Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

New to the forum. Just bought my 2012 xB and want to upgrade my sound. I really like the JL stealth box but have read some good reviews on this kicker powered sub KICKER | Hideaway Powered Subwoofer

I would probably put the kicker under the passenger seat.

Has anyone heard or used this kicker sub?

I know the JL will sound great! But the kicker is half the price...,

Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't like the fact that it cuts the bass at 25 Hz, that's still in the audible range of hearing. That said if you're hooking it to a stock radio you won't notice as the stock system rolls off the bass starting at 40 Hz. If you are just looking to add some bass to the stock system then I think this is a decent piece to use. If you plan on upgrading the system more over time then this is not what you want because it is limited in power and what can be done with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My buddy has the bass link in the back of his Mitsubishi lancer and it seems ok. I just need something really compact. I would put this under the passenger seat or do the JL stealth. I'm ok with the stock HU..... I'm not liking the call button on the bottom left?!?!? Lol. But it works well...

Do you think the JL stealth box is worth 2X the kicker hideaway? I don't listen to crazy bass. But I do love to pump up my D12 and emenem from time to time......

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Wow the BassLink is massive. No way it's gonna fit under the front passenger seat.

Another option is to build your own subwoofer box and push it with an external amp. Chances are your stock headunit has subwoofer out jacks. A number of us on this forum have installed a single 8" subwoofer under the passenger seat, at least a couple of people have put a single 10" subwoofer, and one person did dual subwoofers (one under the driver and one under the passenger seat).
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/6---stealth-sub
The end result would cost less than $299. Depending on your amp, you may even be able to do it for less than $199. I got my amp used so spent only $120 total.

First, I'd suggest replacing all four door speakers with good quality component speakers, and on the rear doors, mount the separate tweeter up high on the door. This will dramatically improve the sound and after you do this you may find you don't need the subwoofer.
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/2011-scion-xb-1st-month (scroll down to see the rear door tweeters)
https://sites.google.com/site/brick...scion-xb-1st-month/01d---rear-speakers-detail
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/17---front-speakers-upgrade
Have fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't know if I could do the components in the rear doors? My kids would rip the tweeters out...... Lol. So I'll get some speakers ordered up for the doors and look into a sub after the install is complete. Thanks for your input everyone!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you don't want to get too crazy, and you really want to save space, you might be able to find the OEM Bazooka powered sub that goes in the passenger side of the cargo space. I think they run about $200.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I like those bazooka subs!

I think I'll keep searching for that....

Can anyone confirm that once you hook that sub into the harness, it changes the front speakers from full range to mids?
I read somewhere that it eliminate the bass out of the front speakers.....

That could change what speakers are required for the front.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I doubt it does. Normally Bazooka products just tap off the speaker wires for signal and nothing else. The advantage is that you will be able to turn the bass control down to get the bass response you want which in effect does limit the bass going to the front speakers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.