSC automatically turns on when you start your box.

What it does is adjust braking and throttle to rebalance the box.
This is a VERY good thing, esp. on sudden mixed surface (leaves, dirt, or sand on road), hydroplaning, or other situations that try to make the vehicle to sudden strange and unfamiliar things.
If driving on a wet road, VSC can make the difference between controlled driving and spinning out your box completely (which could kill it).

So, why would you want to turn it of?

In certain situations, like on a sandy beach, dirty road, snow, etc., you need to wheels to slip and slide somewhat to keep moving. So, you can turn the VSC system off to keep you from getting completely stuck.
However, it is a good idea to turn it back on as soon as possible, for it is extremely beneficial in the vast majority of conditions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The nice thing about VSC is you don't have to think about it. I was just taking a hard u-turn against a long line of on-coming traffic, not even thinking about road conditions, when it "dinged". On the other side of the road I hit gravel and debris that accumulates on city roads and slid. With VSC the car kept me in the turn and I safely made u-turn. Without VSC I would have slid into the curb and probably been hit by the on-coming traffic (or at least had to change my pants :lol:).

So what have we learned - Don't turn off VSC unless you are stuck.

G

·
So with it off my car would no longer beep at me? And when I get into the car it goes to "On" always right? or is it still off if I left it on off when I turn the car off?

G

·
MidlifeCrisis said:
The nice thing about VSC is you don't have to think about it. I was just taking a hard u-turn against a long line of on-coming traffic, not even thinking about road conditions, when it "dinged". On the other side of the road I hit gravel and debris that accumulates on city roads and slid. With VSC the car kept me in the turn and I safely made u-turn. Without VSC I would have slid into the curb and probably been hit by the on-coming traffic (or at least had to change my pants :lol:).

So what have we learned - Don't turn off VSC unless you are stuck.
Or if you want to slide around on wide roadways? Not drifting but as much as would could drift in this type of car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wonder if you could by-pass it to be able to turn it on or off and have it stay that way? Its a drag when trying to merge from a stop only to have the traction control kick in and slow you down.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VSC...ANOTHER REASON TO LOVE YOUR BOX! 8)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The VSC shouldn't slow you down, unless the wheels are spinning when accelerating (like they would on snow or sand).

There isn't much reason to turn it off except in a few low-speed/loose ground situations or when stuck and a wheel is spinning.
Unless you are drifting . . .

(VSC is one of the contributing factors in my purchase of the xB.)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Its off if lit up on the dash.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.