Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've actually tried (too) MANY LEDs in my 2009 xB. If you're looking for the BRIGHTEST options, here's what I would recommend:

Map lights:
T10 3024 Bulb Wedge Car 24-LED SMD White Light New free shipping | eBay
This 24-SMD bulb is the brightest one that will fit inside the map light. Big improvement over stock

Dome Light:
Light Panel 48 SMD LED+T10+BA9S+Festoon Bulb Adapter | eBay
This is a 48 SMD panel. There are several types of SMD panels out there, but this one (with the smallest SMD chips) is the brightest one and has the best coloration. HUGE uograde in brightness.

The only thing about ordering anything from vendors in China is sometimes you may have to wait awhile for shipping. But I got shipments from these vendors pretty quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I tried a 24 LED type 5050 LED panel and it was way too bright, I replaced it with a 12 LED type 5050 LED panel and it's still quite bright. I like the "white" or "pure white" LEDs, not the "warm white".

Do a search on eBay for "12 LED panel 5050 festoon" and buy from someone with a lot of positive feedback. A panel with a festoon adaptor can be had for less than $3, shipping included.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
whats up brickpig , did you have to do any mods to use those leds in your xb ? like for your door lock relay . I have a 2012 xb .
Hi cuznaka and welcome to the forum.

For the puddle and footwell lights, no electrical mods needed except to tap the new lights into the correct dome light wires, then run the wiring and mount the lights. I did install a new switch so I can cut power to the new lights when I want to (which is rare).

For the door mounted courtesy lights, I ran wire to each door switch. In this case, I also isolated my new wiring using diodes. Not sure if I needed to do that, but was being cautious. Note that running wires into the rear doors is a royal pain due to the frame-mounted electrical connecter. You have been warned...

I'm using type 3528 LEDs to keep the current draw low. Also I replaced the dome and trunk light bulbs with LEDs so that reduces the electrical load on the dome light circuit.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Im just doing the map lights & dome lights are 12 panel , & rear hatch is 6 panel lights , am I ok with no other mods ?
Yup that will be fine. Replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs will actually draw less current.

Your dome and rear hatch lights use festoon bulbs, so get your LED panels with festoon adapters. Search on eBay for "LED panel white festoon".

The map lights use T10 style bulbs so get LED bulbs that will fit a T10 socket. Search on eBay for "t10 white LED"

Type 5050 LEDs are brighter than type 3528 LEDs but also draw more power and cost a bit more. I have a 12 LED type 5050 panel in my dome light and it's almost too bright.

Don't worry, a small LED array will still draw less power than the incandescent bulb it replaces. Remember LEDs have polarity so if it doesn't work at first, just pull it out and insert it the other way.

Have fun!

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you want the brightest LEDs for your domelight and map lights period: get the 2w wedge based bulbs from V-LEDs for your map lights. these little guys look small but i kid you not they pack a powerful punch. its almost hard to look at your map lights when you first put them in but you get used to the brightness. 6K WHITE 4 LED 2W HIGH POWER BULBS 194 168 158 | 1 PAIR

as for the dome light i went with the 6K WHITE 6W 12 LED HIGH POWER PANEL LIGHT. 6K WHITE 6W 12 LED HIGH POWER PANEL LIGHT 194 921 3175 211

i have yet to experience more pure white light output from something else. these are the brightest LEDs you can get that ive come across. to give you an idea i had some pics taken of my interior at night time... and the only light source was my dome lights. no flash on the camera and no touch-ups on the photo:

i HIGHLY encourage you try out the V-LEDs lights. and if you decide to go with V-LEDs just mention in your order comment that Justin Polachek Referred you. that would be awesome of you man and id greatly appreciate it. :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I first tried a 24 LED panel in the dome light and felt it was too bright, especially at night. I then got a 12 LED panel for the dome light and even that is almost too bright.

Everyone will have their own opinions, needs, and wants. Some people even go all blue LEDs inside.

You may want to go slow, a bulb or two at a time, to gain experience and get a feel for what look you are achieving.

Still, LEDs are not expensive (compared to some other mods). Have fun!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I installed a dome cargo light. I found it at the local auto store ( Salvo's). It is made by Peterson 5 1/2"x 3" led array part # V366 ($21.99). I mounted it in the headliner (centered) just to the rear of the roof cross brace,ran the extended wire down to the switch attached to a festoon adapter and put in the socket. It now looks more like the front dome light and really puts out a nice light pattern.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.