Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just purchased 2008 xB that was traded in to a GM dealer. Came with only one pretty beat-up key. No spares were available. Some idiot brought only one key in when traded the car (and no service manuals either!). I called the dealer yesterday about getting a spare - was told it would be in the neighborhood of $400 to get a spare key cut.

I did see you can get online key blanks for ~$125-$150, not programmed of course. Has anyone done this and who do you recommend do the key programming other than dealer? I will call them to see if they would program a key I bring in. Many posts also say to take it to a locksmith... I'll call tomorrow to check if this is possible here in southern Ohio. Anyone there has any experience with this?

Also, there were blanks without the remote for $12-$15. Can these be programmed to start the car? I just need a spare in case we lock ourselves out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Before I would have bought the car, I would have insisted that the dealer supply the key and the manuals. I would have walked away from the deal if they said they couldn't do it. To me that's like buying the car and only having three wheels and the dealer saying you have to buy the fourth. If they want to sell the car they will supply the key and the manuals also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gr8scape said:
Before I would have bought the car, I would have insisted that the dealer supply the key and the manuals. I would have walked away from the deal if they said they couldn't do it. To me that's like buying the car and only having three wheels and the dealer saying you have to buy the fourth. If they want to sell the car they will supply the key and the manuals also.
Thanks gr8scape. Yes, I know what you are saying. I had the same thinking. However, we really got it at a great price, and I mean GREAT! That's why I took it without extra keys or manuals!

BTW, In the process I learned that ALL dealers are FIXING PRICES for used cars. No question in my mind. We had a limited budget and did not want to spend more. Over the six month period we were looking at the car, we visited 3 dealers (used car) and got a "lowest price" quote from all 3 which were within $12 (that's twelve dollars) from one another - I kid you not. ($13.2K being the highest $13,188 the lowest.) All of them were saying "that's what we have in the car" - Yeah, right. If you run a carfax you can see the cars moved from city to city as dealers buy and sell cars at "dealer auctions", and there is no way they will sell it to you without making a profit.

That said, even if I spend $400 for a new key, I am still way below what I paid for the car - and it's in a great shape, alloy wheels, new tires, all new fluids... just minus the key. Manuals were $30 from toyota with shipping (with a nice documents pouch, which I really did not HAVE to purchase, otherwise $15.)

I just don't want to pay them when I know they are ripping us off. I guess, it's a matter of principle. I'd rather give $$ to Red Cross or UNICEF.

Thanks again for your reply!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Just my two cents...you can find out all your need about fixing anything here. One of our wonderful members has downloaded all the files you would every want to see. I recently downloaded files, so hubby can install my new speakers...this site rocks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same problem, buying my XB used with only one key. The blanks without a remote are a common key and you could find them at almost any hareware store 10-15$ and will work just fine as lock out key and start the car no problem. As for the blank keys with remotes, I have seen them on ebay for 40 to 80 $ , but they all state you will have to go to dealership to have them programed, not sure what a dealership would charge if you brought your own blank though. I pray to god I don't lose the one key have. As for the dealership that wants 400.00 don't go there for anything else, they sound like a big time rip off (wihich a good number of Toyota dealships seem to be). I would hope someone out there would know the trick to programming the remote keys and share it here.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Programming the remote, from Scionlife.com...

Not sure if you need to be logged on to view, but registration is free.

http://scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125613&highlight=xB+remote+programming

er, no.. still looking, this is for something else...

OK, found this advice in a post...
Also the alarm and key programing I believe is the same as most other newer toyota/scions. I found directions on toyotanation with step by step directions on how to program a new key and erase old keys from its memory. Its late and I've had one to many vodka redbulls to find it right now, but it just popped up on gogle when I found it. G'luck ad hope some dumb dealership doesnt try to bend ya over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your posts! This is a little confusing for me, so here is another question:

Does 2008 xB have an immobilizer in the key? That is, if I order a blank key from ebay, or get one from the hardware store, a simple one without the remote (like old car keys used to be), can I just get it cut at the said hardware store and it would just work without some kind of programming?

When we talk here about programming the key with the remote door/panic buttons, are we programming it to operate the doors remotely AND start the car (because of the chip in it) OR just to open the doors...?? Are there 2 steps to this (doors and immobilizer) or is there no immobilizer and we are programming the door lock/unlock function only?

Thanks! I will call a different dealer and a locksmith tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sweet link. Thanks
I also noticed a ebay listing where the seller state. "Free coding instructions are provided upon request for this remote". So one would only have to pay to have the key cut 1 to 3 $ and program themselves which is awsome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rollaball said:
The key does not have a immobilizer or chip if you will. I got two keys cut Ace Harware for mine. Of course no Remote though.
Thanks! That's awesome news! As long as we can have a spare key, Ace Hardware it is! As for the remote, I will contact the ebay store that sells the one with the remote. If they are really giving instructions for remote programming, then the problem solved for that one too! I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol:
I just tried the hoky-poky with the key I have (from the link posted above - see below), to see how many remotes are registered with the car (as I only have one), AND IT WORKS!! Thus, I will be ordering a key from ebay, get it cut at the hardware store, and program it my self. Therefore gen 1 xB instructions work for gen 2!

Note, when it says "turn the key on-off" do not go all the way to "lock" but between "accessory" and "on" ("off" means "accessory".)

Cool stuff!
==========
Here are the directions:

Programming the xB keyless entry system
Here are the procedures to manipulate the remote door lock system. As you can see they are hardly difficult programming exercises. Any competent mechanic should be able to do it in 20 minutes including time for paperwork, coffee, sharing a dirty joke with the next guy, and a cigarette break. Competence, in this case, means the ability to read and follow instructions, not even knowing anything about cars.

As with anything, try these at your own risk. If you accidently reprogram your engine to produce 200HP don't blame me!

There are four different modes you can use to program remote door lock functions.

Confirmation mode allows you to check the number of transmitters recorded.
Add mode allows you to add a transmitter without disturbing existing transmitters.
Rewrite mode allows you to replace all existing transmitters with new ones.
Prohibition mode erases all transmitters and turns off the remote door lock function.

Confirmation mode. To check for the number of remotes programmed into the car:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
3. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
4. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF three times, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.
6. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves at about 2 second intervals. The number of times that the doors lock is the number of remotes that are programmed into the car. If the car locks/unlocks 5 times, there are no codes registered.

Add mode. To add a remote without disturbing existing remotes:

3. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
4. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once.

7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
8. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once if the registration was successful. They will lock and unlock twice if the registration failed.

9. If you have other remotes to program, go back to step 7 within 40 seconds.
10. Insert the key in the ignition or open a door to complete registration.

Rewrite mode: To erase all remotes and add new ones:

5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF twice, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves twice, indicating that you are in rewrite mode.

7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once if the registration was successful. They will lock and unlock twice if the registration failed.

Prohibition mode: To erase all codes and disable wireless door lock function:

5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF five times, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves 5 times at about 1 second intervals.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The continuation of the above instructions are:

Put your left foot in, put your left foot out, Put your right foot in and shake it all about.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D Just got a regular key (all-metal - no electronics) cut at the lock-smith down the street. He said "won't work", I said, "yes it will, cut it anyway".

$2.98 with tax!

It works, starts the car, locks and unlocks doors. Just ordered off of ebay 1 key with remote ($54.74 including shipping from the seller "888remotes"), I'll get it cut at the same place, a little elegant door/ignition hocky-poky, and voila! BTW, the seller sent me remote lock programming directions, and are the same as the one's posted earlier. I am really glad this car does not have the immobilizer chip!

Thanks everyone for your posts and replies! The question has been answered! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: remote key arrived Saturday... Locksmith down the street cut it, I programmed it and it works fine! So, new key can cost you under $3 for regular metal key, or $55 from ebay. No need to give your hard-earned $$ to a dealer. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what I found to reprogram the 2nd generation xb keys

I HAVEN'T TRIED THIS OUT YET BUT I FOUND THIS POST THAT SOMEONE HAD, LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS BECAUSE I'M ORDERING A KEY IN THE NEAR FUTURE.....

Here are the procedures to manipulate the remote door lock system. As you can see they are hardly difficult programming exercises. Any competent mechanic should be able to do it in 20 minutes including time for paperwork, coffee, sharing a dirty joke with the next guy, and a cigarette break. Competence, in this case, means the ability to read and follow instructions, not even knowing anything about cars.

As with anything, try these at your own risk. If you accidently reprogram your engine to produce 200HP don't blame me!

There are four different modes you can use to program remote door lock functions.

Confirmation mode allows you to check the number of transmitters recorded.
Add mode allows you to add a transmitter without disturbing existing transmitters.
Rewrite mode allows you to replace all existing transmitters with new ones.
Prohibition mode erases all transmitters and turns off the remote door lock function.

Confirmation mode. To check for the number of remotes programmed into the car:

5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF three times, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves at about 2 second intervals. The number of times that the doors lock is the number of remotes that are programmed into the car. If the car locks/unlocks 5 times, there are no codes registered.

Add mode. To add a remote without disturbing existing remotes:

5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once.

Rewrite mode: To erase all remotes and add new ones:

5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF twice, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves twice, indicating that you are in rewrite mode.

Prohibition mode: To erase all codes and disable wireless door lock function:

5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF five times, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves 5 times at about 1 second intervals.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
That's what a tazer is for . . .

(hehehehehehehe)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.