Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the karma today (yes, it took me that long) and see that very few people have any.

And then I saw the {applaud} or {smite} links under a users icon and tried clicking on it, and on that user's avatar, I now see a karma rating of 1 :)

So what do you think? What is the point in getting karma?

How about all giving each other good (or bad for that matter) karma, depending on what you feel about a user's post, and see where it leads?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yanges said:
i was giving good karma for a while but noticed not many others were so had stopped - will keep an eye on that from now on :yes:
LOL, ROFL.. etc. you get the picture :)

Thanks yanges :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I am on one other forum that does this and it works pretty well. Most people on there like to give good karma. Very rarely does anyone smite anyone unless there is a deserving reason. Although at one point in time they had to mod the karma thing. There were some people that were intentionally giving negative karma just to drop someone down just for the hell of it. They implemented a mod where you had to type in your reason for the good and bad karma, that way if someone felt they were being unfairly smited it could be over turned if the reason was not valid. While Karma is just a fun thing to do online sometimes it can actually effect how others view someone on the board.

Although apparently someone on here doesn't like me, because I had 1 Karma and now I have none. Don't know who I upset but it definatly wasn't on purpose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
smite me O' mighty smiter...........

you said smite, that word rules.

I was kind of checking that out and thinking about giving a couple guys on here huge karma. Most people here are positive and helpful but there are a few that really kick in lots of advice.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
draginknee said:
smite me O' mighty smiter...........

you said smite, that word rules.

I was kind of checking that out and thinking about giving a couple guys on here huge karma. Most people here are positive and helpful but there are a few that really kick in lots of advice.
give and you shall receive :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
You think smite is awsome. The other forum was starwars based so you gave good and bad force. Some people liked negative force because it made them part of the Sith.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There's something similar to this on another forum that I'm on except it displays it in this format 28/-5. Showing how many positives and how many negatives rather than just a running balance.

Also, if you clicked on someone's karma you could see who had left karma and why as in order to leave karma you had to give a reason. I REALLY liked that part of it... is there any way we can add something like that Eric?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I second that motion. That way if its a valid complaint for negative we can know what kinds of things we say/do that upsets people. Cause I know I have the tendancy to do that by accident.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I would love to see somthing different for karma but can't think of anything good that would be relavent to this sight.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric said:
I haven't seen anything like that available for this forum script, but I'll look into it :)

In the admin section I can change "Karma," "applaud" and "smite" to other labels if there's something that would be a better fit for the site. Opinions/suggestions?
I kinda like the applaud and smite labels...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
boblamb58 said:
Eric said:
I haven't seen anything like that available for this forum script, but I'll look into it :)

In the admin section I can change "Karma," "applaud" and "smite" to other labels if there's something that would be a better fit for the site. Opinions/suggestions?
I kinda like the applaud and smite labels...
i have not had much reason to smite anyone myself, let us hope it continues like this :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yanges said:
i have not had much reason to smite anyone myself, let us hope it continues like this :yes:
Same here. I think we got a reall nice bunch of folks on here (so far, at least until the !#%&! spammers show up.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
On another board there was an ability to see who gave the karma to me. Is that available here? I've searched everywhere I know how.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't think so. I've been to boards where you can add to a persons rep and leave a little note. You can see who left that for you tho.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have to agree with what was said about it having you looked at differently on the board by others. If you have lots of karma then people will look at you favorably, if you have minus karma then people might not look at you so favorably. I haven’t seen that here but I agree it could be that way.

I also agree that there are really good people on this board who are all here to help there fellow xB2 owners. That is one reason I enjoy this forum so much. I have learned allot and have hopefully helped some people along the way. I am looking forward to that continuing.

That being said, I also must say there are times I didn’t agree with something and didn’t say anything on the forum for fear that I would be smited. So I guess what I would say about the karma/smite thing is it is too easy to leave them. For instance everyone likes to get karma or praise so as it builds it is an exciting thing. But when you get smited you don’t know why, maybe it was because of something that is really kind of silly. Having the ability to require a reason for leaving those is a very good idea. I know Eric is going to look into that and maybe there is no way to do it, which is why we are all on the honor system here with it.

I hope that post made sense. Sometimes when I get going I just type and don’t proof read.....LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts