Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taken from the book of calvin.
After seeing his rs 8 in his side skirts I thought I could do similar else where.

I chose the plastic covering for the third brake light so it shines out when I open the hatch. It just pulls off, there is 4 clips behind it and then just pull out the third brake, light and you can unplug it as well.
I couldn't find a stencil so I made my own with some thick thick paper. Stenciled on the letters.

I used a drill, a dremel, and a hobby knife to carefully cut them out.
Unfortunately a couple scuffs and accidents with the first attempt with the knife made a few mistakes on the plastic.

I sanded the inside of the letters with a nail file and then sand paper and my fingers.
then sanded the whole piece, primed (with plastic primer), painted and clear coated.

I had a few oznium leds laying around so I drilled small holes behind the plastic into the hatch next to the holes for the clips and ran the wires through the rubber plug down to the cargo light on the side, positive to pink wire and negative to green. Now they turn on when the hatch opens and off when it closes.

Im thinking about ordering some panel led's rather than singles to make the light more uniform. As well, during the day they are not bright enough to even really notice :/

pictures of how it looks at the moment coming tomorrow.

Again, credit goes to evilcalvin's sideskirts!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its really hard to get a picture of..

But I like it. Just need more leds rather than singles or a way to disperse the light more

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
"etched" plexi?
That translucent white stuff

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was for sure thinking that but I don't know how hard it would be to fill in the letters perfect enough with that. It would be hard to cut out the exact shapes

·
Registered
35 Posts
if the back side is open you could cut out a sheet and use transparent vinyl and apply it to one side or add plastic weld with clear plexi or acrylic to it and it will mold to the existing plastic. Thats how I used to do it. If you need more help pm me.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
lol no no no one seen that he had 2 different color socks on lol that's awesome!!!!!!!!

lol by the way, I have a RS 5.0 as well and I love how urs is turning out
(Saw it, one black, one white, didn't comment on it)

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not sure why I started wearing a white on my right and black on my left but I started 7 years ago and haven't missed a day yet so now it is just like a thing I can't stop doing now haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.