Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still a week & a half from taking delivery, but I really am not into steelies. So I want a nice lightweight wheel with understated styling and some grippy tires. I already know I will ride on Yokohama S-Drive tires- they have served me well on autocross tracks & the Tail of the Dragon. But I am not 100% certain about wheels.

As I said, I want understated. Simple design. I can't imagine any colored wheels looking good on Blackberry Crush, so I figure on silver painted, or chrome. And when I sort the wheels on Tire Rack by weight, the best deal is on these:

Kosei K1 TS. 13.7 pounds, and only $149 each for the 17x7's. My biggest concern is that the offset is a positive 50mm, which will push the wheel a little further under the car than stock. I just want to be certain that they won't be rubbing on any suspension components. Anyone have firsthand experience & can offer advice?

Also willing to listen to opinions as to other wheel options, or opinions on the appearance of this choice.

thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also thought I would post this link. The tire size chart that's posted here is a very good resource. But for a quick & dirty comparison of "before & after" tire & wheel size changes, THIS LINK rocks.

Might even be worth adding to the post/thread with the size chart, but I'll not be so bold since I have only been around here for a few days.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Miata.net is a great model of a well planned site. Gary did an excellent job on it.
(I was a member there for years, mostly posting under the Miotus name, but also using "Lotus-Head.")

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I am a dork. They have 3 offsets. It's only the 36mm offset that's on sale for $149. They also have 42 & 50mm offsets at full price of $196.

If I go for the 36mm offset, I guess my concern would be fender rubbing. But only running 17's, and without any drop (yet), I would think I'd be OK. Since I am sure I'll put stiifer springs on later, and that always means some drop, maybe the 42 would be best, even if the price is higher.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Don't even sweat a 36mm offset. I am running a 25mm offset on 18's and have no problems. Only issue I hav is that I can't run more then an 1" drop or I will have fender issues. As it sits now a 25mm offset puts the outer rim lip perfectly in line with my fender edge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, Eviljack. Good to know. Saving $200 on a set of wheels is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't want to drop it more than an inch or so anyhow, as I'm not particularly into the slammed/lowrider look. (Never mind all the farkin' speedhumps & bumps around these days)

If 25 lines up right with the fender, then 36 should stay inside & pull the inner edge away from any possible suspension interference as well. w00t!

·
Registered
141 Posts
these are my new mb7 17s on blackberry At least it will give Ya a good idea of the color match. they are the silver painted alloys not chrome so....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rswscion08 said:
these are my new mb7 17s on blackberry At least it will give Ya a good idea of the color match. they are the silver painted alloys not chrome so....
Yep, I figured a neutral silver would be fine. Maybe not as cool/custom looking as if I chose to get a set painted to match, or chose a contrasting color, etc., but I'm going for understated, so w00t.

I have to ask, too--- is that stock ride height, or lowered? If lowered, what flavor? Because the wheel well/tire gap looks perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.