Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Pioneer AVH-p4200dvd installed. It's way clean and I totally love this head unit already! Installed w/ the parking brake bypass so I can play dvd's while driving for my passengers on those long road trips! And for me too, lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow the Kenwood 7180 I mentioned above has gotten some really bad reviews. Does this Pioneer one have XM, Navi or bluetooth? If not, how much does it cost to add all those, other than a subscription to XM?

·
Registered
159 Posts
that pioneer doesnt come with it, but you can add it on. the navi alone is in the 400 range. do you have an iphone? the reason i ask is because pioneer has just come out with a unit thats $399 with everything working off your iphone. its basically a big screen for the iphone. it uses the apps, google maps, etc. instead of a radio tuner you would use like pandora or i heart radio. for the price its a really good unit. if you wanted something that had everything you want already installed in it, you're looking at the 1900-2100 range. (for pioneer) clarion has units that are of the same caliber for a LOT less. its all about preference. there are some things about the clarion that are better than the pioneer, its maps are better and has more points of interest. the one that he got is a great unit, just doesnt come with the navi, or sat radio. it does come with bluetooth. the steering wheel controls the link you gave is actually cheaper than i get it for, i get them for like 60, but thats nothing new, car audio is so diluted on the internet its hard to keep competitive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This Valor 868W looks promising. I first saw it on Crutchfield (for $100 more of course) and it's a new model with built in bluetooth, navi and the steering wheel control interface (so nothing else to buy) but I don't see anything about satellite radio. How can it be so difficult for mfgs to understand that people want navi, bluetooth, satellite, steering wheel, and the ability to enter in data while moving, all in the same unit?

NEW VALOR DDN-868W 5.8" TFT-LCD NAV/DVD/CD/MP3 PLAYER | eBay

·
Registered
159 Posts
i wouldnt go with a valor unit. they arent of the best quality. im not trying to bash another company, they just arent the best. the reason that they dont put it in the systems originally is that it can cost more and make them more money to sell all the adapters separately. think about it, selling the radio for 400 and the navi for another 400, the sat radio for another 200, the HD radio for another 200 makes them more than selling the entire radio with everything for 1k. thats why getting the top of the line unit is sometimes the better bet than trying to find a deal. i have dual units and the clarion units that have everything for less, and they are good units. if you want that valor unit, i have them too.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
i bought a used Avic D3 a year and a half ago used off of ebay for 350. BT, NAV, ipod, bypassed video and remote... has worked great! i love the look of the OPs unit!

i dont see where the Valor unit comes with the SWI.

·
Registered
159 Posts
its something you would have to add, i dont see how it could come with it since thats something thats car specific most of the time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It comes with SWI - read this review and the item's description on eBay and at Amazon:
Valor Multimedia Intros New Double Din DDN-868W | 12 Volt News

and their specs on their website:
http://www.valormultimedia.com/Product/2DINNavigationAM_FM_DVD62%27%27TouchScreenMonit-256.html

I talked to Valor and they said they also make an 888W model that has a detachable face that works as a GPS on its own. They told me the reason they don't have sat in these units is that the fees they have to pay XM and such would drive the price up too much.

I'd also be curious as to what makes you say their quality is not that good. These have only been out a few months this year. Have you installed them and seen these two models are inferior in some way? I always get skeptical when items that have less profit margin for the dealer are talked down.

·
Registered
200 Posts
how much?

·
Registered
159 Posts
ive installed a few and have seen where the audio goes out, either in the pre outs or the internal amp. also to me the fit and finish and the screen layouts look a little "cheaper" for a lack of a better word i guess than thier competition. however this was a couple years ago and they may have changed up thier game since, which im sure they have since they said that they performed some business changes in 2010 and 2011. like i said, i dont want to bash a manufacturer that i carry, especially when they are a brand that is relatively new to the game and have to get a name out, much like i am doing.
I always get skeptical when items that have less profit margin for the dealer are talked down.
there is actually more profit margin in these units than in others. the clarion and pioneer units there is very little margin compared to these, thats why on that 12Vnews article it says that its one of the more profitable lines. i care more about getting people what is best suited for thier needs than making a buck. i just want to help you make an informed decision. think about it, the things that the manufacturers put on thier sites and what they tell you are thier to generate business, so they arent going to put any drawbacks at all. and they are absolutely right about not offering the other things (sat radio) in thier units. to keep the margin down on the radios they dont offer it, they offer the add ons. you cant have the add ons without the radio, so they make the radio inexpensive, but add the draw to want the other equipment because you need both to make it work. the 888 i believe isnt available yet, at least through none of my distributors and i dont see a price on thier site. as far as user-friendliness and features, they have a bunch more than the competition, and for somewhat a lower price. my cost on that 888 is over 700, so think about the retail on it. the 868 i can do for 500. so take everything you read into consideration, and take into accout the fact that the last time i dealt with valor equipment was a couple years back, and they may have stepped up thier game and changed things. but if you want the 868 i will do whatever i can to match someone elses prices.

·
Registered
200 Posts
its like 353 i think on amazon.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I appreciate the info and the price offer. Let me know if you install one and how it looks to you and works out for the new owner, if you do. I don't necessarily want to be the first guinea pig to throw his hat in the ring on one of these, but I am definitely tempted cause I want to have both bluetooth phone and music streaming options, have a great built in navi and a visible slot for the DVD or CDs. I've never been a big fan of a moving screen set up.
:cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
ok well thats fair enough. if there is something else i can help you with or that you are looking for lmk. do your research and make an informed decision, i may be able to get things for cheaper. ill let you know if i install one and how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.