Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a set of asa em9 that have been sitting around in my garage for almost 2 yrs. they have only been only on my xB once for about 20 mi. the problem i'm having is on one of them leaking around the valve stem hole. i've tightening the tpm stem, tried a standard rubber valve stem, and an oversize rubber stem.

is there anyway i can fix this problem? or am i looking at scrap metal? i would like to salvage this set of classic rims.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have a set of asa em9 that have been sitting around in my garage for almost 2 yrs. they have only been only on my xB once for about 20 mi. the problem i'm having is on one of them leaking around the valve stem hole. i've tightening the tpm stem, tried a standard rubber valve stem, and an oversize rubber stem.

is there anyway i can fix this problem? or am i looking at scrap metal? i would like to salvage this set of classic rims.
Kinda hard to diagnose without seeing in person. Corrosion? Cracked? A burr in the hole? All suspects if anything you put in leaks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will try to upload some pics that might shown something. let me know if you see anything unusual.

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
i will try to upload some pics that might shown something. let me know if you see anything unusual.
The pic's are really good. The third pic shows some rust around the stem hole.Maybe trying to clean up with some med grade sand paper,then some clear coat (clear silicone ATV) might help get a good surface for air not to leak,OR, you could try what service guys do. They mount a tire with valve stem, apply air, and put the wheel in a tub of water to see where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The pic's are really good. The third pic shows some rust around the stem hole.Maybe trying to clean up with some med grade sand paper,then some clear coat (clear silicone RTV) might help get a good surface for air not to leak,OR, you could try what service guys do. They mount a tire with valve stem, apply air, and put the wheel in a tub of water to see where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
102 Posts
there's a scratch there that might cause a problem, but the hole itself seems clean (enough). In those cases I usually just put some bead sealer or this black/blue goop we have to seal bobcat tires (but we use it on everything). I've never had one leak after doing either of those things.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have some hondabond ht. you think i could use that to seal it? i was planning on programming another set of tpm sensors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.