Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing the bulbs w/ LED's, the load resistors to fool the ECU seem to be quite big (50 watts) for the stop lamps and 25 watts for the tails/turns. My question is, why are they so big when the LED's are rated to draw only milliamps? Also, which ones are closer to the OEM's in output?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those of you looking at doing this, just go on ebay and buy the LED Flasher Relay (Toyota 8 pin, I believe).

Swap it for your stock relay, and you can put in the LED's that you want without issues.
That'll work for the directionals,but for the brake lites,you'll still need the resistors.If the CPU doesn't see the resistance,the cruise control won't work.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rear LED's

So far, I've replaced the front running lights with LED's and an electronic flasher and have no problems. Now, I want to replace the rear brake/tail lights but I have gotten confused about which circuits need load resistors. I know that the brake lights need one, but what about the tail lights? I have tried to ask those at V-LEDs, and all they say is that the turns and brakes need the loads,but do not mention the tails. When ordering resistors, I don't want to get too many. Are these included in the CPU logic that causes a light on the dash to signal a burn out? Any thoughts?
Thanks, Dale

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far, I've replaced the front running lights with LED's and an electronic flasher and have no problems. Now, I want to replace the rear brake/tail lights but I have gotten confused about which circuits need load resistors. I know that the brake lights need one, but what about the tail lights? I have tried to ask those at V-LEDs, and all they say is that the turns and brakes need the loads,but do not mention the tails. When ordering resistors, I don't want to get too many. Are these included in the CPU logic that causes a light on the dash to signal a burn out? Any thoughts?
Thanks, Dale
Update- Put the rear LED turn lights in (already installed the electronic flasher for the fronts),and found that no light-ups appearing on the dash. All is working well. I ordered the rear brake/tail lights today from Superbrights and ordered the load resistors from V-leds. I'm planning to install this weekend.I have to find a place to put the resistors on-most likely near the light assemblies, maybe remove some panels to install them in the harness areas. Resistors mounted on plates=$17.48 shipped (the plates should help remove any heat created).Lights=$38.89 shipped. Should be here Wed. or Thurs.
Next project-glove box light! IT NEVER ENDS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.